Art Programs- user reviews and preferences

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve B, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

After some poking around, I found that there is an openCanvas 7 on Steam updated as recently as... today. Prior update was Jan 31.

But if I search for it on google, I land at http://www.portalgraphics.net/en/oc/ where the latest version is 6.2, released last November. Er? This is presumably the parent companies web site.

More digging... I see in the news at http://www.portalgraphics.net/en/ that MangaLabo is being discontinued but then being sold as "mdiapp+ SE" exclusively on Steam.

So maybe this company is going Steam-only and hasn't updated their "opencanvas 6" page to inform people. But dang... that's strange!

And is mdiapp+ really a rebranded MangaLabo? Because at http://steamcommunity.com/app/403030 there is a graphic (scroll down for it) that has the text "mdiapp+/MediBang Paint/FireAlpaca". Is mdiapp+ another reincarnation of MediBang? Or is it really MangaLabo?

And finally, my real question: does anyone know what the difference is between openCanvas and mdiapp+? I didn't find anything via google or Steam-hosted discussions.

Marty likes this.
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

ARGH!

Remember back when Photoshop wasn't a buggy piece of donkey dung?

What the hell, Adobe? You had THE premier graphic arts program. It was rock solid. It did the job. I felt a surge of pride every time its splash screen appeared before me. It was one of the products of Western society I was truly thankful for and impressed by.

What happened?

The selection tool, for goodness sake! The Lasso! -After the "Pen" tool, it was probably the second thing created. It is essential. How have you managed to break it and not fix it in years?

Okay. Back to pulling hair out.

(Please, please let the Japanese suck up their pride and provide this lousy Canadian with a friggin' lasso toggle button so I can do my selection tasks in ClipStudio Paint.)

What a stupid state of affairs. It's like building the Starship Enterprise, but installing cheap neon lighting which flickers.

EDIT*****

No, I totally thought of a better analogy!

"It's like building the Starship Enterprise, but installing cheap sliding doors which are constantly getting stuck -and all petitions to Starfleet to fix the goddamned things go ignored, or are limply responded to with suggestions that you are doing it wrong, that nobody else is complaining and to contact your graphics card vendor."

I imagine an episode where Worf or somebody finally loses it and rips out a bulkhead.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    dstrauss and dumbo like this.
  3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I'm curious, perhaps I missed something from earlier in the thread, but are you referring to the polygonal lasso tool freezing photoshop? Its the only bug I know of and it certainly effects me enough times that I don't bother using it, but my regular lasso tool works flawlessly and I use it all the time (alongside alt and shift to adjust my selection a lot). Are you having crashing issues with multiple selections or something totally different?

4. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I would also add that Photoshop as a painting software has greatly improved since the introduction of CC2014, with the latest release being the best of all. Finally.

5. Art_N00b

Does subscription software scare you, in that after you land on a version that works great, it may get updated underneath your feet to something that does not?

Clip Studio on desktop is still version oriented and you can stick with a specific one that works for you. That's one of my attractions to it.

Maybe Adobe lets you opt out or revert back. I haven't checked.

YVerloc likes this.
  6. Azzart

@Art_N00b you can update or not, up to you.
    You can also retain the 2017 version while installing the 2018.

Art_N00b likes this.
  7. Art_N00b

8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm not 100% sure what the exact conditions of failure are, but I certainly seem to reproduce them effectively every couple of minutes (at least!) when doing lots of selection tasks.

I constantly toggle back and forth between free-hand and polygonal, so maybe that's the source of the freeze.

I find it weirdly ironic that the one PS feature I hold in high esteem and wish other programs would adopt should also be the one feature in PS which goes rogue and bugs out so that, literally, NO modern art software can do the job right today!

It's like, "Ooh, ooh! He likes that! Don't do it! Break it! We're tricksters!"

Sometimes I feel like William Shatner in that one episode of Twilight Zone he did...

9. Azzart

10. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Yeah, I recall reading somewhere that the only ones effected by issues involving the polygonal lasso tools and multiple selections were those using graphics tablet pens to make the selections. I don't know for sure, but its possible its not a flaw if your testing with a mouse, which could explain partly why it never saw enough complaints or attention from Adobe when it may very well be some weird conflict on Wacom driver end or something.

Sounds like you and I are also dinosaurs for relying on the selection tool so heavily as we do (I use it for nearly all my blocking in) as many artists I've worked with and discussed it with didnt relate to the problem becuase they had learned to harness the power of the pen tool, paths and shapes to accomplish the same tasks. All those bezier handles confuse me :confused: so I stick with my buggy lasso.. :cool:

Found one of the many discussions regarding the phenomena: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lasso-tool-use-crash-ps-cc

I agree its pretty ridiculous that more art programs haven't adopted the basic but powerful premise of multiple and modifiable selections.