Art Programs- user reviews and preferences

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve B, Sep 21, 2011.

1. crazycat

crazycat Pen Pal - Newbie

I remember giving up on Krita half a year back, because it's incredibly laggy on Atom system (which is my on the go device). Even on my stronger machines (HP 612 G1 and HP 2760p), drawing still feel slow and unatural (you can see line is catching up on the pen tip ). I know both of them only have integrated Intel HD Graphic, but most modern art software doesn't (and shouldn't ) require a dedicated GPU to run.

Clip Studio is just as (if not more) full featured and it run buttery smooth on last gen Atom chip with 2G RAM if not for little hiccup when saving. Granted Krita is free, but it just seem too resource hungry to work on.

So far, I find Clip Studio is the most satisfying to draw with all kind of device, Medibang is a less smooth and not as fast but tolerable, but I couldn't really draw anything on Krita with how lag it was.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I wonder if the fact that I have the CPU set to lock down its cycle rate lower than its possible maximum in order to improve battery performance is the cause here. Though frankly, if Krita needs that much power to perform what CSP and Photoshop can do without breaking a sweat, then I'm not going to worry much about setting it aside.

I don't want to pass judgement too swiftly, though. I'll test it tomorrow to see if that's the issue.

Whatever the case, CSP will likely remain my go-to drawing program for the present and foreseeable future. It's just nice to know that open source developers are working on otherwise solid alternatives.

3. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

@thatcomicsguy well FedEx delivered my old school (right up my street) physical copy of ClipStudioPaint EX today. I also grabbed the additional brush set while I could get it with a 50% discount. Thanks to your heads up the other day. :) Installed, registered and ready to rock...well almost I have family visiting so my free time is kind of messed up for a few more days.

Maybe you could offer some set-up/config tips to save me some time?

Are there any steps you normally take after a fresh install? like switching themes and layouts etc? Are there times when WinTab is preferable to Windows Ink or vise versa?

Any productivity tips? I have the XP-Pen Remote which I normally set-up for things that normally require a physical keypress like shift, ctrl, alt and ctrl+shift etc. on the remaining keys I add handy functions...for example in Krita I assign shift+space to activate pen canvas rotation. What would be the best physical hot keys/combos for CSP in your opinion?

I also use RadialMenu and the Toolbar with RightClick activating the Radial (since Samsung messed up Krita's Popup Menu feature). I use the Radial for things like copy, paste, undo/redo etc. and the ToolBar normally has a couple of sub menus and button access to functions like canvas flip and reset rotation etc. Are there any must have short cuts that you recommend for CSP, that aren't common to other applications that I should be aware of? I wont need canvas rotation on a key in CSP...it's really nice having that as part of the touch experience. I really hope that the Krita devs can add touch rotation in the not too distant future.

If you're pressed for time don't worry about replying, unless there are some unique functions I should really know about. I will just set things up in my usual fashion in the mean time, when I get the opportunity. I can always adapt the settings as and when I discover better ways of doing things.

I did the circle test and I'm in the same boat as you...I keep getting a stretch/wobble to the right on the up stroke - being right handed and starting from the top (1 o'clock ish) with the stroke going counter clockwise. I don't experience that behavior in other applications. Drawing from the shoulder or wrist makes no difference in my tests so far. Do you know if anyone has contacted CSP support about this issue?

I was using my Cintiq Companion 1 the other night to do a quick drawing because I wanted access to the Krita Popup menu, and holy sh1t the pen accuracy was way off the mark, compared to the Notebook 9 Pro. I tried recalibrating the pen several time and the experience remained woeful by comparison. I gave up and just used my N9P with the radial menu in the end, which was far more productive despite the change in workflow. Even drawing some simple arrows was a nightmare, I can't believe I used to draw on the Companion without noticing the offset, which is really noticeable towards the extremes, away from the canvas center. Are you experiencing similar differences when you switch between your Cintiq 21 and your N9P? My Companion 1 is not as good as I once thought it was and really drives home just how good the S Pen experience is on the N9P and Windows.

