Artist Needing Laptop/2in1/MobileWorkstation

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Beefers, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Beefers

Beefers Pen Pal - Newbie

Long time lurker, this is my first time posting though, but I'm getting dangerously close to my financial goal for a new upgrade, I was eyeing the Surface Book 2 but I'm wondering about everyone's opinions on alternatives??

EDIT: As an extra note, I'm asking about alternatives because for the work I do it isn't terribly heavy so if I can save money buying something cheaper I'd gladly do so

1. What is your budget?
    $1500-2500 (willing to go any higher or lower)

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Nope

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Has to have windows

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • Above 13-inches (though 13 is fine for me as well)

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    No Brand Preference

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    At least 5 hours

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Creativity work: drawing, animation, light 3d work

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Has to be Windows OS

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Photoshop,Clipstudio,SketchbookPro,Toonboom

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    Maybe.. (honestly if I can run Destiny 2, Guild Wars 2, Warframe comfortably I'm fine, I don't PC game much)

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    Nothing besides basic screensharing/light streaming with video or music (I sometimes stream my art)

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    I really want 4k (2000x3000 or more)

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    I might take it cafes but they tend to be glare-free so no problems

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    I NEED a pen, even if I hafta buy it separately that's okay with me, no preference for tech, don't really use tilt either

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    Don't really care to expand, 512GB SSD minimum, or if any lower than that an SD Cardslot or USB-C Thunderbolt would be great
    2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    Would prefer USB-C, doesn't hafta be thunderbolt, should be 3rd gen though, one usb 3 for my mouse would be nice (if not i can use an adaptor its ok)

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    Nah

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    I'm kinda eyeing the HP ZBook x360 with P1000 Quadro, if anybody has info on this device that'd be great
    I'm wondering if anyone here has used the 13" model for the Surface Book 2 would love experiences and opinions on that particular one, thanks!

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I do have the 15" Surface Book 2 and briefly had the first gen 13.5" last year.
    I can only advise you in case you go for the SB2 to try and get accustomed with the pen (has to be the Surface pen, not another compatible and cheaper pen) for at least a week before deciding if you like it or hate it. It takes some time to get used to it.
    And it also takes a second of use of a Wacom emr pen like in the Galaxy Book to understand how big the difference still is.

As much as I love the SB2 If I were you I would consider the Zbook X2 instead.

3. Beefers

Beefers Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, it seems like the zbook is more what I'm looking for, the x360 is interesting me because I hear the P1000 quadro is really good for content creating (and 3d work)

It's a loooot of money I just feel so much on the fence haha

4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

If you don't mind a unit that is not a tablet nor a yoga convertible, Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme or Thinkpad P1 will be a better buy for you IMO. P1 gives you Xeon and Quadro option where X1 Extreme sticks with Hexacore i7 and GTX 1050 Ti.

Both machines gives you easy upgrade for 2 SoDIMM slots and 2 NVMe slots as well.

As I said, they don't Yoga, but their screens do lie flat. But I prefer to flip the unit upside down with the screen on the desk while flipping the UI 180 in software.

5. Beefers

Beefers Pen Pal - Newbie

I have looked at the yoga machines and they are pretty neat but I am more partial to 2in1s atm as I already own a gaming rig and pen monitor

I kinda just want a secondary or replacement workstation that I can take on the go and get medium productivity work done (photoshop, sketchbook pro, flash) nothing 4k or 3000dpi or anything but def can handle many layers

6. Shogmaster

Term 2 in 1 refers to both yoga or twist and lay down type convertibles, as well as detachables. It's not exclusives to detachables or something.

Anyways, if you want something in detachable form factor, the HP ZBook X2 is as powerful as it gets atm.

7. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I don't understand why OEM's keep making powerful machines like this with pen interface then limit them by not giving them 360 hinges...

The P1 does not have pen interface correct?

8. Shogmaster

P1 4K has pen like X1 Extreme 4K.

9. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

le sigh

10. Shogmaster

Hey at least the Thinkpad twins have screens that lays flat. Dell XPS 15 9570's 4K AES 2.0 screen doesn't even do that so it's upside down mode time. lolz

DRTigerlilly likes this.