Art Programs- user reviews and preferences

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve B, Sep 21, 2011.

1. cspaint

cspaint Pen Pal - Newbie

CSP most likely uses MMX/SSE for image processing.

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

No, it's just that csp has been very poorly optimized to run on the ipad. Any other art app that's been coded from the ground to work on the iPad runs circles around csp in terms of performance.
    In normal conditions (meaning within its memory limit) the iPad Pro is more powerful than the Galaxy Book.

Oh but it is big news. At least for the small crowd of the art community.
    I'm actually the only voice I saw that doesn't praise the iPad version of csp.
    It's just that honestly only a very few is willing to pay $9 a month for it. ;)

You can save in more or less the usual ways people exports things on iOS: iTunes or cloud.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For comparison, you have both the desktop and ipad version of Affinity Photo right? Could you do a similar short stroke comparison vid for AP?

I am not that impressed with the brush engine in AP (yet ;)), but it will be impressive if Serif can get consistent and fluid performance across operating systems. (And in that case, I wonder what underlying rendering engine Affinity Photo/Designer uses that it allows OSX/Win/iOS easy porting. :confused:)

4. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

Is this a good deal for CSP? I'm graduating, so I was grabbing my freebie licenses for the different versions of Windows Server, Visual Studio and such from Microsoft Imagine before I head out. I noticed, though, that many here had nothing but good things to say about CSP.

upload_2017-12-9_3-32-19.png

5. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's the standard "on sale" price for CSP Pro. $20 is incredible value for what you're buying, but I would take a look to see if the academic license has any commercial restrictions. It might be safer just to buy from directly CELSYS or Smith Micro, if you eventually might use it for graphics work.

Also it might be worth noting the Pro version lacks a few features compared to the EX version (for $80 on sale) and see if any of those feature sets interest you (eg. animation, multi-page comic layouts, etc).

sonichedgehog360 and Art_N00b like this.
  6. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

Thanks! Just like the Server licenses, I would using it for personal use as a hobbyist, so I would not have any problem with any commercial restrictions.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  7. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

8. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member

OK, I might finally give this program a try. I've tended to look at screenshots of the interface and walked away - Paint Tool Sai and Gimp have had the same effect on me in the past.

To be honest, I've loved Photoshop (brush engine weakness accepted) and learning complex new interfaces has put me off ever since I reached my 50's.. o_O

9. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

First thing I recommend with Clip Studio Paint is closing down all the excess tool bars (under the Windows menu) and only turning them back on as you need them. One of the application's strengths is that the UI is highly customizable. The new quick access palette is a great new addition for tablet users that eliminates the need for on-screen keyboard hacks like Artdock.

10. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

It will never substitute my toolbar from toolbar creator. No way. :D

thatcomicsguy likes this.