Art Programs- user reviews and preferences

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve B, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Unfortunately, I'm too much of a beginner with regards to PS brushes to give a good answer here.

@Azzart were you able to adjust brush parameters in AF to get back similar performance? From what I can see, the brush engine seems to have corresponding parameters.

AF can't import MP4s or SWFs like PS, but for still images, as long as you use PSD/PDFs, everything should still be inter-compatible.

Yeah, I guess what I was trying to get at wasn't that AF could be a straight drop-in replacement for PS, but rather it has the blueprint to be a true replacement, and how far do you think it would be viable as an alternative right now? And how far do you think they have to go?

The one thing that I think sets apart Affinity, is that the devs are actively trying to replicate Adobe's features set. For example they have Designer to replace Illustrator, and are about to release Publisher to replace InDesign. I would not be surprised if they had a AE/Premiere alternative on the roadmap. And they seem to be committed to sticking to the $70 CAD pricepoint for each product, which is quite commendable considering how much Adobe charges.

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I only tried briefly some months ago but nope, I wasn't able to make them work as they should.
    And I'm not talking about some particularly complex brushes, just these along with a few more:
    https://jonasdero.deviantart.com/art/FREE-PHOTOSHOP-GIMP-BRUSHES-Explanation-348274576

3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

4. Azzart

If I remember correctly the set I imported was the one I exported from Photoshop CC2014 or 2015.
    I might try tomorrow if I remember to install Photoshop since the Surface Book 2 comes with a three months subscription to it.

5. Shiratori

Shiratori Pen Pal - Newbie

Art_N00b and thatcomicsguy like this.
  6. cspaint

cspaint Pen Pal - Newbie

7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This is pretty cool:

SmithMicro just sent me a helpful email reminder informing me that I should be buying more software from them. Since they never email me, I read their communique with some interest and soon found myself downloading a demo of Escape Motions' Rebelle 3 -which SmithMicro is distributing for the little software company.

A day later, after mulling it over for a bit, I bought myself a license because.., damn! That's some cool software.

This is apparently what I do when Patreon forwards me money. I try to think of things to spend money on beyond rent and food and book printing, and all I can reliably come up with is, "Art tools". This may look suspiciously to some who observe from the safety of the sidelines as, Having No Life. I would disagree and respond by saying that life is empty if you don't have enough cool art projects on the go or enough interesting art tools to experiment with.

Rebelle 3 has the most remarkable real time water colour simulator I've ever seen. -Not that I've been looking with any furious intensity, but I have been keeping an eye out. There was some program from six or seven years back which basically didn't work on my old Core 2 Duo Portege M400. -Either the computer was too slow, or the program was too 'meh', or a combination of the two. But Rebelle 3 runs lickety split on my old Core i5 8Gb studio laptop. I'm amazed.

I've basically been waiting for this since I owned an Amiga 500 and the idea was first floated that computers would one day be able to simulate real wet media beyond a bunch of confusing Photoshop brush presets.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    Art_N00b likes this.
  8. Azzart

The simulaton in Corel Painter was better.
    Aside from that, Rebelle is a cool little Software. It's just too power hungry for my taste though: it would get something like the Surface Book 2 pretty hot and loud in a minute, not counting how fast it sucks dry the battery.
    Not worth it for me, when I can use Clip Studio and have a dead silent computer while working.
    Max brush size is still too small if I remember correctly.

9. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Pen Pal - Newbie

I am shopping for art supplies. After reading about the bugs in the HP ZBook X2 and noting that it's loaded with business security stuff, and also noting that the Wacom MSP is a generation or two behind and does not support rotation, I am thinking of just getting an Intuos Pro and a large external monitor (gaming?) and plugging them into a powerful consumer or gaming laptop. What art programs have the most demanding system requirements in order to use them to maximum effectiveness? What would those requirements be, both for the gaming rig and the external monitor? I would want the latest Thunderbolt 3 controllers and 4k, but I don't want to go overboard getting way more power than I'd ever need for art. A 360 with AES would be nice for using on the road, and the intuos would give me the EMR for serious work. What do you think? Would gaming hardware be good for art?

10. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

But was that version 3?