As a loyal Surface supporter, THIS MIGHT BE THE STRAW... 20% idle BACK ON SP3!

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by be77solo, Jul 6, 2014.

1. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, subject says it all, but I'm yet again dumbfounded/livid with Microsoft and their driver/software/engineer team....

The SP2 was plagued with a ~20% System/System Interrupts CPU problem.... they FINALLY fixed it last month on the SP2 after we struggled with hot devices, poor battery life, and wasted performance for a simple firmware issue that essentially rendered the device useless for it's purposes unless you kept the task manager open 24/7 to monitor and restart as needed, killing productivity.

The SP3 has the exact same problem... see pic:

SP3_SysInterupts.jpg

I noticed my battery was lower than expected and the SP3 was hotter than normal.... checked task manager, and sure enough, EXACT same problem that drove me (and plenty others) insane on the SP2.

Add this on top of the wifi issues that requires I literally reset the wifi adapter EVERY SINGLE TIME THE SP3 SLEEPS OR REBOOTS!!! :confused::mad::(

Microsoft is a joke, plain and simple and shouldn't be selling hardware. The only thing sadder is me giving these yahoos the benefit of the doubt for A THIRD TIME! At this point I'm the jackass I suppose.

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Could we just hold off on this until Tuesday? It's only day after tomorrow...

3. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

This is a well documented problem on answers.microsoft.com that we all were told to "just wait a month longer" for a solution promised every "MS Update Tuesday" for November 2013, December 2013 (I'll ignore the issues THIS update caused), January 2014, February 2014, March 2014, April 2014, May 2014, and finally, in June of 2014 Microsoft issued a fix. Now, what am I suppose to say when it's now JULY 2014 and I've got their new device (scratching my head why :confused:) that replaced the previous device, yet has, in addition to it's own new gaggle of issues, the previous issue that took 9 months to fix???

People need to see this stuff. If it bothers Microsoft, they'll fix it. And if not, they'll just pawn the whole mess over to Nokia or give up all together.

EDIT: Added last line

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  4. bkydcmpr

bkydcmpr Scribbler - Standard Member

I can't see what's going on in your tiny screenshot.

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I'm sorry Steve, but I tend to agree with be77solo. Most of these problems are common to THE SAME ISSUES that occurred with the Surface Pro 2 - and that doesn't bode well for Microsoft's engineering prowess. I will wait for Tuesday, but not holding my breath. In fact, it looks like they are very focused on IE and Windows security vulnerabilities. We'll see...:eek:

It has gotten so bad on the WiFi side (cutting out intermittently while browsing and EVERY TIME it goes to sleep) that I rolled back to the April drivers...I'll even settle for S#^&&* power drain during sleep if they just give us a reliable WiFi driver. :rolleyes:

PS - despite my bellyaching, it is still the best hybrid/convertible/converged device I've ever used - WHEN it works.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  6. rwerksman

rwerksman Scribbler - Standard Member

It feels like the Venue 11 Pro all over again - crap drivers & shoddy engineering dooming what it potentially a great device. Hopefully they can do *something* on Tuesday.

7. kontrol1

kontrol1 Scribbler - Standard Member

Having similar issues overall. The device is a bit of a downer at the moment.

On my type cover the clickpad is disabled when device comes out of sleep. I have to physically remove the keyboard and attach it back for the clickpad to work again.

Wait continues.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  8. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

One thing I've learnt about Microsoft products is it doesn't pay to be "loyal". If one of their products doesn't work for you, dump it and don't look back. As a Windows Phone user I know first hand that Microsoft rarely if ever reciprocates such feelings of "loyalty", they will drop support for your product in an instant if they want and expect you to buy another one to fix problems they left unresolved.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

After switching back to the original 04/24/14 Marvell driver, I only lost 11% overnight, but best of all it awoke and WiFi was working, I didn't do this the first time I reverted, so no telling what other intervening tricks I tried from the various recommendations are interacting with it, but at least WiFi awoke as well, although battery depletion is still there, just not as bad.

10. r11

r11 Scribbler - Standard Member

Have none of these issues. Noticed it was getting hot when I first got it, but quick investigation revealed it was the indexer. After killin it dead, she's nice and cool to the touch.

I am as stock as it gets - let it install the updates, didn't install/remove any drivers etc.

Did go and remove useless Metro apps - Weather, Bing etc . Keeping the News (nice alternative to brain-dead Flipboard).