Artdock guide-- compatibility and links

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve B, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

This thread is meant to act as a repository of info on the Artdock script and other scripts related to it (such as the version of it made for the Surface Pro, as well as the PaintDock). All the scripts come from the original rawinputcontroltest script. Just below this post is an excellent post by Hunter99 that goes into the history of the original script, Paint Dock and the more recently evolved Artdock. He also gives excellent advice on how to test whether Artdock will work on your computer, etc. Please read his post if you are going to try to install and run Artdock.

I also understand that it is recommended/ required that you use Touch Guard with Artdock in Win8. This is if you want to turn off touch while drawing, but still have it available within the Artdock panel itself.

Here's the link to DL the basic Artdock script on deviant art.

Here's a link to the thread with all the info on Artdock and running it on the 700t, called "ArtDock for the Samsung Series 7 Slate"

Here's a link to the thread with the version made for the Surface Pro

This is a download link for a pdf tutorial lblb wrote on how to modify and customize the script. It's very useful and should be read by anyone that wants to make artdock have specific buttons that do specific things, etc.

Of course, to modify the script you'll need a text editor. Notepad++ is a good one, with numbered lines. It's free. Here's a link for the download.

Additionally,
    Here's a link to the thread on using and running Paintdock on the S7, called "How to set up your S7 for "Serious Photoshop Work!" Paint dock is an older script that seems abandoned, but it may provide a good resource for info on how these scripts run.

In this thread called "This software for the ep121 looks amazing, can we use it for the slate? Hotkeys" various users go into detail as they adapt the original script for use with the S7. In post #2 of that thread, they want to get a new tablet (the S7 at the time) to "read" the RawInputControlTest script properly. This is the method they outline, and which may be useful for users attempting to run these scripts on a device that has not run the script successfully before--

Currently, my understanding is that Artdock works on the following computers--
    -Samsung S7
    -Samsung 700t
    -Surface Pro (using the version made for it, linked to above)
    -Asus ep 121 slate

Currently, I believe it has been reported that it doesn't work on the following computers-
    -x201t
    -x230t
    -t902??
    -any Ntrig device
    -any Atom device...??

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. hunter99

hunter99 To Old Now

Hi Steve,
    I will try to answer some of your questions. First a little history, back in November 2011 a gentleman by the name of Kodie put out for world to see, a script named rawinputcontroltest version 0.1f. The last version of it I believe is 0.1g and I don't think there will be another as no one has heard from him in quite a while. It is written in the scripting language for AutoHotkey_L v1.1.04.01 or later, the latest version is 1.1.13 .00 dated August 27, 2013.

Here are the links:
    rawinputcontroltest version 0.1f. RawInputControlTest.ahk
    AutoHotkey_L AutoHotkey_L

What is rawinputcontroltest.ahk? First the.ahk says it's a autohotkey script. What does it do that it's so great?
    It puts a GUI on your screen and if you a approach it with your stylus it hides. Then you can write or draw where the GUI was.

Okay what's a GUI, it's what you see on the screen, looks like a bunch of keys and you can touch them and they perform an action.

How does it know what it will look like and what they do? This is done by way of a control file, these are simple text files. By way of the text file, the script (that is the file with the.ahk) knows where to put the keys or controls, what they look like, how big they are, and what they will do. The text file is associated with the script three ways. First they can both have the same name. Second by the variable in the script "ControlSource = ". Or lastly by just dropping the text file onto the script.

So every dock has at least three files, AutoHotkey.exe, "any name".ahk, "any name".txt. The "any name".ahk is Kodie's script which is used in every dock out there. There may be some changes in them, but basically they are all the same. The two most common sizes are 37 KB for the 1f, 50 KB for the 1g. I think a lot of confusion arises from the fact that the original name rawinputcontroltest.ahk was not indicative of what it does.

And then there is no set naming convention for all of these different docks that use the same script. As I tried to show above, the changes in the appearance of the GUI is all done by the control file (that is the text file). One problem was is that no one puts a comment in the text file for what it was written for. Even worse when minor changes were made to the script (that is the.ahk file) no comments or dates were put in.

