Artist perspective on Sony Vaio Duo 13... pending fixes.

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by stoneseeker, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Thanks Stone. I have to say, I would be reluctant to recommend the Flip series simply because there is no longer a "real" company supporting it and I have read of so many people experiencing problems with theirs. I just couldn't resist trying a returnable refurb for $425 and lucked out - it may be bad luck to say this, but within its design limits, it is performing perfectly. I do love having an active digitizer on a 13.3" screen and, as a writer only, the N-trig is really better than I recall the Wacom on my older HP 2740p, Fujitsu T730 and Thinkpad X201. Also, the method of conversion to tablet is the best I have ever seen, and it appears to be quite robust. That said, the values available on new X230Ts floating around are the best bets in the market now; I've seen them as low as $600!

BTW, sorry I didn't get to weigh in on your companion tablet ordeal. I went under the knife for some surgery during most of it, and didn't have much more to contribute by the time I discovered it. How are you liking it? I have found my ancient (lol) Note 8 to be an indispensible companion though the S Pen functionality has greatly improved since then and I imagine it is pretty good in your model. I do detest the feel of the included pen against the screen, truly feels like hard plastic against glass. Would you think it better to get a screen protector (none are custom made for the GN8, but I'm not particular about appearance) or a Wacom stylus with a softer nib - if so, have a suggestion (I own a Bamboo Feel so would prefer to use a nib that could go into it.)

Cheers,
    Jeff

Jeff

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I have a screen protector on my NotePRO 12.2 I found it on Amazon for $8 for 4! It's fine, but the nibs in the S-Pen are terrible. As far as I know there aren't any alternatives. It's like a rubber grippy pen nib I would rather felt or plastic since thats what I'm used to.
    AFAIK all pens suffer the offset issue with the NotePro so I can't use my axiotron or fuji pen since they are all 2cm off the whole time. Its annoying.
    Do you know of any pens that are better (thicker, more nib selection) that DO work with the NotePro properly? I would buy from Wacom if tht was the case, but the only solution I found is to buy a spare S-Pen and put it into a real pen container modified to house it, making it more ergonomic for longer drawing sessions.

3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I just tested with every TabletPC pen I have and they all are offset. Only the SPen is accurately calibrated. The Bamboo Feel (Black and Carbon) had the least offset.

4. stoneseeker

that's what I thought. Thanks for trying!
    It's weird, but I guess if the sensor is closer to the tip of the pen it makes sense. No calibration software for it certainly doesn't help. I'm surprised that Wacom doesn't release calibrator or pressure curve editor etc for the Android devices that use Wacom.

5. lovelaptops

I have had pretty good luck with this Wacom Bamboo Feel Stylus for Galaxy Note (make sure to get version for GN, not for SP1 &2 - they have special tech to use this version of "Feel" stylus. It feels much better on glass, not felt but much softer than my S Pen (which is likely somewhat different than yours, as it is from GN8, it is hard plastic and just slides like skates on ice on the GN8 glass surface) but not grippy or rubber like, at least as I perceive it. I got it from an Amazon merchant for $19.99 barely used. However, on a screen protector I am a bit concerned that this tip might feel grippy. But I just realized - this stylus comes with three different nibs and can take even more options made by Wacom for this stylus. I'll have to find where I stashed the other 2 that came with this. I rejected them for this softer one because on glass it felt the best. The others were hard, like plastic. One last point: I think this stylus is ever so lightly off-calibrated, I believe, compared to the built in S Pen, which is virtually dead-on perfect. I'll try comparing them again tomorrow to update. If the Bamboo is slightly off, it is ever so slight and 100% consistent throughout the area of the screen.

6. stoneseeker

That is the point of most interest to me. Are you using the NotePRO 12.2? Because the other pens are terribly off-calibrated on the 12.2 because the pen sensor is closer to the tip of the pen in the small Spen unlike the larger pens that come with other tabletPC's. But maybe its tolerable in the Wacom pen that is made for the device, I didn't realize they had one just for the NotePro.

Please let us know how much difference there is!

7. lovelaptops

I have a Galaxy Note 8 and I'd have to say it's something of a crap shoot as to whether this Wacom Bamboo Feel Stylus (said to be compatible with all Wacom Galaxy note products including the Note Pro 12.2. You might want to read the owner reviews on Amazon (I linked the product in an earlier post) and see if there are comments from Note Pro 12.2 owners. Otherwise, you can always try it and return if it doesn't work well so if you are very dissatisfied with what you have it is probably well worth the try. Though I reported a slight offset on my Note 8 in an earlier post (vs. the S Pen included with the Note 8) I have since done a series of A/B comparisons on my N8 and revise my opinion that this is not the case and there is no offset greater than the S Pen's and it is ever so slight that I consider it more than acceptable, likely even for art (though I only do handwriting) - certainly far better than the Wacom pens I used with my tablet PCs of yore: HP 2740, Fujitsu T730, Thinkpad X201. I'd look for a price of $30 or under on eBay or Amazon vendor offerings and give it a try ( the Amazon marketplace offers the same return privileges as Amazon direct supply and they will definitely give a full refund if you report the pen to have an unacceptable offset. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.