ArtDock for the Samsung Series 7 Slate

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Konartist3D, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Konartist3D

Konartist3D Pen Pal - Newbie

[​IMG]

EDIT: There's some report that ArtDock may not work well with Windows 8. Specifically, the touch on/off doesn't work unless you reboot. There's also a report that it stops working after a touch screen firmware upgrade as mentioned in post #36. Use as your own risk. I don't have Win8 so I can't test this out yet.

Base on tbaldree PaintDock I have modify it to support several art programs: Photoshop, Sketchbook Pro, Paint Tool Sai, MyPaint, ZBrush, Maya, TopoGun, Silo and 3DS Max. There's also a generic dock that has common hotkeys incase you want to use it for other programs.

Screenshot and files can be found here. Just click on Download in the upper right.
    ArtDock - An artist script for the Samsung Slate by ~Konartist3D on deviantART

UPDATE: The main download file now has support for the Asus EP121 Slate. Just run file "ArtDock_EP121.ahk" instead.

Autohotkey is require for it to work. I couldn't compile the script to a working exe because of the way it's jumps between different docks.
    Download this file at:

http://www.autohotkey.com/download/

Use version "Installer for AutoHotkey_L" and install as 64-bit.

I make use of the slider buttons a lot and they take a little getting use to but they are super useful because you can get 3 hotkeys for the price of 1. They can be either tap, or tap flick up/down. Most of them have slight delay so you don't trigger them twice by accident which can be annoying on hotkeys that toggles. There are also horizontal slider that is tap flick right/left. A cool side effect is that when you tap and slide right on the Undo slider, it'll keep on undoing. If you slide it back left, it'll redo until you stop.

Just look for the arrows on blue buttons to see what direction to flick. Also read the fine print on buttons as they'll describe what they do or what hotkeys it triggers.

Buttons are color coded. Black is for keys that you tap once. Green are keys you hold down. Yellow are toggle keys and Blue are sliders.

When this script is run, it does't automatically disable touch. There are button to disable/enable touch near the top of the main dock. In addition the rotation lock button becomes the toggle touch on/off button. This way you can turn touch on/off whenever you need to while running this script.

There are screen rotation buttons you can use to switch to Portrait View. They are below the Touch on/off icons.

In between the touch on/off button, there is the Number Pad button. If you need to type in numbers which is pretty frequent when using ZBrush or Maya just load up the Number Pad and minimize it. It'll minimized to the lower right until needed.

All docks have handles enable. That way you can move them around how you like them. In most cases they are the icons in the upper most left (usually using an art program icon).

All the 2D art programs have Portrait Mode. This version of the dock splits the normal docks into two so it'll open up more horizontal space. To access this mode, just tap on the art icon in the main menu and flick right. You'll know which one has Portrait Mode but the little arrow on the upper right. Just be sure to switch to one of the Portrait View first or part of the dock will be offscreen.

Hope you find this version of the script helpful!

*Update: There's some confusion on the blue buttons. They all can be single tap in addition to flick/sliding. The flick types are light blue and now the sliding type are dark blue.

**Update: Silo and 3DS Max are now supported. Included instructions on how to edit MenuDock.

***Update: Big thanks to BadGrim and the original author Koide! This new version should work with the new touch firmware update.

Other than the new profile for the new touch firmware, I noticed some other changes: It auto detects what slate you have and load the proper profile. It also looks like it support 3 other tablets: HP Slate 500, HP tm2 and Thinkpad x201. Of course I can't test all of this so let me know which ones are confirm to work.

I've added left handed mode. Just load ArtDock_Lefty.ahk. Should be the same as the regular version but all docks loads on the right instead.

Rotation Lock Button which became touch toggle is now disabled by default. I figure because of the troubles with Win8 CP and the new support for other slates, most people wouldn't want it on. Instructions to re-enable are in the ArtDock_Instruction.jpg file.

2. tly80

tly80 Pen Pal - Newbie

wow. just wow. Haven't tried it yet, but just for the time spent and all the programs covered... THANKS for sharing!

3. tly80

tly80 Pen Pal - Newbie

After testing it in photoshop, I remembered that my touch calibration is quite average to mediocre at the border-corner. So the tab-sliding buttons don't all work for me. I can't get the eraser for example :(
    But using the undo is brilliant now, brush size too. I may split the brush- eraser into 2 normal buttons.
    But still, brilliant!

4. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Man K3D, you're insane! Just installed your little masterpiece on my EP121 and it's awesome! And don't worry about the lack of comments so far, it's just a lot to absorb all at once but I'm sure this thread will become very popular!

I'm actually not an artist so I've been looking more at your programming of the AHK script and it's a beauty! You really have fabulous programming ingenuity. And your use of sliders is absolutely great! I use sliders everywhere on my scripts (in fact, I thought I was the only one to use horizontal sliders!) and your script convincingly demonstrates their full power.

Great craftsmanship K3D! Definitely a winner. I can understand that your friends are all over this!

5. Konartist3D

lblb - Thanks! I'm glad it works for the EP121 as well. I left the EP121 comments in there in case someone wanted to test that out. If you haven't done so, there's also the HelperDock.ahk and AppDock.ahk in the \alt folder that will need the same treatment.

Also thanks for the documentions. They were very helpful when I was trying to figure out the original script.

tly80 - Sorry to hear that the sliders don't work. I've tested this script on about 4 other Samsung Slates and they work. Does the slider work if you move the dock to the center of the screen?

