Artists Central - Share experiences, issues, solutions and advice for digital artists

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by TheWerewolf, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

If your Core2 Duo Tosh with 3GB has trouble with a 108MB psd file...pardon my cra***ess but you must have a really crap tablet. My old Gateway Tablet which had a 1.06 core2duo and only 2 gigs of Ram could easily handle a 108 MB psd file. Even my 1.6ghz Core2duo X61 handles 200+ MB photoshop files with ease. Heck even before I upgraded it to 4 gb, 2 gb was more than enough for the most part. And most of my psd files have near to 100+ layers.

The Jessica Rabbit File isn't even remotely in the class of needing a graphics powerhouse desktop. And all of my issues are with the N-trig tech, the Slates Netbook guts seem to have no real issues aside from saving/closing delays. But it has yet to crash, doesn't lag, etc. All the pen related issues I'm having remain the same regardless if the PSD file is 10 or 100 MBs.

What do you think I've been trying to do? I"m testing this device, putting it through its paces, trying to find a use for it which I did with Flat coloring, Can't you see that? Yeah I'm making complaints along the line because there are issues with it. I'm not going to blindly ignore the problems.

Do you really want a 2nd one so bad you want me to sell mine? I've said repeatedly that I have no intention of selling my slate. Maybe I also want a small flash capable internet tablet, maybe I want a small touch tablet that can run windows programs, maybe N-trig will correct the problems down the line, but regardless of whatever reason I have I do not want to sell it. What part of that are you not comprehending?

2. darkmagistric

...the board censors c-r-a-s-s-n-e-s-s but not crap? :confused:

3. darkmagistric

Its really easy with Photoshop. Find some lineart on the web, (the link I posted is a great place), open it in photoshop, - open the channels windows - hit the dotted circle icon on the bottom left of the channel window- Select/inverse - create a new layer, and Edit/Fill with a black color. This gives you a new layer with the lineart. Throw a white background on a layer under it, and start coloring under the newly preped lineart. Depending on the lineart you may have to do some clean-up, but for beginners practice it should be fine as is for the most part.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...the N-trig Pen, while active, it isn't as accurate down to the pixel as wacom...>>

dark: A good observation. Your post caused me to fire up my Slate, my XT2 and my TC1100 for a quick comparison test. I reproduced your result (a behavior I had not noticed before) but I also took time to also check what happens when the nib is in contact with the screen.

<> On the TC1100, which uses Wacom, the cursor fine-tracks the pen nib in hover as you report and also when the nib is in contact with the screen.

<> On the Slate, the cursor jumps from location to location as the pen moves in hover, but once the pen is in contact with the screen, the cursor fine-tracks the pen nib. A subtlety is that the nib must be slightly compressed to "activate" the fine tracking.

<> On the XT2, the behavior is similar to the Slate (of course), but the transition to fine tracking seems to be more sensitive; that is, you have to press the Slate pen, but the XT2 pen doesn't seem to require such conscious effort.

I find this interesting because I have been having problems with an application, too; on the XT2, everything is fine, but on the Slate, I can't seem to get the same level of reliable character recognition. I occurs to me that the seemingly minor transition from "coarse" hover tracking to "fine" contact tracking might explain my problems. And that wouldn't surprise me, either; as much as anything else, a good inking experience can rely on very subtle factors, like this one...

Thanks for bringing this up. Rep power to you.

5. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Interesting... I just stumbled on this today and gave my T580 a try. The little dot on the screen tracks the pen without having to touch the pen to the screen at all. The hover distance is considerably less than my Wacom TC1100 or LS800, but the T580 is not skipping about at all and seems to be fairly comparible. Slight movements to the pen nib causes a reactionary movement to the dot.

Is your test being conducted in Photoshop only or in general with the screen while in any application?

6. dceggert

Okay, I may have to put that last post on hold. Here is what I did to test this; I hovered the pen over the screen and then slowly moved it around and watched what happened to the dot on the screen. It tracked very well under that circumstance.

What I did next was to move the pen as if I was trying to shade in something with short and very quick movements like one would do with colored pencils. While moving the pen quickly with small strokes there was a lag to the movement on the screen.

Is it possible that this is related to pen movement speeds?

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I just...gave my T580 a try...>>

Dan: Good that you've reported on this, but be careful what conclusions are drawn. The T580 uses some different hardware components than the Slate...

8. dceggert

Steve,
    Yes, good point. It should help identify, however, if this is N-trig or not, and I suspect it is. Here is a graphic to explain what I found:

[​IMG]

Please excuse the crudeness of the illustration but it should demonstrate what I found.

If you move the pen back and forth while hovering closely and keep the motion very slow in a straight line with about a 1" stroke the curser tracking will follow the whole length ("a"). The faster you then try to move the pen the tracking narrows toward the center ("b" and "c"). It is acting as if there is heavy damping on the curser movement.

See if this is the case with the State as well. When I am around my TC1100 later I will check that machine out as well.

9. darkmagistric

For the hovering accuracy test I was just hovering over the desktop, and didn't have any programs running.

But don't really move the Pen around, just Jitter the tip around. And if you can do it with a Wacom penabled tablet at the same time. That was how I noticed this, I was using my Slate along with my Ls800.

10. thadwald

thadwald Scribbler - Standard Member

pressing the pen button or the nib majes it switch to high resolution tracking

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.