Artist perspective on Sony Vaio Duo 13... pending fixes.

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by stoneseeker, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steven

steven Pen Pal - Newbie

Celsys has been offering an english version of Clip Studio Paint by themselves for a while now which has lead to speculations if the collaboration between Smith Micro and Celsys will continue in the future (also because SmithMicro apparently is now only allowed to make boxed versions of the software available while Celsys themselves offer the downloadable version).
    If i didn't already own Manga Studio 5 EX i'd buy CSP, simply because one gets the updates faster.

pictogramax likes this.
  2. gerg

gerg Scribbler - Standard Member

The 5.0.2 update from Smith Micro was a download. The web site requires you to enter your product key first.

3. steven

steven Pen Pal - Newbie

not sure if your response is adressed to me, gerg, but yes, updates from Smith Micro are still available as downloads.
    For new customers who don't already own an earlier version of Manga Studio though the option to buy the software as a downloadable from Smith Micro is no longer given. Smith Micro now only offers physical copies to be purchased to new customers while Celsys offers the downloadable version.
    However Smith Micro Germany still offers the downloadable english language version.

4. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi, as for the ArtRage problem,yes the shipped version has issue with only registering half-pressure, but it can be SOLVED by updating it (FREE) to 3.5.9. However you need to register in order to update. Before registration, you open the help menu - change serial number, record the SN because that will be needed to register. After registration, you can download Artrage 3.5.9, which solves the half pressure problem and vector problem completely! You can also obtain a $25 discount from Artrage to upgrade to Artrage 4 at $25.

Other problem, like initial stroke lag, can be solved on some condition (pending investigation). I mainly use the pen to take notes and I noticed the annoying initial stroke lag. But in the period when I was doing driver update, I tested the pen WITHOUT any lag at all. However both before and after I updated the drivers, the pen went lagging again. My thought was some drivers were hindering the pen's performance, probably a graphic card driver or touch screen driver. I also suspect that the battery saving feature of some components, be it CPU or graphic card, is making the pen less responsive. But I'm confident that it was not the digitizer's problem since I observed it completely hassle free during one of the stages when I was doing driver update.

stoneseeker likes this.
  5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That sounds very promising for a couple of reasons, one of which being if initial stroke lag is bugging people when they're just taking notes, then it's the sort of issue which may actually get attention by the Sony engineers. I suspect that business users will take priority as they probably outnumber artists 20 to 1.

Have you tried disabling a bunch of other drivers, (touch input, battery saving, gpu acceleration and such) to see if the stylus input can be improved? It would be cool to be able to isolate the issue and work from there.

I've got a couple of biggish invoices in the works, and when the bux start to flow I'm very seriously thinking of picking one of the Sony 15" Flips up for myself as a prize for being a good boy this past year, and if the N-Trig tech can be made to behave in the Duo 13, then chances are it'll be viable in the Flip line.

I hear they start shipping units in mid-November.

stoneseeker likes this.
  6. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

I haven't seen the initial stroke lag in the recent week. Probably fixed by itself (some updates in the background). Yes, it works perfectly fine with note taking now, no notable difference from my Wacom equipped Asus Vivotab.

7. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

I've been a good boy this year! I've been battling for the past 2 weeks, almost having sleepless nights whether to get the Wacom x230t or the N-trig flip 15. That has been a battle! I'm not a professional, don't intend to shift career this late in life and I have a very good day job. So I'm just a hobbyist and because I have no intentions of using photoshop I guess I've made my mind and go for this bad boy.

Over the horizon looks promising. Check out what this guy does on his VAIO on CSP. Hopefully MS5 can replicate that:
    [video=youtube_share;4FhtnKzmxfQ]http://youtu.be/4FhtnKzmxfQ[/video]

That sold me out.

The thing is that it seems that if you order today you wouldn't get it until mid Dec.

I'm waiting to see a discount code around and I'll press the BUY button that has been sitting in cart for days now. I'm hoping this thing is user-upgradable as I'm getting the lowest specs possible so I can pimp it myself.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

stoneseeker and Clerish like this.
  8. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

@ron2k: I just came upon this thread and read it through and was certain it would end with your final decision and a report out as to how things worked out. Imagine my disappointment when it ends with the eve of decision and stops cold!

You probably updated things elsewhere, but could you just let me know what you bought and how it is working out for you? I got a Flip 13 refurb, net cost $425, so it was a no-brainer. A big surprise was that, after relatively tolerable amount of driver/setting tweaks, it's performance and stability are, well, better than I ever expect, all the more so with a machine that has troubled so many souls. Ntrig duosense performs flawlessly for handwriting. I can't do art so I can't comment on that.

Peace,
    Jeff

9. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Ron2k has been a proud advocate of the X230t!

But glad to hear the Flip is working well for you. Ntrig is catching up for sure.

10. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

I ended up buying a Lenovo x230t. I, from the beginning, knew that the flip was going to be enough for my amateur art sessions and infrequent note taking at office meetings. And I did pressed that "Buy" button. But Sony ended up cancelling my order because I was sending my machine to a Freight Forwarder. So I ended up buying the machine I've always wanted but gave me seconds thoughts because I wanted recreation, serious hubby work and Office machine all in one device.

Oh boy, did I make a good decision! This machine chews heavy tasks like child play. Couldn't be happier with the performance and reliability. To satisfy my need for media consumption I bought an SP1 and a Galaxy Note 8. These last 2 devices have been replaced (and my x230t complemented) with an SP3. Good combo.

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.