Artdock guide-- compatibility and links

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve B, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Hmmm, ok. So then I guess my follow up question is two fold-

a) can we use the existing script on a toolbar like the Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar and have the option of turning it into a Touch optimized toolbar by somehow making it scaleable?? Then I could put it at the side of my tablet's screen, just like the Artdock, and use it with Touch input while drawing. I figure then, if people want to adjust it per program, then they could modify the layout as needed, and we'd all gain the benefit of a touch-optimized AHK UI that could run on any computer, and

b) at the least, if that's not doable (or even if it is) it ought to be relatively straight forward to make a large, touch-optimized Middle-click button (perhaps even scaleable?) that could then "Unhide" the existing pen-centric script, right? This would allow our current "Hidden UI" iteration to be usable with a pen that didn't have a middle-click option, and it wouldn't even need us to work on the AR Pen-Only Toolbar script to make it scaleable (although it sounds cool too!) . This made some sense to me too, potentially.

Thoughts??

edit-
    Hot d*mn! I want that scaleable functionality for our AR Toolbar...... :)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  2. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, I think resizable toolbars could solve quite a few issues. With art programs that, at last, efficiently differentiate touch from pen input, it will become more and more useful to keep touch ON.

I really like the idea of a simple on-screen resizable button to show/hide the toolbar. This kind of thing could be quite easily implemented I think. And hopefully the resizable ArtRage Pen-Only Toolbar will be coming to a tablet near you in the near future.

I’ve thought quite a few times as to what would be the best way to create something like a “universal toolbar” that could be customized by the user for any program (at least for simple commands). And maybe even change the number of buttons, or switch it from vertical to horizontal, etc. The discussion in the current thread is in fact very useful in finding out what users are looking for when it comes to toolbars, docks etc.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to divert from the subject of this thread about ArtDock-like scripts. Maybe it could be worth starting a general thread about toolbars, docks and other stuff like that: not so much those that already exist, but maybe more about what features users would be interested in. That being said, it’s been quite difficult to get any kind of feedback on this in the past. (Maybe the Photoshop Toolbar thread feels too daunting (because of its size) and others are afraid to contribute to the discussion? Or maybe there’s just not that much interest for toolbars and docks.) Or maybe start something like a "art resources and discussion" thread about all the different gizmos, toolbars, keypads, joysticks, docks, etc. that have been presented around the forum. In fact, I don't know if that was the idea, but maybe it would be worth relocating the major art-related threads that are found here and there into this new Artists subforum.

In the meantime, with a staggeringly small number of manufacturers that “dare” include buttons on the bezel of tablets, scripts like ArtDock are probably still the best way to go (whether Touch is enabled or not). And sorry, I don't have time right now to try to address some of the questions you and others asked in previous posts, but I'll try to come back later.

About the current strategy that is used to resize the PowerPoint Toolbar:
    Other AHK users have developed functions to reposition/resize buttons when a GUI is resized but they didn’t work as well as I wanted when I tried them. I think the one I came up with works very well. Something that some of the other functions do is to reposition the buttons when the toolbar is stretched either horizontally or vertically. Which could also be interesting in itself.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  3. guai33333

guai33333 Pen Pal - Newbie

seems my x201t has problem with artdock

malfunction artdock on x201t - YouTube
    this is video of my symptom.
    sorry for my bad english. isd driver version is 7.0.2-29 downloaded from lenovo official.
    verry recent drivers from wacom.com make artdock totally not working even only with my finger.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  4. guai33333

I confirm that same issue has occurred on other user's x201t.
    so we can't tell it's functioning on x201t.

5. T-ravisty

T-ravisty Scribbler - Standard Member

I'll test for the x230t multi-touch this week.

All the stuff I need is on the first page?

6. Steve B

It would be very interesting to hear if this works for you T-ravisty. Honestly, I'm entirely unsure if everything you need is in the first few posts or not. I've actually never run Artdock as my computer is pen-only.