To answer your question, how are PaintDock and Artdock different?. PaintDock by tbaldree was released in January 2012 using version 0.1f of the script. ArtDock by konartist3d was released in February 2012 using version 0.1g of the script. This script had at least a half a dozen of new controls added. The 0.1g script is backwards compatible with the 0.1f so text files written for the 0.1f will run on the 0.1g. But a text file written for the 0.1g if it contains one of the new controls, won't run on 0.1f script.

About turning the touch on and off, the first script (0.1f) had no on/off keys. The first use of that I believe was lblb's RawInputControl_MultiPanel and he used a little app that he had been using called TM2control. And this works very nicely in Windows 7.

He also included a nice PDF file which is a great tutorial for this stuff ([edit by Steve B/B]- Note: I've added a link to this PDF in post #1, above). Version 0.1g of the script had touch on and off keys, these used register writes to accomplish this. And this worked great in Windows 7 unfortunately Microsoft in its wisdom broke the touchUI in Windows 8. We thought disabling and enabling via the HID was the solution, but unfortunately while it worked it shut off the touch to the dock.

But now we have a app called tguard.exe which I found works fine in both my Windows 8 and 7 machines. You can make adjustments to it if needed if you happen to lose fast brushstrokes, I've seen mention of this but no one saying they had trouble. Steve there is no requirement to turn touch on or off in either Windows 7 or Windows 8, it is just to stop arrant marks while painting. Your question " What if I want to zoom/ pan/ rotate while painting AND use Artdock?" If you mean with finger gestures, then that is correct you can't use tguard.

Okay now for the biggie, what machines will it run on? A month or so ago I would've said you have to have a profile made for your machine. But now I'm not too sure. When fincs made AutoHotkey DPI-aware in version 1.1.11.00 - June 21, 2013 along with the directive "Gui -DPIScale" in the script it seems to work on more machines without a specially made profile. On any machine I would try ArtDock by konartist3d along with the latest version of autohotkey. Never mind for now about the size of the different keys in the GUI, but if the GUI appears move your stylus towards it and it should disappear. In the upper center of the GUI touch the key that looks like a little number pad, a number pad should appear in the center of your screen. If it does you are good to go. If not, touch any of the keys and see if there's any action of any kind, let me know what you get. I'll say this that I my helix on three different profiles it works great and I have my scaling set at 150%. And if you use Zbrush you need it, on that screen.

EDIT: Forgot this, if you try ArtDock as shown above.
    1 Install the latest AutoHotkey.
    2 Then add this at about line #11 "Gui -DPIScale" right after this line "SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%". Disregard the quotes. Do this to these 3 scripts:
    MenuDock.ahk
    alt\AppDock.ahk
    alt\HelperDock.ahk
    The location of line isn't that critical just as long as its before the
    Create GUI line.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2013
  3. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

Nice thread so far guys. I concur with Steve. Finding info on a working ArtDock version was an Odyssey (and a half)...

The version I found in the official thread here in these forums worked pretty nicely in my S7S. I don't really care much about touch off so I haven't tried that button.

The only thing I'd like is to add is Manga Studio 5 to the ArtDock. I have no idea where to begin and that's because I read a jpeg file that was included in the field showing you how to modify the ahk. Does artrage have keyboard commands? I really want to give that program a try and if it has keyboard shortcuts I'd like support for this program added to the ahk as well. Maybe 1 of these days I have the guts to gut out the ahk and explore a bit...

By the way Hunter what was that modification for?

Edit: This guy claims this spun off works on many machines running Windows 8. But I couldn't get it to run on my slate.
    http://gahfe.deviantart.com/art/slatepal-330294614

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  4. Steve B

Thank you for such a detailed reply Hunter 99.

I am now curious, does anyone know which devices these scripts actually work on??? That is one of the primary things I was hoping to collate here.

5. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Steve:
    It's a great idea to group all the info together. I'll try to contribute when I'm back home.

@ron2k_1:
    gahfe was very active and helpful with these scripts (and other AutoHotkey stuff), although I haven't seen him around lately. His Slatepal script (originally published in the Samsung S7 forum: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/samsung/54774-slatepal-dock-developing.html) is directly derived from the original script presented here, so it has all the same advantages/limitations as all the others.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  6. guai33333

guai33333 Pen Pal - Newbie

where did you get that info?
    I have latitude 10 and it does not work.
    I think there's no working artdock or paintdock or slatepal on atom based win8 tablets yet.
    If I'm wrong, plz let me know where I can find those.

