Artist with an ~$800 budget looking for a Wacom enabled pen tablet or similar.

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by fachiri1808, Sep 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fachiri1808

fachiri1808 Pen Pal - Newbie

I will be willing to go up to $1000, but I would rather not if I could help it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

According to this page - Link the Microsoft Surface 64GB has just fallen into the sub $800 price region. If you are a student you could probably get another $50-$100 off the price at the US microsoft store. (The surface is being discounted and some believe this is because the new Surface Pro 2 or Pro Plus is coming out soon.)

If you want a bigger screen you would have to go above $800. The Pro is being used by quite a few artists, just make sure you have the latest drivers so it supports all your favourite applications.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. T-ravisty

T-ravisty Scribbler - Standard Member

I use and recommend the Lenovo x230t
    You can pick it up for ~$800-1000.

It's a convertible which is awesome as you've got the added bonus of both tablet and laptop.

Regarding the pressure sensitivity, which is always a hot topic misconception of TabletPC's, all of them have 256 pressure levels. All of them.
    The Surface which I believe advertises as 1024... Yeah, nah... That's a driver hack which in reality I believe still registers as 256 - I don't know all the technicalities, but that's how it is.
    It takes time to get used to, but after a week of use you'll hardly notice it.

Anyway, I wrote a review for the x230t here.

It's a brilliant budget machine and is quite upgradeable.
    Since purchasing it (I purchased a refurbished model for $850 when it was still going for $1300 new) I have upgraded the RAM from 8 - 16GB ($200) and it's added a world of difference, I needed it for After Effects.
    You can also upgrade the HDD to an SSD or whatnot and you can also add an mSata drive.
    I plan on adding a mSata for boot and programs and a 1TB HDD for storage.

It also has a full voltage CPU and detachable batteries which is great for those long days away from a power plug.

But this all comes down to how long you plan to keep it, if you want a convertible or slate and how strict you are for your budget.

In the review the pro's outweigh the cons.
    I need to do an updated review, along with pictures.
    Ont thing I should add, the WiFi issue in tablet mode is fine when close to the router, but when you're (20m+) it dwindles... Just buy a USB adaptor and you're set.

I've been doing freelance work on this and it's paid for itself several times over in the short time I've owned it.

Any further q's about it ask here or PM me.
    All the best, mate.

EDIT: Also the x230t is supposed to have better 3D performance as opposed to other TabletPC's on the current market due to better thermals or whatnot whereas the others temperature throttle.

4. Zero

Zero Scribbler - Standard Member

I'd recommend the T901 over the X230t. I've used both machines and the T901 had a much better digitizer.

Since it's an older model , the price has went down.

e.g.:
    New Fujitsu LifeBook T901 13 3" i5 Tablet PC Convertible Laptop | eBay

BTW , Fujitsu doesn't have a wireless card whitelist like Lenovo does.

Also, I've owned the X230t (brand new) since June of 2012. I bought it when it first came out

I've bought a few upgrades on my own so I ended up spending around $1400 after all was said and done.

5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

If you do opt for the T901, try to find one with Nvidia GPU. They are rare, but are available and will make Zbrush and Maya run a lot better. It would be on par to the new HD4000 integrated GPU found in the X230t and T902.
    I have found digitizer "accuracy" and calibration tends to vary wildly from machine to machine and is a general setback of the Wacom EMR boards they use in these things. Some T902's have worse edge drift than others up to a centimetre difference in some spots sometimes. I have seen videos of people showing their X220t edge drift, and it looks totally normal to me, my T902 had it that bad before I carefully calibrated it to be not as bad. It still drifts away from my pen tip up to a centimetre in some problem spots near the edge of the screen. Just be aware that even though a Fujitsu may have a better chance of being calibrated better than the average Lenovo, there will be overlap somewhere. Zero may have gotten a worse implementation than Travisty, and someone may have had a T901 with worse accuracy on the screen than Zero. It's kind of a crapshoot, but we are still talking difference of millimetres here. It's just something you get used to, unless in the rare case something is actually wrong, in which case you should send it in for a replacement.
    One nice thing about the T901 is the aspect ratio will feel roomier than the X230t. 16:10 vs. 16:9 at equivalent res.

I would also suggest looking into the Samsung ATIV 700t. It's getting cheaper and as far the slates go is a very smooth experience, bar that terrible keyboard connector.

6. Zero

T-ravisty, I've had no problems with my Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 AGN wireless card in any mode. What wireless card does your X230t have?

7. doobiedoobiedum

8. Zero

It says New Unit in Factory Sealed Box from Fujitsu....

That specific one has a Three year International Limited Warranty.

9. doobiedoobiedum

Learnt a new trick there, never realised you could get new on Ebay.

Thanks for that.

10. T-ravisty

T-ravisty Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey Zero,

I've got a Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205, I don't know what the "AGN" stands for or if it differs to mine, but it doesn't say that in Device Manager and I don't have the time to dig through the wardrobe for the box.

I agree, I'd suggest the t901 just for the 16:10 ratio.
    This is my first tabletPC, so I can only stick with what I know.

I should also note that the prices in Australia are inflated something stupid.
    So, for when I got my x230t for AUD $850 ~6 months ago that was a steal.
    We generally have a $200-400 price hike on laptops here; but again, that's also relevant to your config.

(eg. Dell M6700 new in AUS = $6500, new in US = $4000)