Artists Central - Share experiences, issues, solutions and advice for digital artists

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by TheWerewolf, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWerewolf

TheWerewolf Care for a bite?

Do you go to MFF or EF?

2. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

This year I might do mff, won't know until last min. Shoot me your AIM via note :), we can chat.

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ba humbug! Its me again for another round of fun filled N-trig Horror. ^_^

Since my sketch/painting style is utterly incompatiable with the responsivness of the N-trig pen, I'm still trying to find some Art Use for the Slate. I'm come to the conclusion that coloring lineart is partially in the realm of possability.

Despite Latinvixen's success with inking, I find sketching and inking in Photoshop to still be an equally miserable experince and I've been using the slate quite a bit lately and I still haven't managed to adjust to N-trig. Maybe its because I'm still con-currently using wacom tablets for other art work, maybe I need to quit Wacom for a week or 2 and just use N-trig.

So for the current test, I found some nice Lineart from Sean Ellery's Art Gallery - http://www.seanellery.com/ - Lineart

I wanted something not too complex to color and the Jessica Rabbit Lineart is perfect - (pencils by Leah Cramer - inks by 'devgear' on deviantart.com)

[​IMG]

So opening Photoshop CS3, I began to flatten this busty *****. But I not going easy on my Slate with this test. Photoshop CS3, at 300 DPI, at pixel width/height of 3116/4892. Essentially, the professional size standard for comic book coloring.

[​IMG]

I did have some trouble with coloring in the smaller parts like the hands, hair, microphone and gun, but it didn't result in nearly as many errors as outright sketching or inking would. But thats just the nature of flatting, so this is plus in N-trigs favor.

Now the next step is the proper coloring/shading/smudeing/etc. Everything EXCEPT HAIR

[​IMG]

Small wonders, most of my coloring is pretty much still possiable. Since I use the smudge tool quite a bit, I didn't really have any trouble coloring this. However there were some parts I didn't want to smudge but the broken looking brush strokes left me no choice.

As of this point, I'm now working on a 103 MB psd file with 32 Layers. Despite Photoshop more or less raping the Atom, The Slate seems to be handleing this in strides. The only issue I'm having is saving/closing the file since it takes upwards of 3-5 minutes to do so.

The next step will be Hair Rendering.....which I'm fairley certain is not going to go nearly as well, given the poor responsivness of the pen when it comes to smalller more delicate brush strokes.

And then after that, I will eliminate the lineart and make this more of a proper painting. I'm not optamistic with that part either, but we'll see how it turns out soon enough.

4. watchdog

watchdog Scribbler - Standard Member

I need to learn how to digitally color.

5. tikiroom32

tikiroom32 Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I finally got my slate and I have to say that I was extremely disappointed with the ntrig pen. I have a HP tm2 with wacom pen so using the slate is like using technology from years past. The pen is just really to unresponsive and hard to use. I was using sketchbook pro and artrage and was really hopeful that this device would fill my travel needs but personally I would not recommend to any artists.

So I sold it on eBay and might try the asus eee note that has wacom technology.

For future if HP offered a version of the slate with an upgraded wacom screen then I would be there because I liked the size and computer on its own.

Well off to the asus boards.

Cheers.

6. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

As always I wish it was wacom, it would be so very very perfect no joke at all there. Ntrig has a ton of downfalls specially the more I get to use it. I do all my main art on a wacom tablet pc, and I switch on and off. I will say I do like sketching on the slate but mostly just in art rage now, I really like that colored pencil look on paper.

For small stuff, doodles things here and there the slate is fine. But really serious business art yeah I wouldn't suggest it as your main art computer at all.

I just like that it replaced my netbook yet I can still draw on it and has an hdmi port so I can see my movies on the larger tv :D.

Quick little doodles I love doing on the slate :D
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/latinvixen/5422600835/

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

One thing I've noticed is that the N-trig Pen, while active, it isn't as accurate down to the pixel as wacom. If you have a Wacom Pen, hold the pen steady but try to move the pen around very slightly, or rather try to jitter the pen instead of outright moving it around. The Wacom screen will still accurately track the pen's hovering no matter how small the pixel distance.

Now do the same thing with the N-trig Pen on the Slate. Despite having a significantly bigger tip/nib, you can jitter the pen in small circles before it detects movements.

8. thadwald

thadwald Scribbler - Standard Member

I've noticed the same thing with my slate. I wonder if there is a way of turning off the little hover dot on the screen. It is counterproductive because it doesn't accurately represent where the pen will hit anyway.

9. TheWerewolf

TheWerewolf Care for a bite?

I seem to be either more flexible, more adapable or just luckier.

While I agree that the Wacom is a better choice, I've had significant problems with the one on my Tosh M700 - and overall, few problems with the Slate.

From reading the posts here, there are two specific issues that strike me immediately.

Darkmagestrik is trying to use a 2GB single core Atom system to edit a 32 layer PS file that's hitting 108MB. Even my Core2Duo Tosh TabletPC with 3GB RAM would have some issues with that. This isn't a desktop replacement - think 'notepad' not graphics powerhouse.

Latinvixen's comments are somewhat vaguer, so it's hard to discuss, but I know in my case, I'm become more adjusted to how the nTrig works and I'm finding it easier to use with time.

I guess in both cases, my suggestion is that you're trying to make it work like a Wacom when it isn't and focussing too much on why it's not the same rather than learning to us it as it is.

For example, I regularly zoom in and out and draw at scale a piece at a time. I do this on both systems , so for me it's not even something I have to think about.

In the end, for me, the Slate has the advantage of high portability. I got the chance to try an Asus EP121 last week and it was like trying to hold the Toshiba M700.. big and heavy. I carry the Slate literally everywhere - I wouldn't do that with the Asus.

When I get an idea for a drawing - I just pull it out and start drawing.

Ah well. Hopefully someone will come out with a Wacom based tablet for you - but I suspect that'll only help Latinvixen.

Good luck.

Personally, I stick with my original suggestion - Darkmagestik should sell his Slate and get an EP121. Clearly, this isn't working for him - why prolong the pain?

10. krelvinaz

krelvinaz Systems Analyst

Netbook would be a better comparison. My notebook is much more powerful than the Slate and my Netbook. It is also a lot heavier, not a tabletPC etc..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.