Artists Central - Share experiences, issues, solutions and advice for digital artists

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by TheWerewolf, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

:D high resolution tracking....thank you thadwald.

I just tried doing that and it improves the hovering/tracking performance quite a bit, quite close to Wacom levels. It jitters alot, and with the additional circle overlay it wont work with the brush tool in photoshop....but this shows it is at least possiable to calibrate/increase the hovering accuracy. Does anyone know if its possiable to set the pen for High Resolution Tracking as default? This might solve alot of my pen problems.

2. thadwald

thadwald Scribbler - Standard Member

I imagine that N-trig did this to save the pen battery. If you want to disable this feature you can do so by disabling the pen button in the Windows Pen and Touch Dialog and taping in the pen button so that it is permanently pressed.

While I don't sketch or do other artwork with the slate, this is an issue for me as well. If I want to resize a window, for example, I hover the pen until I get the resize cursor. Since the tracking in hover mode is only within about 20 pixels, touching the screen often makes the "click" miss the target. This is the reason why I would like to hide the pen cursor. The actual pen is always dead-on (mine is anyway) without calibration, regardless of pen tilt so it is quite easy to consistently hit within a few pixles of the target.

I have my doubts that this is related to the random click issue. The random click is caused when the digitizer somehow loses communication with the pen and switches to touch mode. The communication failure happens, regardless of whether I am inking or not. To test this, I opened paint and started a continuous line of ink. The ink would skip periodically and if my finger was touching the screen, I would get a touch event.

Edit: You could also not tape the button in and just hold it whenever you need hi-res tracking... this may crimp your style though.

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just tried disabling the pen button. Didn't have much luck taping the button down, but I held it down and the tracking worked better. Sad to say though it didn't improve photoshop performance with the Brush Tool, that still seems to be a driver issue. But regardless that tracking tip is very good to know. Pity N-trig doesn't offer that as a configuarable setting. It may save battery life, but having to hold down the button is annoying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.