Artist looking for a work tablet to draw & animate with.

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Jakten, May 26, 2020.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If you can, I would look for the Notebook 9 Pen, it was sort of the successor to the Notebook 9 Pro....the main benefit is the bottom bezel is slimmer (so you get more screen) and it has thunderbolt 3 ports. But power wise they should be comparable. (If you go for the Pro, just make sure it has 8th gen)

Now the best pen for the Samsung Notebook 9 Pro or 9 Pen.....is the HP Zbook x2 pen. Both the Zbook and the Samsung S-pen devices use the exact same pen digitizers so the pens are cross compatible. Long before I bought the zBook I had the a Samsung Galaxy Book 10.6 and I bought the Zbook Pen from HP's part department. As far as non-cintiq EMR pens go, its the current king. Mainly because it has a Cintiq like design, and it has a cintiq styled backend eraser. Also it uses different nibs then the ones Samsung uses, they are rounded and less pointy/sharp, which I greatly prefer.

I was on the fence between getting the Notebook 9 Pen and my Zbook x2 about 7 months ago. My focus for this period was more on coding and typing then artwork and I knew I was gonna be hooking it up to multiple monitor set ups. That's where the zbooks detachable bluetooth keyboard really shines since you can arrange the keyboard however you like depending on your multi-monitor set up. I very quickly fell in love with this feature. But barring a similar aspiration for going all multi-monitor crazy like I did, the Samsung offerings should suit you well.

T-ravisty, thatcomicsguy and Dekus like this.
  2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Am I the only guy who prefers the N9Pro over N9Pen and Galaxy Flex? I really don't think the .5" more diagonal screen is worth:
    1, Finger print magnet paint jobs (Shiny metalluc blue + greasy fingerprints don't go together)
    2. Giving up 2 perfectly useful USB-A ports vs Galaxy Flex (WHERE AM I GONNA STICK IN MY EXPRESSKY REMOTE USB FOB?!?)
    3. Paying Intel 10th gen tax for similar performance (14nm+++++ Go+++++ yourself Intel!)
    4. More annoying to get out of silo pen design (I have click and hope that it pops the pen out the first try? Can you make that pop out button any smaller?!?)

Especially in light of the $999 sale at MS Store, I would stick with good old Notebook 9 Pro until Sammy uses Ryzen 5000 SoC or something with next batch...

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It would be an easier choice to make if Samsung USA didn't crippled the Flex 15's specs. The rest of the world is getting 16GB Ram and MX250 Graphics, yet the US for whatever reason gets stuck with 12GB and Iris. One additional factor is the screen quality. Even though The N9P, N9PEN, and Flex, all have the same relative resolution, the screen in the flex is allegedly much better with color quality. I played around with the N9Pro at Best Buy many times, and I found its screen quality kind of lacking. As for the silo stylus, I'd rather treat that as a backup thats nice to have if need be. For serious art use, you'd have to get one of the bigger pen options anyway. As far as the lack of type A ports, get used to it, its 2020, those ports are going away eventually. If anything I would blame Wacom for not offering the Express Key remote in Bluetooth or USB-C.

4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm not sure Qdot is worth another 60% of the cost tbh... If I have it I won't complain but I hardly found myself thinking N9Pro's screen is lacking in the color department when I go back and forth between it and 22HD (I know its colors are not stellar either but...).

As for silo pen, When I first got the N9Pro, I immediately bought a bigger pen for it. I bought a spare Fujitsu dual barrel button pen and Galaxy Tab S3 pen later after realizing the cursor was way off the mark with the Fujitsu and other older UD pens and that Wacom will NEVER provide Samsung EMR devices with Feel driver to map the barrel buttons anyways. But as I used the N9Pro, I just keep ending up reaching for the silo pen over and over instead of going into the bag to search for the S3 pen because I had no problem using the silo pen in long duration! Also, I fn HATE the way the rubber nib of the S3 pen robs a good several grams of IAF, and I found some replacement silo pens that comes with the much better hard plastic nibs to give me all the way down to 1 gram IAF the pen is capable of! I just don't have the death grip some people have on their pens as they draw I guess... That death grip will also never let you properly enjoy all of the IAF anyways. I'm good with the silo pen thanks!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  5. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

I will also recommend a Samsung Notebook 9 Pro for your specific application.

I was a long time Galaxy Book 12 user and got a Notebook 9 Pro recently. I was a personally a bit surprised to find that I didn't really mind the difference between a detachable tablet versus having to fold the screen back. I've found a couple of additional unexpected pros to the more traditional form factor. First, I no longer have to deal with intermittent connectivity issues between screen and keyboard. I also really like being able to type things on my lap with a dedicated keyboard and traditional weight balance. I love the dedicated pen storage, albeit with a thin pen. I'm also feeling like I'm free to swim around the UI with a 15" screen. I like that it can be taken apart, so components can be replaced if need be.

The only con really is that it's a full pound heavier and 1-2" taller/wider, so it just feels so much more unwiedy compared to the GB12. It no longer feels like a sketchbook but a true laptop.

Since I'm starting to get into lightweight 3D animation, I needed a dedicated GPU. And while the N9P I have (2018 edition) uses a Radeon instead of my preference for NVidia, I find that I'm more limited by the amount of video ram (2GB) than speed at the moment. I do find that the N9P 2018 seems to be in a nice used-price sweet spot right now for me (I got mine recently in near-mint condition for $600). So I'm probably going to sit out the latest round of Flex or Notebook 9 Pen (I'm limiting myself to Wacom EMR), and hope they increase VRAM eventually.