Artist's Dilemma and general issues with the C-140

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Vertrucio, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vertrucio

Vertrucio Pen Pal - Newbie

So, I recently got my C-140X and I really like it. It does exactly what I want it to, moderate gaming/3D performance allowing me to play light games and more importantly work on 3D models using this PC. All the while I can draw on screen for digital drawing or painting.

But I have some problems related to how I work in programs like photoshop and painter. Namely, my use of hotkeys, I use them a lot.

So, in order to have access to hotkeys I have to leave the screen in the default position like a normal laptop and draw on there. The problem then is that the screen shifts back as I put pressure on it. However, if I flip the screen into slate mode I lose all my hotkeys, and even if I program the screen buttons to do photoshop tasks there just aren't enough buttons for the hotkeys I use.

Secondly, do I really need to recalibrate each time I switch landscape modes? I was hoping that the system would store calibration info for both primary and secondary landscape modes seperately, but every time I switch between slate and normal laptop I have to recalibrate and that gets pretty annoying.

These problems are small, but are so intrinsic to how I work while digital painting that I'm actually considering a return for a normal more powerful laptop and just using my intuos tablet.

2. area52

area52 Scribbler - Standard Member

Perhaps you could use AutoHotkey. Its freeware and open source. I think it can automate almost any repetitve tasks you might have. I don't recall how difficult it is to program the scripts.

3. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

pen flicks.

you can customize the flicks to do what you want. there are 8 flick possibilities.

4. TribalGeek

TribalGeek Pen Pal - Newbie

I have not tried this but I was wondering if it would be possible to attach a USB keyboard. I know it defeats the portable aspect, but let's face it, this is a great tablet, so if you're not on the go, a separate keyboard giving you all the Photoshop shortcut keys would make this a fantastic tool.

5. n0s4ra2

n0s4ra2 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have this same problem and I use 2 work around one is the belkin n52 it’s a gaming controller but the keys are programmable works on all version of windows.

[​IMG]

And I use a program called Quick Buttons.
    http://www.mjtnet.com/quickbuttons.htm

QuickButtons allows you to create an "AppBar" with buttons that simulate keystrokes.

And I have also reprogrammed the buttons on my c140 details can be found here

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=7723

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. pibach

pibach Scribbler - Standard Member

I found the Vista pen flicks to slow down the pen responsiveness. Also you cannot sufficiently customize it. StrokeIt is a much more powerful solution. You can have unlimited number of gestures and all sort of key combinations or programs assigned to it. And it is activated by the pen button, thus has no impact on pen performance in normal use.

7. AlbertDeschesne

AlbertDeschesne Wants a Mac Convertable!

I use photoshop to color comics and was trying to figure out a way to use my new c-140x to it's utmost. Since I'll be coloring generally at home I got this:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard/devices/3289&cl=us,en

I'm using it while the notebook is in tablet mode and it acts like an easel when I'm using photoshop or painter. It elevates the book for airflow AND I get a cordless keyboard for those shortcuts.

Hope this helps you.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. Vertrucio

Vertrucio Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks guys, the stroke it program is very useful. I downloaded it, haven't used it that much, but I've already got it configured to do the undo command in photoshop and already I find it amazingly useful for just that. The next thing is using it to open up the brush panel. Does a pretty good job of replacing hotkeys. Now I just have to learn all the possible gestures.

The logitech station looks very useful, I'll definitely get that once I have the money. I need a new keyboard anyway and trying to hold the laptop up while in tablet mode is a bit difficult.

9. geoghrr

geoghrr Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the same issue using Photoshop. i downloaded the free version of "QuickButtons" .... http://www.mjtnet.com/quickbuttons.htm...

It works great while in slate mode...I also opted to build a simple easel that allows me to use in the standart laptop mode cause 15 years of using keyboard shortcuts is a hard habit to break

10. AlbertDeschesne

AlbertDeschesne Wants a Mac Convertable!

Can you post a picture of this set up so we may stea... er get inspired to build our own version? If it's small enough I may make a version of this to carry in the laptop bag.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.