Artist here, need a new painting tablet-pc! Help

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Dekus, May 14, 2020.

1. Dekus

Dekus Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi! :)

Just joined since I've been reading this forum once in a while and there seem to be good knowledge here and a lot of people.
    I need help with a tablet-pc combo.

Right now I have a 2400 euro (2600usd) HP Zbook X2 tablet pc with i7, 16Gigs Ram, 512Gb M2, and Nvidia Quadro gfx.
    I love that it's a matte screen, has the buttons on sides of the screen like a Wacom Cintiq and that the pen is big and thick like Wacom Intuos pens.
    But.. It's insanely heavy.. massive.. the keyboard is a flippy-floppy one.. so it is absolutely impossible to use on your lap. And as I sometimes paint outdoors and need to bump up the brightness up to 100%, the battery lasts like 2-3 hours because of heavy Photoshop usage and the 4K screen.

So I am 100% willing to give up on this HP Zbook and get something more useful. So here I am for your help guys :)

TLDR: Have HP Zbook X2. Too heavy. Need something more mobile and usable for like 1500USD.
    Had Refurbished, upgraded Fujitsu T5010 before and loved it. Used it much more often.

Here's what I would want/need:

Screen: 13.5 inches and up. IPS. 90% sRGB and up. Good brightness for outdoor usage. A matte screen is a BIG big bonus!

Resolution: Full-HD and up. But Please no 4K! Hate 4K heh.

Form-Factor: 360 degree 2-in-1 laptop or Tilty-swivel screen like Fujitsu had.

Pen tech: Wacom EMR REQUIRED

Budget: Around 1500USD. I'll sell my 2500USD HP Zbook and buy this new one.

RAM: 8Gb minimum, preferred 16Gigs.

Other stuff: Usb 3.0 A, usb-c, if there are programmable buttons around the screen then it's a bonus but not necessary. Graphics card is not so important. As long as it runs latest Photoshop and Blender. Maybe Zbrush.

Thank you for any kind of help in advance! :)

T-ravisty likes this.
  2. Lilawyn

Lilawyn Pen Pal - Newbie

As far as I know, there's not a single system that fits all of your requirements that you don't already own. There just aren't a lot of EMR tablets on the market, and even fewer that can be had for 1500USD. If you're willing to compromise on a few things, like not having USB A ports, or not having a graphics card, you might be able to find a good system that fits all of the rest of your requirements.
    • the Samsung Notebook 9 Pen has 90% of sRGB and an okay battery life for drawing, though its screen is a little washed out compared to other more vibrant screens and its sound quality is pretty meh. The 15" ocean blue version can be found on ebay for under 1500USD. It may be difficult to find a model that has a graphics card versus onboard graphics since pickings on the Pen are slim. You can find this one with 8GB or 16GB. There are no USB A ports on this machine.
    • the Samsung Galaxy Flex has ~100% of sRGB, has a really vibrant screen. It was just released, so its top-of-the-line in regards to processor, onboard iris graphics (or graphics card). You can find this model in 8GB, 12GB, or 16GB. But a word of warning, the 15" 16GB model has only been released in Korea. If you want 16GB, you'd need to look on ebay and you might end up paying a premium (~2000USD). There are no USB A ports on this machine either.
    • there's also a more budget version of the Flex, the Samsung Galaxy Flex Alpha that's being released, but I'm not sure if it'll be offered in the size you're looking for. (I've mostly seen it for sale with the 13.3" screen).

Dekus and thatcomicsguy like this.
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

4. Dekus

Dekus Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for your reply! :)
    Yeahh.. From the past half a year of searching it seems as if the Notebook 9 Pen is the best choice.. as far as I know it only has a glossy screen right? That is a big disappointment.. Because all other points are checked. My Fujitsu T5010 had a matte screen and the HP Zbook x2 has a veeeery paper feeling matte screen out of the box. It's amazing.
    Although.... I could just get a matte screen protector for the N9Pen. hmm.

And yeah, I saw 16Gb 15 inch version on Amazon for like 1490 USD or something. Very interested in buying it!
    Any idea if the HP Zbook X2 EMR pen works with the Samsung N9Pen right away?

Eh, if only the HP Zbook would be a normal laptop where I could use it on my lap outdoors - it would be like the most perfect artist tool ever created. (oh and if it would be 2K resolution.. the 4K is absolutely stupid)

T-ravisty likes this.
  5. Dekus

Dekus Pen Pal - Newbie

It looks not bad :) but still it has the flippy-flapping keyboard it seems.. that was the main point of why I want to get rid of my HP Zbook x2 now.

Any ideas if the HP Zbook EMR pen works with the Samsung N9Pen straight away?
    Cuz the HP pen is the closest in similarity to Wacom Intuos pens

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

keep in mind the Zbook was designed as a “Workstation” and to that is performs excellent. I have my Zbook hooked up to multiple monitors and the flippy flappy keyboard is a Godsend since you can arrange the keyboard around whatever your work space set up is. But outdoor on the lap usage is a different story and not really what the Zbook was meant for.

The Newly released Galaxy Boom Flex is perhaps your best bet in my opinion. And I can confirm that the Zbooks Pen will indeed work on Samsung S-pen devices...and vice versa.

T-ravisty, Lilawyn and Marty like this.
  7. Dekus

Dekus Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I sometimes paint and draw, so I took my Zbook to places and outdoors too to paint from life.
    Since it has a color-accurate matte screen, a Wacom EMR Intuos style pen and Wacom Cintiq style buttons around the screen - one would think it's sort of a portable Wacom Cintiq.. and not a workstation that you just put on desk, hook up monitors to and leave it there. What's the whole point in making it a tablet then..
    If I need a workstation, I buy a big desktop PC with the best workstation parts :)

I just remember when I had the Fujitsu T5010 I took it everywhere and drew/painted almost daily. Since the screen was on a hinge so I could put it on my lap, tilt the screen and paint while using keyboard shortcuts :)

But it's a veery old laptop.. So I began to search for something newer and tried out the Zbook. But now I draw way less since it's a huge hassle to operate the extremely heavy tablet :D

I haven't heard about this Boom Flex! I'll check it out :) Thanks!
    Btw Samsung does not sell notebooks in Europe. zero. Nothing at all. It's annoying.. :/

8. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

You might have caught on to this already, but he meant Galaxy BOOK Flex. FWIW, I second this choice too. It features QLED, which looks as good as AMOLED w/o the insane power consumption. There is supposedly an outdoor mode that cranks up the brightness to something like 600 nits. Might be useful for you since you like to draw outdoors. It's also crazy light... 13" is 2.5 lbs, 15" is 3.4lbs. Not sure how easy it is though to get your hands on an import since Samsung doesn't have a presence in Europe for laptops.

9. Fritomaster

Fritomaster Pen Pal - Newbie

I will say my phone is 603 nits and when outdoors it adjusts the screen to be even more readable and in the sun here its still almost unusable.

In the shade though its more passable. I have a laptop that is around 300 and I can't use it even in the shade unless im drawing dark colors on bright background. If I'm doing a small contrast adjustment its useless if its sunny out.

10. Dekus

Dekus Pen Pal - Newbie

aah okey thanks!
    The book Flex is better than the samsung Notebook 9 Pen? and both have the Wacom EMR pen?
    I can barely find any places to buy the N9Pen.. theres a couple of suspicious auctions on ebay and on amazon it reads that this item does not post in your country.. :/
    eh..