Art Programs- user reviews and preferences

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve B, Sep 21, 2011.

1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Probably not. I wish the text labels could be turned on and off and that the buttons were more scaleable, but it's surprisingly flexible.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. surfaceproartist

Here's how my QA toolbar is looking, @Azzart. This size and number of buttons works really well on the Surface Book 2 15-inch display.

https://flic.kr/p/21fyfJT

I tried to embed this image, but I'll never figure out how to reliably share pics on this forum. :-(

3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

too much screen space sacrificed for way too little commands for my taste...
    in comparison, on my 12" Galaxy Book with Toolbar Creator:
    Schizzo (1).png

you'll probably have to squint your eyes a little because it's practically hidden until I pass the pen over it but, from top to bottom:
    Undo Redo
    Brush Eraser
    100% zoom, Move, Another one I've yet to define
    Brush Size controlled with dragging
    Lasso, Deselect
    Esc, Del, Enter
    Numbers, Tab
    Flip Image, Hide Command bar
    Touch Keyboard

I also boight Tablet Pro but I'm not sure it can replace good old Toolbar Creator. :)

4. Azzart

Oh wait!
    I just discovered in the last version they made opening and closing the palettes in the same way as it works on the ipad version!
    Are they stupid?!? Why ruining something that works?
    I'm currently backing up the Celsys Folder before seeing if I can revert the behaviour to normal. If I can't, well that's a problem.

5. surfaceproartist

Not sure I know what you mean about opening and closing palettes. You can either use the <> or <<>> icons or select/deselect the palettes in the Windows menu. Some other way that I missed?

As far as the QA palette, you can set up multiple columns too. I really don't miss the real estate on a 15-inch display.

6. Azzart

When you have a serie of palettes grouped together (in my case Layers, Sub tool and Sub tool properties) and they are minimized, if you tap with the pen/ finger on one of the icons of those palettes clip studio maximazes the entire group. Another easy tap minimizes it if you want them quickly out of the way.
    In the previous versions.

In this new one if you tap a single icon on a group of palettes it shows only the palette you tapped. You need to click on the tiny arrow < button at the top of those palettes to maximize/ minimize the entire group.
    It's tiny, it's a horrible and workflow ruining solution.
    I did hope it stayed on the iPad but sadly it came to the pc too.

And no, I tried but there's no way to turn it back to the usual behaviour.
    Crap.

7. surfaceproartist

I don't find those icons too difficult to target with the pen tip. It's those vertical scroll bars that are miserable.

8. Azzart

It's just too small a target to work properly, more so on a 12" display and exceptionally so compared to just hitting one large icon (between other large icons you could hit too).
    It will need you to focus your sight on that small arrow and it will also require for your hand to reach continually at the top of the screen.
    For me it's as complete UX design fail compared to the past where the interface was even tailored to work on a touch enabled tablet device.
    They wanted to somehow mimic how interfaces work on apps in iOS but the result is just clumsy.

P.s.
    Why bother the scrollbars when you can just use a finger to scroll?
    That's an ux design they made right...

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  9. surfaceproartist

My fingers are too fat and clumsy. I always end up tapping something inadvertently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member

Never thought of that, I suppose if the first time you turn Photoshop all the menus and options were on-screen that would put you right off.

The only alternative that has worked for me in the past (and I learned this in the old days of working with 3D software) was to drag all commands and menus across to a second screen and keep my main screen for the actual drawing / modelling / animating screen. It's not very portable though.

I find a lot of this self-defeating for a lot of modern software though, it also throws up inherent Wacom inaccuracy on older tablet-pcs when you are trying to hit menu buttons accurately. I have no experience with newer tablets - I can't bring myself to spend £1000+ on a new computer and find I am still accidentally hitting the wrong button. I'm not 100% convinced Wacom can give me that pin point accuracy everywhere on a screen - I haven't tried any yet apart from the iPad Pro which was incredibly accurate.

Why couldn't zbrush for example use a version of sculptris's interface and then you would access the more powerful features as and when you need them? Drawing / painting software could learn from some of this too - a simple basic interface that has the most powerful and used tools as the front face.

End rant....