Artist for the Tablet?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by poetdante, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. efraim siounis

efraim siounis Pen Pal - Newbie

Ive done my research but no Tablet PC website pimps the illustration aspect of a Tablet PC.

I am a professional illustrator that uses, Illustrator, Photoshop and especially Corel Painter. I need about 2 GHz and 1 Gig or Ram. I need to be durable, consider Id be taking it everywhere and 12.1+'' display. The rest is butterscotch.

I found a few models with this sort of options but my real question is, is a tablet PC good for illustrators? Which ones are (that fit the above criteria)?

Finally, any artists on the forums to pass up some reviews?
    I called WACOM and considered the Cintiqu but its about 4000 which is insane. They inform me that a TPC has 256 levels of pressure and no tilt functions. Where as a Cintiqu has 1024 levels and tilt functions and ra ra ra.

Do you guys notice a difrence?

Thank you.
    Efraim Siounis

2. Phil

Phil Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey efraim,

I'm just about byuing a tablet pc too and I'm a character animator, drawer etc...

I found out the motion computing LE 1600 to be the one with the most beautiful display and the lighter (3.3 lbs).
    I'm not so sure about the power you're asking for. Theis one has a 1.5 Ghz with 512 Mo ( extendable ) and it comes for 2199 bucks by default. It also have a very good autonomy, more than 3 hours with the regular battery, 8 hours !!! with the extended one.

Just check it out on the manufacturers website : www.motioncomputing.com

Hope it helps !

3. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

4. efraim siounis

efraim siounis Pen Pal - Newbie

i keep being refered to the http://tinyurl.com/cz4mj and something from motion computing. Though I dunno about motion computing.

Man, the fact that TPCs dont market for artists bothers me you know. Like how usefull can they be to a guy that ONLY needs them for drawing eh?

e*

5. poetdante

I don't personally like drawing on them. then again I am not an artist.

6. kingjimmi

kingjimmi Pen Pal - Newbie

7. Parjoe

Parjoe Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm an artist too and I've been shopping for a tablet pc. I've been mostly looking at the slates.

The best/only slates appear to be the Motion le1600, Fujitsu stylistic st5030, Sahara i215, and the Electrovaya Scribbler sc3000. I'm leaning towards the scribbler myself, but actually I think the hp1100 has the best design of all the tablets. I just wish it had a bigger screen.

Anyway, the motion is beautiful and everyone raves about the screen, but I just can't get past the "ledge" it has around the screen. I think that would be so annoying when trying to draw. With the other slates the screen is flush with the edge.

You can get a Cintiq 21x for $2500 in the states (maybe elsewhere too, I'm not sure). Now, if the cintiq were wireless I think it'd be worth it.

This site is great btw. I've been lurking here for a couple months and I've learned so much about tablet pcs. You can also try tabletpcbuzz.com if you haven't already.

8. poetdante

ok. let me make this as clear as possible: hp only makes good printers. as for the slates, motion computing is the best from what I hear. I don't know about the rest but I have had hp desktops and laptops and they were never satisfactory

9. Daring

Daring Moderator

If you're going to be doing a lot of sketching, particularly somewhere where you don't have your lap to use to lay the tablet on, think light. Slates are going to have a definate advantage here, thin and light is there strength, battery life is generally quite good too.

In spite of poetdantes opinion of the TC1100, I still think it is one of the most innovative convertables on the market today. That said, the screen is a bit small, but may work for your needs. With regard to HP quality it is fine. Are all HP's free from problems, of course not, but no manufacturer is. I personally have a Compaq notebook, an HP tablet, and a HP desktop in my home. None have had any problems at all. Further, we have over 1000 sales reps currently using Compaq or HP laptops (and have had for nearly 4 years), our failure rate dropped from about 11% for Dell to about 8% for the HP.

10. poetdante

sorry. but I as well as everyone at my school, work, and personal life all had and have bad experience with hp. At work they all rejoyced to hear we were getting IBMs. I lost 5 computers to bad hardware in hp pavilion desktops and 1 laptop. Now my dad and sister have dells (my dad is an online teacher and the dell was given to him by the school board) as well as a friend who is going to Rose Hullman University (sorry if the name is wrong. it is some top tech university in Indiana) which they were required to get. maybe the bad experience extends to only me and the people I know. maybe it is not. all i know is that I and everyone I know does not like hp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.