Artist on the tightest budget ever looking for a slate/convertible

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Scraxel, Mar 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scraxel

Scraxel Pen Pal - Newbie

1. What is your budget?
    -170$ 200$ might be stretching it

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    -Don't really have a choice now :)

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    -Notebook convertible

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    -12.1in and above

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    -USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    -Preferably using Wacom Technology

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    -2 hours

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    -Drawing, painting and low polygon 3D modeling.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    -It doesn't matter what OS it comes in or if it comes with none at all, as long as it uses an X86 architecture.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    -Wings3D, Gimp, Mypaint, Krita, Blender

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    - I let the hardware decide what games I can play

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    -No

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    -1024 x 768 and above, something that can fit in a backpack.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    -Will be using it outdoors, glare isn't much of a problem

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    -Yes, with pressure sensitivity, prefer Wacom

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    -30GB at the least

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    -2 USB slots, headphone port, I got enough adapters to solve the rest

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    -nah
    2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    -Don't recommend the LE1600, its a fine machine but I'd like a keyboard, I hated paying for a proprietary keyboard.

Now I've done some searching and I have no doubts I can find something for my budget, Right now I'm eyeing a Lenovo X61 tablet I'm afraid of input lag after I saw a youtube video and there aren't any artists I know who use it. If you have an X61 tablet please tell me what you think about it.
    I hear the Portege M400 and M200 are pretty nice but I can't find any M400's on ebay for my budget, I've seen some M200's though, Also hear those Fujitsu tablets are pretty good too.

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Save a search in Ebay for your items available internationally for the following Wacom tabletPC's and wait until one strikes within your budget:

-Fujitsu T5010
    -HP 2730p
    -Toshiba M4?, M7, M400
    -Lenovo X200t ... unlikely that cheap... A few artists have enjoyed it, some hate the worse edge drift.
    -HP TM2... you never know, used can go pretty cheap. Screen is terrible viewing angles though.

3. Scraxel

Scraxel Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the list, greatly appreciated.
    I got my hopes up when i searched X200 then realised I should've been searching x200t

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

There are a lot of great older machines to experiment with. Not so many years ago, this could not have been said and digital arts were off limits to people short on funds.

It's worth keeping in mind that old doesn't mean 'bad' by any stretch of the imagination. (Or rather, ONLY by a stretch of the imagination; people love their new and shiny, but few of us truly *need* the kind of computing power available in newer models). I mean, yeah, 3D applications are always moving ahead, so these older machines are best suited for 2D work. But dinged up, 'slow' hardware from 2005 is entirely capable of running drawing software at a pro level if you tweak things right.

I mean, I was doing print quality Photoshop work on an old 900 Mhz Pentium with 256 Mb of RAM back in the 90's and I felt like I was driving a Ferrari. --My current 2 Ghz, 2 Gigs of RAM 'old' TabletPC is lightyears ahead of that situation, so I feel like I live in Star Trek today. Perspective, eh?

I personally like the M200 for a starter machine, though it has its hassles to get up and running. And there are a couple of M4's I've been seeing for less than $50, (though they're heavy and need a hardware hack to fix their native cooling issues, but they're just awesome machines, imho, yet to be topped in terms of screen dims). --And if you don't mind a 1280 x 800 12" screen, then the 2730Ps are going for sub $250 these days, and they're beautiful pieces of engineering.

Though, unless you take your time and troll the auctions carefully for a few weeks, I think realistically you should expect to spend up to $300 when all is said and done, (including shipping, maxing out the RAM, getting a new battery, etc.)

5. freewilly

freewilly Pen Pal - Newbie

I had an M200 and really loved that hi-rez screen. DIDN'T like the viewing angles and the VERY restrictive BIOS, or the pen lag. Now have a 2740p amd an x220 and really love the touchscreen, unnoticeable lag, and and extreme viewing angles. I got both of them from Craigslist, though for more than your budget, but saved a lot of bux. I've seen plenty that fall within your budget, sporting dual cores, on Craigslist.
    With so many people itching to buy slate Android tablets 'n such, the prices asked for convertible tablets seems to have gone down.. at least in B.C., where I live. ..Willy.

6. meow9th

meow9th Scribbler - Standard Member

I used an X61t for 3 years for notetaking (not an artist, sorry). I never noticed any input lag and was perfectly happy with the digitizer.

7. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Programs matter too.

I was just playing with Manga Studio 5 on my le1600, with a single core Pentium and 2 gb ram. I was running, just for fun, a.... Get this.... A 14,000 x 11,000 canvas, 4 or 5 layers, just fine. Inking, sketching, no real lag at all. Sai is also a dream on these older machines. I can easily run a 6000 x 6000 canvas with many layers on it too.

So, the le1600 is an option as a slate, IMO, and should come in right at the budget. Has on screen programmable bezel buttons too. Get a newer battery for it and you'll be good to go.

Just a thought. My point is mostly that these older tablet pcs are find for line work and ink work, and some color work too.

8. alicepattinson

alicepattinson Scribbler - Standard Member

Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 :)

9. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

But his budget is under 200$ max. The TPT2 is about triple to quadruple his budget!

10. meow9th

meow9th Scribbler - Standard Member

alicepattinson just really loves the TPT2. =D