Artists Central - Share experiences, issues, solutions and advice for digital artists

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by TheWerewolf, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWerewolf

TheWerewolf Care for a bite?

I happen to think that the HP Slate 500 makes an amazing drawing pad. It's not perfect, of course - what is?

Rather than getting into a negative space, I'd like to propose this thread as a place where people can post their experiences with various art applications, suggest new ones, document problems and limitations and suggest solutions to those problems.

My own experiences have been with Tablet PCs, UMPC, a wide range of Wacom and non-Wacom digitisers and of course, 'natural' media.

My apps of choice are ArtRage and Photoshop, but I also use Painter and Sketchbook.

I've also done 3D modelling and rendering using StrataStudio Pro.

I've made some videos of basic drawing in a bunch of apps to give a sense of how they do on the Slate.

Art Rage Pro: YouTube - Art Rage Pro on HP Slate 500
    Corel Painter 11: YouTube - Corel Painter 11 on HP Slate 500
    Photoshop CS3: YouTube - Photoshop CS3 on HP Slate 500
    Poser 7: YouTube - Poser 7 on HP Slate 500
    Autodesk's Sketchbook 2010: YouTube - sketchbook
    Strata Studio CX 5.5: YouTube - Strata Studio CX 5.5 on HP Slate 500

I've just tried Sai and while it works, it doesn't recognise the pen pressure at all. I suspect there's a problem with the nTrig's WinTab driver.

In general, it works well with Microsoft Ink based apps (like Microsoft Paint that comes with Windows7) and not so well with nTrig's WinTab driver, which is still very new and rough. Photoshop is a WinTab app and it does recognise the nTrig WinTab driver, but people have had seen some very weird behaviours using this combination.

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I think these will speak for themselves

First the Brush Stroke Warm up Round

[​IMG]

Then the Reference Model

[​IMG]

Round 1: Ntrig Vs Wacom - Brush Size 9

[​IMG]

Round 2: Ntrig Vs Wacom - Brush Size 3

[​IMG]

Round 3: Ntrig Vs Wacom - 15 minute Sketch Paint

[​IMG]

3. darkmagistric

Here is also a comparison of Pressure

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just as I've been saying from the Get go, Ntrigs Wintab driver is utter garbage and you can clearly see how its broken in comparison to Wacom.

4. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

Great thread. I will post all my findings when it finally arrives :). I hope like anything I can just get used to the ntrig stuff and be able to use it for the convention work I need it for :).

5. Rick

Rick Sr. Manager, Innovation and Experience

thanks, good info, I will have this investigated.

Rick

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

To reiterate, I'm not sure it's fair to demand that the N-trig pen behave in an identical way to the Wacom pen; it's a different system. I don't disagree that N-trig's pressure sensitivity seems coarser than Wacom's, but I wonder if some practice might not go a long to mitigating this issue. As far as the WinTab .dll is concerned, I won't judge because I don't really use any apps that require it.

However, I'm glad this topic has come up again, because some of us have been badgering N-trig to address issues like this for years. Some progress has been made, but maybe now is the time to really get their attention focused...

7. darkmagistric

I'm not looking for identical, so much as just looking for usable. I will cop to the fact that it is partially unfair to ntrig since Wacom really has no competition in the tablet PC market as far as digitizers goes, so for artists like me I have no choice but to hold it against Wacom. but if they can't churn out a comparable product..then that's not going to change.

In my first comparison of the simple brush strokes, although I show the Ntrig one first, I did the Wacom one first and I tried recreating it on the Slate...only look at it. From my testing, the Ntrig digitizer can detect light strokes...but only if the pen retains contact. Once the tip leaves the surface its won't always register for a light stroke the next time contact is made. You can clearly see the negative effect it has on my art. And in case of the painted sketch...rendering hair is near impossible. As is, I can archive better results on the Ipad with the Boxwave Stylus.

8. darkmagistric

And as far as other art applications go.

Artrage - Only played around with for a bit...looks more responsive compared to Photoshop, but I need to spend more time until I can make an accurate assessment. I plan on playing with that much more today.

Paint Tool Sai - No Pressure, and I haven't spend too much time with it, but it appears to have the same brush contact problem I have in photoshop.

Corel Painter X - Once it opens, the program keeps crashing.
    Corel Photo Paint X3 - Ditto as Painter, odd my Slate does not seem to like Corel programs. But others have gotten painter working, I'm going to try reinstalling them to see if that solves the problem.

AZ Drawing - Won't open at all

Sketchbook Pro - Will try to install this week

Manga Studio - I don't have

9. watchdog

watchdog Scribbler - Standard Member

I only ordered a slate early last week, I primarily use Artrage which I think is the greatest art program ever. I suppose I could share my experiences with my Tm2 but I probably wont get the slate any time soon.
    What exactly is Sai that several people keep mentioning?

10. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

SAI is a japanese art program that is very much like Open Canvas (you can find it in english online). A small yet powerful little program that I would suggest everyone try. Too bad that the wintab drivers aren't working with SAI, I love doing work on it.

Look it up as Paint Tool SAI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.