7. hunter99

hunter99 To Old Now

Hi ron2k_1:
    Please reread my above post, particularly the first 13 lines after the links. The control file which is the text file is the only file you would need to change to add or make changes to existing keys.
    The script file which is the file with the .ahk extension you would normally never have to get into so don't even worry about it. The JPEG with the instructions on it came from ArtDock by konartist3d, if you open up one of the text files and try matching up with what's on the JPEG it will start to make sense. So in essence when people say they're going to modify the ahk for a certain dock and/or machine they normally are only changing the text file.
    lblb has written a very fine PDF file which explains many things.
    You can get it here:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/ep121-slate/45210-app-better-touch-experience-ep121-2.html

Also you can check out this link, browse through from start to finish at your leisure. A lot of interesting tips.
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/ep121-slate/44844-found-you-great-tool-your-ep121-must-see.html

Your question "Does artrage have keyboard commands?" And the answer is--- in ArtRage 3.5 press F1 key and goto page 122.

Your question "what was that modification for? If you're talking about my edit; that should be put in to every script that is out there if you use AutoHotkey version 1.1.11.00 - June 21, 2013 or up. Read the seven lines above my edit. Sorry I should of been a little more clear on what it was for.

That slatepal script seems to be put out in a hurry, there has been a lot of changes made to it as well as a control added.This one "control: joystick". One second for my favorite rant "I wish people who make changes into the script would note of it in the header with at least the date if not their name". If you read the posts on his webpage you'll note some of the troubles people have with it and the fixes if any.

Steve B:
    Other than the machines listed in the profiles, we know of the Surface Pro and the Helix. As I alluded to in my post there may be more, what with the new versions of AutoHotkey.
    You might think about changing the location of this thread as the Docks and/or AutoHotkey are not just for artists.
    But you are 100% right there should be a place to post all this stuff. I want to thank you at this time for all your hard work. Especially on Labor Day.

hunter99

8. Steve B

Sigh. I think you're right. I did some research, and I now see I was looking at something incorrect. I can't seem to find any info on one of the Atom tablets being able to run it. I thought I saw it, but I guess not. I think it was actually someone using an altered version of the Pen-only toolbar. Sorry! I'll edit the first post on that one.

It did make me wonder though-- there are all these Artdocks, and they're all just ahk scripts, right? Yet someone has gone through all the trouble of setting up the GUIs for different programs. Even if some tablets can't use Artdock, couldn't they still use the script for the buttons, etc? Then, at least, you could press buttons with your fingers, etc. I dunno. It just occurred to me that a lot of the functionality of the Artdock (pressing buttons with your left hand and drawing with the right) can be achieved without being able to simultaneously hold a button down and use the pen. We do a lot of these things in our Pen Only toolbar- it's just not optimized for touch because the buttons are so small.....

Anyways, yeah, you're right. That sucks, though I guess it's better to know it now before I bought a used model off ebay at some point thinking I'd get that functionality... :(

9. guai33333

guai33333 Pen Pal - Newbie

yes, I was s7s user before and change device to latitude 10. I should consider artdock compatibility first and buy device.
    anyway thanks for your reply.

but there a little hope though. clovertrail Vivotab is also atom based tablet like latitude 10 and TPT2 and I have confirmed
    that artdock works on Vivotab via youtube. Win8 Asus Slate using ArtDock w/ Paint Tool Sai - YouTube
    uploader said he had no editing on artdock but just install original version.
    It's pretty strange, available only on Vivotab not on latitude 10 and TPT2, cause they are all similar devices(32bit only, windows8,
    atom process). I guess some guys can shoot this issue and I'm just waiting for that. I have tried but have no idea where I can fix....

10. Steve B

Sadly, that is also the same video that I have been looking at. If you look at the comments, it becomes clear that he had upgraded the tablet from Windows 7 to Windows 8. I'm petty sure he's using an Asus ep121. He never says anywhere that he's using a newer Atom tablet.