Art uses of the Asus Vivo Note 8

Discussion in 'Asus' started by darkmagistric, Feb 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Great News Everyone.....PhotoShop CC (14.2) now has Pressure Sensitivity without the Wacom Feel it Driver. And it works good....where as Clovertrail literally lagged behind....the brush engine works silky smooth and fast on the Note 8....and lag free as far as I can tell. I need to do more testing/drawing....but it looks very good.

This Thread details it better
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/art...essure-without-wintab-drivers.html#post377053

If you download the Trial Edition of CC from Adobe.....follow the directions in the other thread and pressure works great. And provided you have a Tablet PC Pen with an eraser, the eraser will work too.

Now this only for the latest build of CC, which is 14.2.

Those of us with older versions like CS3 or CS5 are stuck waiting till Wacom delivers a new Feel it Driver. But if you're on the Cloud Bandwagon, you're in luck.

I'll try and post pictures and art in the coming days....maybe even a video if I can get around to it.

2. darkmagistric

spoke too soon.......I jinxed it for everyone,

while much more usable then it was on clovertrail slates....after a half hour sketching.....some bad lag started kicking in....lag very similar to the lag I saw running photoshop on clovertrail. It's possible there could be other reasons for it......the CPU certainly isn't bogged down.....running task manager as I draw and it never hits more then 40% at 1.24 ghz.....it is hogging like 90% of my ram though....despite the file I'm drawing on only being 71.2 MB.

Also the burst frequency is supposed to let the CPU reach 1.86 ghz.....but I can't seem to find any way to enable it or hit past 1.33ghz.

Time to play with the settings.

3. testdrive7

testdrive7 Pen Pal - Newbie

4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Mischief still requires WinTab drivers.

5. darkmagistric

ok....I've been playing around with Photoshop CC and its new non-wintab pressure for a few days now......the best way I can describe the experience thus far is.....Bi-Polar as Hell!

First it worked very well....then I started to see odd lag rear its head....then by disabling the open GL or putting it to a lower setting the performance was excellent....then the next time I tried it, it was ok at moderate speeds, but laggy when really fast...then slight lag.....and then today as I entered a life drawing class, turned the machine on, opened Photoshop....and for the first sketch of the session....I experience the absolute worst lag....kind of ever....and now that I'm home, its working fine?

I have 10 GB of free space on the 32 GB drive....that should be enough for the scratch disks, and also there were no other programs running to hog ram.....I was thinking maybe the performance is somehow linked to the battery life....like a low charged battery might weaken the CPU...but the battery capacity was full when I went into class.....In all the Tablet PCs I've used over the years and the different Photoshop versions.....I have never seen such bi-polar performance before.

The only thing I can think of is that it might be performing poor because the "Burst" is seemingly not turned on. The 1.33 GHZ atom is supposed to hit 1.86 during burst (which is the Bay-trails answer to Turbo Boosting on the Core i cpu's) but I can't seem to get it to go past 1.33 GHz....and I can't figure out how to enable it.

So with Photoshop lagging like Hell on the Vivo Note in my Life Drawing class, I swapped over the my Thinkpad Tablet 2 which I brought along as a back up. Started up Manga Studio...and on the Clovertrailed TPT2.....Manga Studio was now starting to lag....it even froze after my first sketch and I couldn't save the Artwork.

But here's the kicker, much like the Vivo Note 8, I uninstalled the feel it driver, and installed the trail edition of Photoshop CC and used the same text file mod for pressure. In my slight testing, it seemed to work better then the Feel it Driver ever worked on CS5 or the earlier build of CC which would both lag and become near unusable...but it still seemed somewhat prone to lagging.

So with Manga Studio kind of unusable....I tried Photoshop CC hoping I could get through one sketch with no Lag.......and it ended up lasting the entire 3.5 hour class WITH NO LAG!

So in one hand I have the Baytrail Vivo Note 8 with Bi-Polar Photoshop performance.....then in the other hand I have the weaker Clovertrail TPT2....which is now a laggy mess with Manga Studio....but now seems to run Photoshop CC/14.2....near perfectly....a feat that it sure as hell couldn't do running the Feel it Driver with CS5 & CC/14.0

6. Waru

Waru 「ホログラム&#

Yikes. Sounds like a mess to me. :c
    Try alternating to a lighter drawing/sketching application until you can research the issue more thoroughly?
    I wont be getting my AVTN8 until the end of this week, so I can't really say anything until I start testing it myself.

7. NUHP1

NUHP1 Pen Pal - Newbie

How's Google Sketechup on the Vivo Note?

8. llatnik

llatnik Pen Pal - Newbie

I've just got my note, and its fabulous.
    But i can't get pen pressure to work in Mangastudio.
    if i could query;
    1) did pressure work for you right off the bad, or did you have to fiddle, if so, what things did you do?
    2) what version of Mangastudio are you using that you tested?

9. surt

surt Pen Pal - Newbie

Clip Studio Paint 1.3.1
    Preferences -> Tablet -> Tablet service to use: Tablet PC (can't remember what it defaulted to)

10. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It should have defaulted to Tablet PC. You're using the latest version, 5.0.3?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.