Art Tablet

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by rayguntheater, Aug 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rayguntheater

rayguntheater Pen Pal - Newbie

I searched the forums and found an old thread about art tablets, but it's too old and I'd like a new opinion.

I work a lot in Photoshop, Illustrator, and Dreamweaver. I also make games in Flash and Multimedia Fusion. I pretty much multitask on the computer all the time. I just don't know what kind of tablet to get! Also - if it's not too much of a stretch, I am in a 3D modelling class this semester. So... Tall order, I know, but I hope you guys can help out :)

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Mmmm, just a couple of questions first....
    1. What size screen are you looking for?
    2. Is weight a concern?
    3. How high would you prioritize battery power?
    4. Do you have any negative concerns with certain manufacturers?

3. thddragon85

thddragon85 Pen Pal - Newbie

do you NEED a tablet, ie: do you plan to be extensively taking notes and scribbling alot? if you dont, then get a powerfull notebook for your modeling.

If not your main concern would be if it has a Wacom Penabled digitizer, since it enables pressure sensitivity for Photoshop painting.

Actually, if your main concern is a Digital Arts, then you almost have to default on to the M7, since as far as I know, its the only penabled tablet that has a dedicated card. Some might argue that having ram and powerful cpu would balance lack of dedicated graphics card, but speaking from the perspective of an amature print designer that worked on 300-600 dpi images, a dedicated graphics card DOES matter. (compared to 72dpi graphics for web, its a 250 KILObyte image for verses a 250 MEGAbyte image for print.)

To be fair, I havent worked on a "modern" setup, but switching from using shared graphics to dedicated graphics on my PC made a hella diffrence.

4. Fido

Fido Scribbler - Standard Member

RAM is very important for large file sizes. If you want to use it as a dedicated art tablet you might benifit from a wide screen tablet so you have more space to put things like palets and tools that don't take up the work space.

5. P8RSON

A little tip in what I use to overcome the smaller screen size of the T4210 when using it with graphical apps is to alter the screen settings from 1024x768 to 1280x768.
    What this now does is give an extended screen to the right where I place any palettes and tools, leaving the main screen free as a work area.

For me it works well and is a good compromise.

6. Fido

Fido Scribbler - Standard Member

Wouldn't the screen be signifigantly squished? That would be bad for art.

7. P8RSON

I think you've missunderstood my point Fido :)
    Doing the method describes still leaves the WHOLE of the original screen for art at a size of 1024x768.
    To the right off the screen (which you would scroll over to access) would be an added 256x768, enough to take the palettes.

8. thddragon85

thddragon85 Pen Pal - Newbie

it would be like viewing your canvas through a piece of cardboard with a rectangular hole in the middle, you only see part of the canvas, and when you need the palettes, you move that hole to the right, pick what you want, and then recenter it back...

most modern laptops will do this, since they cant resize the screen's pixel density to accomodate the extra pixels being displayed.. I'm not too fond of it, but I'm pretty picky, and used to working with 22" screens :D

9. fongool

fongool Pen Pal - Newbie

What about the Gateway M285? It seems to offer comperable specs and more extras for about the same price as a Toshiba Tecra convertible. I'm trying to decide between the Tecra and the gateway...

10. P8RSON

For when I use a large monitor (Samsung 23") obviously I have the resolution and workspace to use the screen to it's full extent.

However, when you have a restricted size on the tablet, you need to allocate what space you have as great as possible.

I find if I allow both palettes/tools and the art area to share the same screen space it restricts the ability to draw.
    Hence why in this case I use the extended tablet space.

It's all a matter of personal taste really.
    You don't like it and I appreciate what you are saying. I on the other hand do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.