Artdock guide-- compatibility and links

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve B, Aug 31, 2013.

1. guai33333

guai33333 Pen Pal - Newbie

oh, you're right.
    and you mentioned that no n-trig devices are not working but there is an exception,
    I look into ahk file and hp slate 500 is on the profile list.

2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

My question is does the HP slate 500 run Artdock or ahk? All Windows (including Ntrig devices) devices can run ahk, but not all of them can run Artdock, and that is the issue. My understanding is that no one has ever run Artdock on 500 slate. You read other wise somewhere?

3. cleft

cleft Scribbler - Standard Member

I remember that some HP slate 500 user reported it working on Koide's board (only with touch on just like my x201t)

4. hasso

hasso Pen Pal - Newbie

Any News on artdock and Samsung ativ smart pc 500? It does not Work on mine! Any hints?

5. Steve B

I think others here were right- the Atom processors don't work with ArtDock. I really thought they did. :(. I have since removed that info from my first post. Phooey!!

That makes the functional tablets very limited-
    Surface Pro
    Samsung S7 and 700t
    Lenovo x201t
    Asus ep121

Anyone know of anything else that works with ArtDock? That's a pretty limited list, but that's what I think is true.

6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

As long as someone is willing to change the code, theoretically wouldn't artdock work with any intel i-core/windows 7/8 device running Wacom under the hood? The T902, X230t, and the Helix would just need someone to alter the dimensions of the device in the code, right? Or is there compatibility on another deeper level ?

7. Steve B

My understanding is that you're correct. I actually think there's a kind of "how-to" somewhere out there, for how to get the info Artdock needs to communicate to your device. No one seems to be able to do it, or doesn't get around to it. Perhaps the larger issue is that a) artists are the only ones using Artdock, so only devices an artist would want have even the chance of becoming compatible, and b) some programs (like Clip Studio Paint) are getting better at providing Touch input without errant marks, which makes Artdock less of an absolute necesscity. Still, there's LOTS to be gained from its functionality, even if you kept Touch on.

But yes, you're right-- my understanding is its compatible with all/most other tablets, just no one is configuring it.

8. hasso

hasso Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the feedback. I actually found someone (Raoul Duke) who got artdock to run on Samsung 500t.
    See here: game controllers for key commands
    But he stated about his artdock experience(however he got it working on his 500t): "The software is very unresponsive, glitchy and cluttery. You're better off without it."
    So I perceive even in case Artdock would run on my samsung 500t its still not the silver bullet I dreamed of.

Still it would be exciting to have it running- it would be the perfect tool for the digital artist using tablet pc.
    @stoneseeker: Maybe I am going to fiddle around with the profile settings in the upper part of the script, given I find time...

9. Steve B

That's interesting to hear about his 500t experiments. Perhaps it bodes well for the future, as Atom devices get more powerful.

I've actually been playing around with Clip Studio Paint (the original version of Manga Studio 5) on my little q552, and it's made me ponder if there are other solutions for tablets that are not Artdock-compatible-- namely, using something like the Pen-Only Toolbar on a touch-enabled device. I know, that's a bit of an oxymoron, but let me explain...

Clip Studio Paint is the original Japanese version of Manga Studio 5. MS 5 is the English localized version of it. Well, CSP has decided to release their own English version for download. This version has a new Touch-optimized interface, which works great-- bigger buttons, drop-down menus replaced by iPad-style menus (trust me, it works), etc. But even more importantly, I can now Zoom, Pan, and Rotate as well as rest my palm on the screen and never make an errant mark. It's actually pretty amazing. What this means is that Artdock, for a program like CSP, becomes more important for its layout optimization and keyboard shortcuts than it does for its (legitimately amazing) ability to turn off touch everywhere except the Artdock panel. Using a program like CSP, the truth is that I would never want to turn off touch-- it's just to intuitive and amazingly simple to use to want to do otherwise.

Now, I'm beginning to wonder if there's more value in making something/ altering something like the various AHK toolbars, so that they'll have BIG, HD buttons that are touch-optimized, so that we can have all those shortcuts we want so badly, the layout optimization of something like Artdock, and yet not have to moan and groan when we can't get it to run our computers. AHK runs on everyone's device, so that makes things easy. Just a thought.

The real issue is finding out how many of these older AHK scripts can be run with the newer type of AHK that allows scalable UIs. Thoughts? Perhaps I should start a new thread in regards to this. I'll also be organizing links, etc. on this current thread as well. Just fyi.

10. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey Steve,

The current thread is a nice place to share thoughts on these scripts and how to better use touch input in art programs.

The new semester is really kicking my a.. so I'm sorry that I don't really have time to contribute to the discussion. I think you're right in that ideally we shouldn't have to turn touch off and that scripts like ArtDock may eventually need to be repurposed (eventually...) This is especially true since it's not possible to use pen and touch input at the same time (it's one or the other, even when using the ArtDock and the likes).

As to the idea of scalable UI's, I think a better option than to scale the toolbar with the DPI is to have freely resizable toolbars. I've only started to dabble with this but you can see a fully functioning example at around 55 seconds of the video for the PowerPoint Pen-Only Toolbar (yep! I stole the name from you!) here:
    Making the use of PowerPoint on a tablet PC more efficient: the PowerPoint Pen-Only Toolbar - YouTube

In fact, I also wouldn't worry too much about AHK and compatibility: I think the most sensible option is to compile scripts (like thatcomicsguy did for his PS toolbar) so that users don't have to install AHK at all. This is also possible for scripts like ArtDock but, like any other toolbar, it means that once compiled you can't modify it anymore. That's unless you make quite a few modifications to the scripts, which is what I started to do a while ago on the AR Toolbar in order to make it available as a .exe only.