Art Programs- user reviews and preferences

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve B, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

stoneseeker likes this.
  2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

artistebot and Art_N00b like this.
  3. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

True, but it's a good "bookmarks" page to other references and conversations. :)

4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I was actually gonna see if any of you were effected by this bug the other day. It REALLY pissed me off that an automatic windows security update royally screwed me out of 4 hours of my work day trying to madly figure out what the heck happened to my cintiq.
    After a lot of digging, it turns out this is a recurring issue with windows updates where your applications start to read your attempts to draw or drag a slider etc (pretty much anything you would use the pen for) as the "feature" Pen Scrolling. So what happens is you go to draw as normal and the canvas just kind of pans around under your pen. Plenty of people took to the forums (adobe, MS, reddit etc) to voice there frustration when this happened again on the 11th, and Microsoft hasn't said a peep about it. Its been an issue they have been made aware of since before the public build of Creators update... There are less tech savvy painters who reported on the forums that they haven't turned off or restarted their PC's for months for fear of Windows forcing the update on them and breaking their ability to use their PC's to make art.
    The security update literally renders your cintiq useless. Its absurd.
    I uninstalled the update (which fixed it immediately) and turned on the 35 day wait period feature. In my quest to find a proper fix, I discovered that if all you use is Photoshop you can tweak the userconfig txt file in settings for the app, but all this does is temporarily fix Photoshop not other applications or windows. I haven't tried that txt config tweak yet, but I noticed in the article above the lazy numi site mentions unchecking "Windows Ink" in the Wacom tablet properties as well (Thanks for the great link @Steve S !). Would this work? Seems too simple of a solution to stump half the artists on the internet, but I never realized that checkbox was even buried in the driver under calibration.

Anyway, when MS forces me to update again I will have to try these solutions.

What are you guys doing? Can you double check to see if your Windows Ink box is checked? Have you tried drawing in photoshop since the 11th? Do you have a way of avoiding Windows updates?

What a gong show, this makes me so mad.

fishdavis likes this.
  5. Azzart

The situation is simple: Photoshop uses Windows ink by default since CC2014 and never uses Wintab.
    The pen panning problem happens only using Windows Ink obviously, since that's what Microsoft changed.
    That text file for Photoshop forces the software to use Wintab instead of Windows Ink. If you just uncheck the use windows ink box in wacom properties without the text file you end up with Photoshop not having panning issues but Photoshop doesn't recognize pressure since it's not using wintab either.

stoneseeker and Art_N00b like this.
  6. Art_N00b

Based on a tweet that the article quoted, you can turn off the new pen-panning on a system-wide basis like so:

reg add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pen /v LegacyPenInteractionModel /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

I wish they would just make that a checkbox in settings like with flicks and press-hold-to-right-click.

Furthermore, it would be interesting if they took a cue from Wacom and provided the ability to tweak settings on a per application basis. Maybe the pen panning is a nice thing in a note taking app, while art apps have different needs.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  7. stoneseeker

Thanks for clarifying. I know that PScc has been using Ink since 2014, but I didn't realize it wouldn't default to Wintab if you turned it off.

Thanks, I saw that and was going to ask if you guys had tried it. I thought it will only work for Windows Insiders? ..or is that old news and it will work for everyone now? I don't remember ever signing up to be an insider, how would I check to see if I run a version that would support that hotfix?
    I agree they need to just make a new button to turn off pen scrolling in the existing tablet properties panel.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. Art_N00b

Edits to the Windows registry don't require a particular version or the Insiders version. Back when this problem only plagued Insiders you may have read that only Insiders needed to do this.

9. stoneseeker

Ok thanks, but I was referring to the original post in the developer forums, not the tweet about it.
    The original post was written in March 2018, and it reads:

"Therefore, update your Windows build to an RS4 Insiders build. You can learn more about that here: https://insider.windows.com/en-us/

By executing the following command from an elevated command line (DOS Prompt), the next time any legacy application starts it will get the prior pen behaviour from the Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

“reg add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pen /v LegacyPenInteractionModel /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f”
    "

Which is confusing... I thought that maybe meant that only Rs4 Insiders Build would even respond to this registry entry, but I guess what your saying makes the most sense. I'll just let Windows install as many updates as it can, break my pen again and then I'll try the registry edit and hopefully I'm golden.

EDIT** I'm Golden! :) The registry edit worked great for me in Photoshop at least. I haven't tried any other apps, but for now that was the biggest concern. phew. Why do I feel like Microsoft is getting steadily more "Apple-like" in the way it treats us? I'm just glad they gave us this solution for now I guess.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    thatcomicsguy and Art_N00b like this.
  10. Azzart

My big question is: why a suggestion like this goes through reddit instead of coming as a notification directly I'm my windows 10 computer?
    What's the point of giving up all those privacy settings if not for getting these kind of suggestions?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018