From Hunter99's post, it seems that running Artdock while running the newest version of Auto Hotkey (instead of the originally recommended version) can somehow make it more compatible. He also gives some basic script modifications in his post (#2 in the thread) that he suggests making. I'm also not sure if you're running Win7 or Win8, but that may make a difference as well. I've also read of people just trying out the Surface Pro Artdock as well-- perhaps it's written slightly differently. Basically, it's a little messy right now, and requires some experimentation.

For now, I would suggest trying it out and seeing what you get. Report back, and we'll go from there. I've tried to add a few new links to the first post to help facilitate research and fact finding, and to potentially get help with the dock. I hope it is from some use. Hopefully, we'll be able to be helpful here, or others will gravitate to the thread to provide input.

edit-
    Also, it's my understanding that there's some sort of info a user of a new type machine might need, in order to run Artdock. I think I read this somewhere. Then you can input it into the Artdock script to get it to work right with that model. Does this ring a bell with anyone? Can anyone provide any help with this?

edit #2-
    I believe I found this info and have posted it as a quote into the first post of the thread. There are a host of new linked threads as well. I hope all this info is of some use.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  7. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey folks:

- To my knowledge, none of these scripts have ever worked correctly on any Lenovo X tablets. The original programmer Koide was not able to make it work on the 220t (although these were early efforts) and he mentioned that it can possibly work on the X201t but that Touch input has to be turned on (i.e. when this script works perfectly, you can turn Touch off and still use it with your fingers.) I'll be eager to see if it works on the X230t.

- You don't have to install anything else than the script and a recent version of AutoHotkey (i.e. the old version of AHK, often called AutoHotkey Basic, does not work with these scripts.) What hunter99 mentions is that you may run into issues if your Windows scaling is greater than 100% (but then, just read his post to surmount these problems.)

- I don't think there have been any report of differences between Win 7 and Win 8 with these scripts. The only (!) major difference is not the script itself: it's that toggling the Touch input On/Off works very differently in Win 7 and Win 8. This has meant that so far the only way to use these scripts in Win 8 with "something like Touch turned off" has been to do it indirectly and use a program called TGuard that can be found elsewhere on this forum.

Hope this helps!

8. guai33333

VID 20131005 213318 - YouTube

here's my video. sorry for its quality.
    as you can see, touch input is on state on the first place.
    then I pushed touch off button of artdock.
    now, none of buttons of artdock responds to my finger.
    the script was none edited, so it's false that "when this script works perfectly, you can turn Touch off and still use it with your fingers"
    actually, once you turn touch off, you cannot use any of artdock function on x201t.

9. Steve B

I think what he's trying to say is that IF the script is working right in your computer, you should be able to do it. Clearly, I agree that it's is currently NOT working in your computer correctly.

I am unsure how to get it to work on your computer correctly. I did, however, add some info on te subject in the first post. I think, unfortunately, its the sort of thing you'll need to do some of the research on yourself if you want to try and get it to work on your computer. I does seem, however, that there is some sort of method outlined, where you have to gather some sort of technical info about your digitizer, etc, that you then can try and input into the "basic" code to gt it to work on your computer. At the very least, it's my understanding that this is what they did to get the script to work on the S7, 700t, and Surface Pro.

10. guai33333

I'm not very optimistic about that.

firstly, I thought I need different two artdock AHK files to compare or change some lines.
    unfortunately, to my knowledge, there are no various artdock version for various devices, just original and one for surface pro.
    if my theory is right, the two of scripts have to contain some differences codes cause they're made for whole different devices.

so I compared two AHK scripts(original one and for surface pro) through some text comparing program in order to where can I fix in the script. result was shocking. they are exactly same files except for lines 14-15 "Gui -DPIscale" in surface pro's. I guess "Gui -DPIscale" is extraneous to wacom or finger touch devices(HID).

the only conclusion is someone who created and understand artdock completely(which is messiah) shows up on this thread
    and explain step by step how he or she made this. I guess steps are following.

1. measuring HID value of particular device.
    2. making AHK file and input codes with 1's result.

I'm wondering which program or autohotkey script was used to find HID values, where I should put those values in artdock's script.
    I assumed that those values are for profiles of devices in the script, but I know it's wrong via above comparing result.