Art Programs- user reviews and preferences

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve B, Sep 21, 2011.

1. fivetoedsloth

fivetoedsloth Pen Pal - Newbie

I bought it too! Haven’t used it in many years, since the Fractal Design days. I just installed and played with it last night. feels kind of old school compared to other natural media apps. I can’t tell yet if it is better than what I already have. One thing I am finding annoying is that I am getting stray fingers marks when it doesn’t properly register touch. Can’t figure out how to make it register finger as touch only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WillAdams likes this.
  2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

doobiedoobiedum and WillAdams like this.
  3. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wow the £sterling price is actually very close to the US/Canadian price for a change. Anyhow how are you finding it for brush engine and with your stylus?
    I managed to get Photoshop CS5.5 running AND with bigger menu text on my 4K screen so I am a bit hesitant to swap over. How do you find the tilt if any on Affinity Photo?

4. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ah, that is one area that I have almost no experience, since I do most of my painting in CSP/Painter. From my brief tests, the brush engine is quite robust, though a little less responsive than CSP, and about on par with PS.

It does support tilt and rotation mapping to brush parameters (though haven't tested this personally):
    [​IMG]
    But my first impression with the DAUB brushes (which comes standard with AP) was honestly quite good:

[​IMG]

Some of the brushes do require a beefy CPU, but they produce quite naturalistic textures and there are plenty of options to play with.

There is a 14-day refund guarantee, so can't hurt to try it out. For $35 CAD, it's a steal imo. ;)

doobiedoobiedum and WillAdams like this.
  5. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ah well, I've got CSP and Photoshop already so this is probably not another app I'm going to jump into. I did that with 3D apps once and burnt my hard-earned 3D neurons out - took me years to start 3D modelling again.