Art Programs- user reviews and preferences

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve B, Sep 21, 2011.

1. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

@crazycat - I used PaintShop Pro a lot in the '00 decade and liked it. It could use PS plugins, which was great. I'm not sure how it has progressed, haven't downloaded it yet. I got the bundle partly out of nostalgia.

And also partly because I've read praise of Painter as a natural media app, but way too expensive ($360 and $220 for 2022 and 2021, respectively, on Amazon right now) and requires some beastly compute. Some of the brush packs looked neat, too ($30 ea, normally).

I'm sure the $30 CSP perpetual license you linked will be far more valuable for me, however. Thanks for that heads up.

crazycat likes this.
  2. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

Did some run on Corel painter. My new laptop spec was reasonably powerful so it didn't have much problem running the program.

The app seem full featured enough. The program was setup for Wacom out of the box so I had to switch to windows ink to get it running.Super Display work fine with pressure in Windows ink mode.

The brushes are nice but it didn't feel as effortless as CSP. My rankings of brush feel would be CSP>Krita=Corel Painter>Sketchbook.

The biggest issues I have with these Corel app is:
    -There's no tablet interface, no convenient buttons like undo redo.

- No option to make the panels and buttons bigger in high DPI displays. It was almost impossible to navigate the interface on my 2K Tab S7 FE

-The panels isn't attached with the main window, so when I use my drawing screen in extended mode, I had to drag the main window, the panels, the tools box... one by one on the second screen.

Art_N00b and dellaster like this.
  3. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

Very helpful! I think I'll leave the bundle on their server for now since I intend to use my incoming Tab S7+ in the same manner and will therefore run into the same issues.

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

If Adobe isn't honoring the agreement they entered into with you when you purchased their software, then.., it sounds like a clear breech of contract on their part.

In any case, if it's already been activated on your computer, then you should be able to work off line without difficulty. -Especially since the world hadn't entirely moved to a perpetually on-line ecosystem in the CS era. In any case, I'd feel no qualms about hacking their software to make it run regardless. Just keep your receipts in a handy folder in case anybody asks, (which they won't).

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  5. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I raised the question with Adobe when the password server for CS2 licenses was deactivated and the answer was that "the software was licensed." That gets them around that legal technicality.

I suppose I've had a good 10 years out of my CS5.5 suite so I can't complain overmuch - I really don't want to swap to CC after my experience these last 3 years using the Enterprise version. It probably works on a one-to-one license but I wouldn't be able to run a business using CC based on just how badly the set-up "works" as it also relies on Microsoft 365 for the license manager and 5 times out of 10 - it won't connect or run.

Someone needs to buy the CS6 master collection rights from Adobe and update that / spin that off as a product for us "little guys."

One thing though - CS2 works even without the license activation working. You just switch off the reminder / activate request and you're good to go. Hope CS5.5 is the same when they switch those servers off.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  6. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I've actually been curious about this. Can folks speak to it a bit more??

I have a copy of PS cs6 but I need a copy of InDesign. I don't want/need to use CC. I've thought of getting an older suite, like CS4 or some such. But I've been concerned about the activation process given what I've read on line, and if I need to do so to use it. I don't quite understand if I need to activate it? Can I use it if I don't? Is it a bad idea to buy a used copy of cs4/5/etc on ebay?

I'm a bit lost on this and input would be helpful.

7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've attempted purchasing CS6 used, and the re-activation process is cumbersome. Both you and the previous owner need to fill out an Adobe transfer request form. I don't know how long this process takes, as the seller didn't have any of the registration information on hand to start the process on his end.

If you're buying secondhand, I would make sure the seller knows and agrees to completing the Adobe transfer process before buying.

8. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

At the moment, I wouldn't recommend anyone buy a used copy of Adobe Creative Suite versions 2-4 software from Ebay - simply because the activation servers have been turned off for a couple of years.

I hadn't realised Adobe were doing this until a friend recently warned me I might only have a year or so left with my copy of CS5.5 ( have the Web Premium suite) before Adobe turn those servers off too.

All I know for sure is that my old copy of CS2 still works - whenever I start it up, I get a request to activate the software which cannot be completed as there is now no server to respond. I have my original serial numbers so that bit is fine. I just close the activation request box and carry on working. I suppose anyone could download a copy of CS2, find a genuine serial number and do the same.

What I'm wondering is whether this goes for CS3 and CS4 for anyone who has a genuine serial number for the relevant suite. CS6 is still OK for a while - whether Photoshop / After Effects or InDesign if you have a serial number - but those servers will be turned off sooner rather than later.

Lilawyn and thatcomicsguy like this.