Art Programs- user reviews and preferences

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve B, Sep 21, 2011.

1. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Hmmm...all those people waiting for PhotoShop do appear on iPad might be in for a costly surprise...

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Considering the existence of Affinity Photo/Designer and Artstudio Pro I still have to understand why people are so interested in photoshop on the ipad pro.

3. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Totally agree, never the less, it is reasonable for someone who simply want to keep the process that are used to already. IMHO based upon my experience, to those who I have worked with and spoken to, having Photoshop on the device is most important.

For me, how well the app, touch screen, and pen work together is most important. That is why my preference so far has been for Android devices with Wacom EMR. I love my Zbook X2, but still find Windows and desktop apps to be awkward and clunky at times. The best so far seems to be Clip Studio, and it runs on iPad too, but it is subscription...$$$!

What I do see happening is the younger artists are more open to alternatives (that are also getting better..), so as time goes on, Adobe may become less and less a requirement for users? I am sure Adobe sees that too, and likely looking to raise more capital to buy out emerging apps to stay relevant.

An example might be Adobe buying Substance Painter that seems troubling as there are plenty of examples of that not going well for the user base. Eg AutoDesk, the Foundry, etc.

Cheers

JH

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Young, cash poor artists are the ones who dictate things in the end. They use the cheapest, most available solutions, go all-out on them with whatever they're into, and if there are enough of them, the market bends in the end to support their direction and vision. They start off ghetto, and end up running the show!

You want to know what's going to be the cool trend in ten years time? Look at what frustrated 12 yo artists are doing today. (And hope it isn't focused on some dumb crap, cuz it'll take another 10 years to change direction again.)

wytn likes this.
  5. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Right now for cash starved artists, it's Clip Studio: only thing is that in some areas your knowledge of Photoshop is still the door opener to some jobs in the digital industry.
    When cheaper programs open, translate and use Adobe filters faithfully then I guess big studios will start looking at cheaper alternatives but my feeling is Adobe will have copyrighted some digital aspects of the code to protect their intellectual property.

I've come across some studios in London that are using Affinity side by side with Photoshop so I'm interested to see how that pans out. I've never actually given Affinity a trial.
    Maybe it's time. I know a lot of colleges are pushed for budgets and the Adobe Cloud has been broken for colleges for 2 years now and many are still on CS6 - a one off licence payment for Affinity may help make the decision against waiting for Adobe to fix the CC model for colleges and universities.

6. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I thought it was a flat $20/month for the full suite since forever...did they change it?

If they end up gouging even education, my last shred of respect for them will be gone.

Yeah, in my experience consulting and general design work, I definitely notice there's a "graduation point" in the digital media industry.

It's like "okay kids, it's now time to drop your kiddy tools, and buy real ones"—Wacom, Adobe, and Mac Pros all the way. Anything less, and you're not a "real" artist; many won't even listen to alternatives.

And some of these are the cash-starved artists, just graduating or in 3/4th year... :confused:

7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'd have to agree that the industry is slow to change, and that when it does, it always opts for the most reliable and serviceable equipment and blue chip software. But the old guard still scan their pages in. CSP and the influx of cheap Cintiq clones are a direct result of the pressure from young artists seeing the possibilities and wanting to work with them.

Where it's far more obvious is in media styles. Art styles, and popular subject matter has changed a lot in the last twenty years. I mean, I had no idea what "Pixel Art" was until I met a kid whose sketchbook was full of drawings where he was trying to draw everything out of squares; he and his art friends liked the old timey video game graphics; they looked more interesting because of their super-low resolution than modern high-def graphics.

Time rolls on.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  8. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ah, my bad - I should have explained that it's not the fees but actually getting CC working across a college and on both staff / student machines.
    CC worked for a while at my employer 18 months ago then it just broke. It doesn't adapt where new suites of machines or even campuses are added to an existing licence and the whole thing came down like a house of cards.
    In the past with the CS suite we simply bought and could add to the number of licences but something in CC just can't handle change. Meanwhile, our students are still on CS6 - which throws up the advice from Adobe to everyone to get older versions of software OFF their machines and their actually taking older versions off their servers.

A couple more years of that and colleges will start looking around for software that they can support. I know in France some of the major colleges and universities have abandoned paid for software and support Open Source instead - it's a matter of time before British universities do the same.

I noticed a lot of VFX jobs in London and Bristol still ask for Adobe experience but they are also now looking in 3D to people who use Blender. That is a major change from when Maya / 3Dstudio were de rigueur so maybe one day, the 2D world will catch up. I notice Krita boasts that most of its financial support comes from artists - this was a big part in what kept Blender alive and relevant 10-15 years ago when everyone in industry sneered at anything that wasn't done in Lightwave / Maya / Softimage / Houdini / 3D studio etc.

My faith in artistic humanity is restored.
    I know some concept art houses refused to look at traditional media a few years ago and I think that did a lot of damage but it's always great to read that someone out there still puts together a sketchbook.

9. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

Clip Studio Paint has this nice feature where in addition to drawing/inking/sketching/painting with color, you can also do so with transparency. Or in other words, any drawing tool can be an eraser.

I'm wondering what other apps support that? I'm especially interested in iPad apps, but still interested in all platforms.

10. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

thatcomicsguy and WillAdams like this.