Art Programs- user reviews and preferences

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve B, Sep 21, 2011.

1. fivetoedsloth

fivetoedsloth Pen Pal - Newbie

I bought it too! Haven’t used it in many years, since the Fractal Design days. I just installed and played with it last night. feels kind of old school compared to other natural media apps. I can’t tell yet if it is better than what I already have. One thing I am finding annoying is that I am getting stray fingers marks when it doesn’t properly register touch. Can’t figure out how to make it register finger as touch only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WillAdams likes this.
  2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

doobiedoobiedum and WillAdams like this.
  3. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wow the £sterling price is actually very close to the US/Canadian price for a change. Anyhow how are you finding it for brush engine and with your stylus?
    I managed to get Photoshop CS5.5 running AND with bigger menu text on my 4K screen so I am a bit hesitant to swap over. How do you find the tilt if any on Affinity Photo?

4. Marty

Ah, that is one area that I have almost no experience, since I do most of my painting in CSP/Painter. From my brief tests, the brush engine is quite robust, though a little less responsive than CSP, and about on par with PS.

It does support tilt and rotation mapping to brush parameters (though haven't tested this personally):
    [​IMG]
    But my first impression with the DAUB brushes (which comes standard with AP) was honestly quite good:

[​IMG]

Some of the brushes do require a beefy CPU, but they produce quite naturalistic textures and there are plenty of options to play with.

There is a 14-day refund guarantee, so can't hurt to try it out. For $35 CAD, it's a steal imo. ;)

doobiedoobiedum and WillAdams like this.
  5. doobiedoobiedum

Ah well, I've got CSP and Photoshop already so this is probably not another app I'm going to jump into. I did that with 3D apps once and burnt my hard-earned 3D neurons out - took me years to start 3D modelling again.

6. doobiedoobiedum

Just wanted to see how you're finding it another year later? the half price offer is on again.

I finally downloaded Affinity Photo but..... I don't like it. I've tried to like it but if I want to quickly edit a photo / rescale it I have to get around those stupid personas they use. I tried selecting an area of an image to copy paste and it pasted the whole layer so I read up and it was something about a pixel persona..

I know Affinity is popular, I know it's colour accurate but.... it's clunky. The only plus over Photoshop CS5.5 is that it renders to screen way better than my old copy of Photoshop. If only the transition was easier or more familiar - I would go for it.

I also have Affinity Designer and the good thing is it's stable - rock solid stable but for a vector application it seems very light on vector tools. I keep using Inkscape to draw stuff out then put layers together in Designer. It's wierd - Photo and Designer are HUGE Apps - 1.7GB each but they are surprisingly light on tools?

I have CSP and like that - but I find it hard to walk away from Photoshop - 20 years of use is so hard to switch off!

7. Marty

I've settled into Affinity Photo. It remains very solid as my goto 2D editing/compositing app.

I recently tried PS again out of curiosity, and aside from finding that I now prefer AP's UI (especially with masks/clipping layers), I immediately could not stand the CC/activation bullcrap Adobe installs on your system. (I forgot that **** is buries itself deep!)

I generally don't mess with Personas other than Export occasionally, but I've briefly dabbled with the Pixel persona in Designer for simple 8bit pixel art. I haven't found it lacking in vector tools vs Illustrator, but I use it for logo design primarily, so maybe my usecase is less complex.

I've also bought Publisher in case you're wondering, and it's very usable. The performance still needs optimization with complex layouts, but in terms functionality, I've found it's a match for InDesign for posters and magazine spreads.

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  8. doobiedoobiedum

I never settled into InDesign - I spent too long using Quark so I think Publisher might become the one definite that I might get - I often need to produce book and page layouts which is why I was looking at Photo. Colour accuracy is really important to me which is why I kept one foot in the Adobe camp - I suppose the way to properly learn Photo is to create something from scratch that forces me to use all the tools...

9. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

In case it was not noticed, Krita is now available on Android and Chrome tablets. Whoo hoo!

https://krita.org/en/item/first-krita-beta-for-android-and-chromeos-in-play-store/

That is now TWO "complete" art apps on Android Krita and TV-Paint. Sadly the UI still needs help as it suffers for "ported-from-desktop" syndrome. It is beta for now.

I guess I will need to learn Krita now. IMHO, Infinite Painter might still be the best but it does not have a text tool, so who knows? Competition is good!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    stoneseeker likes this.