6. jamesT

jamesT Pen Pal - Newbie

Just wanted to say this is a awesome contribution! Thoroughly designed! That ZBrush setup looks great. Got my own thing going, but I'll give this a try soon just for fun. Konartist3D, you're a beast of a designer!!!

7. tveek

tveek Pen Pal - Newbie

This is an awesome script Konartist3D! I love that I finally got this tablet and all these awesome scripts are coming out for it. Thanks for all your hard work!

I just tested ArtDock out in photoshop and for the most part the script works great. I did have problems with the opacity and eraser/brush sliders.

For opacity, it steps down from 100 to 33%, then 30%, then 3%, then 0. I'm not sure what's going on there yet.

As for the brush/eraser slider, I kept trying to flick it and it kept pulling up the eyedropper. After a while it switched to eraser and then I couldn't switch it back. I'm not sure if it's my fat fingers or something else.

Before I dig into the problem can I ask what version of autohotkey you installed? I installed Autohotkey_L x64. Should I have installed a different version? Also, what version of Photoshop were you running? I'm on CS4.

Thanks,
    Vee

8. Konartist3D

tveek - I should have mentioned in my original post that some sliders are used by holding it down and sliding up/down or left/right while some others are used by flicking or sliding short distance (about an inch).

The brush size is the sliding kind while the opacity is the flicking. Because of the way Photoshop uses hotkeys for opacity, I can't get the sliding to work. So instead, if you flick up, it'll be 100 percent (#0 key), flick down will be 30 percent (#3 key) and single tap will be 70 percent (#7 key). I figured that the other opacity values can be achieved by the pressure of the pen. I think your getting the problem because if you keep sliding up, it'll be "#00" instead of "#0" which gives you 0 percent. Same with "#33".

I'm using Autohotkey_L x64 and running Photoshop CS5.

Thanks for the nice comments!

9. tzills

tzills Pen Pal - Newbie

:eek: this is awesome! thanks for sharing with everyone

10. patach

patach Pen Pal - Newbie

Can anybody take a screenshot of what it looks like with the artdock when it's in portrait mode?

11. yung

yung Pen Pal - Newbie

lblb: For some reason I am facing the same issue with this script, where the touch has no response again. Modifying a working ahk file to point to MenuDock.txt managed to get some of the buttons, mainly the flip screen mode and kill application button, I couldn't get it to launch the rest of the buttons.
    Any help on this?

Looking pretty cool!

12. lblb

Hey yung,

To get this to work on your EP121 you actually need to modify three files. The files in the zip file below seem to work fine on my EP121.

Instructions:
    - extract the content of the zip file below anywhere on your computer
    - in the main folder for ArtDock, replace the file named ArtDock.ahk with the file of the same name from the zip file
    - in the alt subfolder of ArtDock, replace the files named AppDock.ahk and HelperDock.ahk with the files of the same name from the zip file

@Konartist3D: Hey man, I'm not trying to steal your thunder! But since you don't have a EP121 to try them on, I just thought I would provide the ahk files. Cheers!

Attached Files:

13. yung

yung Pen Pal - Newbie

lblb: you, sir, are a lifesaver!!

Konartist3D: And you sir, are a genius!

Both of you deserves a cookie! Thanks alot!!

14. Konartist3D

lblb: NP. Thanks for testing and uploading the EP121 version.

Glad people are finding the script useful!

15. restless_fisher

restless_fisher Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, everyone!

Thanks for your work and for sharing with this amazing script.

16. timpaatkins

timpaatkins Scribbler - Standard Member

I cant get this to work properly. I install autohotkey (64 bit version) and make sure its running and then try to run the ahk file. at first it told me that there was an error because it couldnt find the txt file. thenafter a few tries it seemed to run but all I got as an "empty" art dock that dissapeared. I then lost finger touch, even after uninstalling autohotkey and doing several restarts. I had to do a rollback to regain fingertouch. Can anyone see where I went wrong?

17. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

lblb, very good..I wonder if you could post a complete zip file that is complete with your replacement files in the EP121 sub-forum. Not sure if it is double post..

18. Steve S

Steve S Scribbler - Standard Member Super Moderator

<<...I wonder if you could post a complete zip file that is complete with your replacement files in the EP121 sub-forum. Not sure if it is double post...>

...For something like this, that pulls together valuable information in a single place to make everyone's life easier, there will be no problem...

19. lblb

@ timpaatkins:
    Are you sure you installed the right version of AutoHotkey? This script doesn't work with the original version of AutoHotkey (know as AutoHotkey Basic) and it needs to be run with a more recent variant called AutoHotkey_L. It's available for download here:
    AutoHotkey_L

@CF77:
    I wouldn't have any problem doing this but I don't want to get in Konartist3D's way... He has done such great work, I don't want the attention to be taken away from him. Maybe we can just see if Konartist3D is interested in adding the EP121 files into the original zip file? Then we could just refer to the current thread in the EP121 forum. This would have the added advantage that any possible updates by Konartist3D for the S7 would update the EP121 files at the same time.

@Konartist3D:
    What do you think about including the EP121 files in your zip file? If you do, could you modify the instructions to include the EP121 stuff?
    Also: In your instructions, you'll probably want to change the address for AutoHotkey to that for AutoHotkey_L above.

20. timpaatkins

timpaatkins Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks lblb, unfortunately that was the one I used...