WillAdams likes this.
  4. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Just one quick thing: be aware that right click in csp is used to color pick on the canvas. ;)

Other things I may the time later to write.
    I can also post my settings for the radial menu if you want to give it a try. Provided the version you have installed can read that profile.

Shizaru likes this.
  5. thatcomicsguy

I've got my CSP set to recognize right click as a dynamic brush re-size. It's pretty useful, and I only in the last year worked out how the heck to do it.

The thing about CSP is that it is hyper-configurable. -With a couple of notable exceptions, it can be set up to do nearly anything you can think of. It's not easy to figure everything out, because not only is the logic sifted through a software engineer's brain, but the logic is sifted through a Japanese software engineer's brain. It's enough to drive you bonkers. However, just knowing that you can (probably) get there from here is helpful.

I don't know if this is useful or not, because it's set up for my system and my tastes, and people have radically different setups according to their needs, but this is my preference file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9e0araimkdvta6t/CLIPStudioPaintVer1_5_0.zip?dl=0

(Unzip and copy to the appropriate place in your file structure. This website has more info about where to find preference folders and how to migrate and such.).

Also, be aware if you decide to use my settings, that I changed a bunch of the hot key associations so that they will work along side my home brew version of the AHK tablet button bar (which several of us developed here in the forum). I've included my working version of that as well...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jly3gdt0hyjhovs/AHKbuttonbar-forCSPandPH.zip?dl=0

I have to run out now, (damn, I always end up having to rush because "It'll just take two minutes to type this message! Where's my other sock??"), but if you have any questions, there are several users here with FAR more CSP brilliance than me. Marty is a gold mine of CSP setting-fu.

Cheers!

Koryand'R, Shizaru and Marty like this.
  6. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the speedy reply and info. Yep, I know the colour picker is normally bound to the right click...it a bummer only having one side switch on these new pens! To be honest I find it more useful to have access to more functions using the radial menu. I can assign a button on my XP-Pen remote for the colour picker as well as in the radial menu for occasions when using the remote isn't practical. I'm not as painterly as you sadly, so having such a quick draw on the picker isn't going to help me as much as undo and redo etc.

Thanks for the offer of your RadialMenu profile I would be interested to see how other people set-up there systems. Afaik I have the last available version of RM available 0.4.6.326 hopefully that's the same as you use?

Any tips 'n tricks are most welcome. :)

Thanks for taking the time to reply it's much appreciated and thanks for all the links and files etc.

I noticed it was easy to reconfigure stuff actually it's way to easy and I made some unexpected changes unintentionally. I get what you're saying about the methodology it took me a while to figure out installing the brushes in batches to a new group. I had to resort to searching for the solution which makes sense once you get with the program (no pun intended). I haven't had much time to poke about yet but so far the basics don't seem to much hassle to navigate. Having said that it looks like there is going to be a learning curve to really get the best out of CSP. I'm hoping the vector layers are going to be better than in Krita, and the multi layer feature is high on my priority list of new things to learn. I spent years working with Japanese tech hardware so I tend not to struggle too much following their quirky approach to things.

Which reminds me of a funny translation error way back in the day...
    One Christmas in the early eights we received our seasonal stock of domestic keyboards from Yamaha, some of the units came with a free stand. The stand manual was really nicely presented, with helpful diagrams etc. Every screw was pictured with an handy note telling the user exactly what to do. The problem is every screw point had a label saying 'F**k here'. It was quite amusing breaking the news to parents buying Christmas presents for their little darlings. Yamaha upped their game shortly after that, probably after the translator committed Hara-kiri. G_d knows what the translator was using as a source before the advent of 4chan and the Urban Dictionary etc? I would like to meet the translators English language teacher. I have a feeling he would have made an entertaining drinking partner.

I pulled your CSP profile zip thanks. I will take a look at that when I get a chance to sit and play a bit more.I haven't looked into the file structure yet so I'm sure that link will come in handy. :) I have spent so much time messing with shortcut key assignments, and button bars making a few changes isn't going to bother me too much. Thanks for the heads up though. It is always interesting to see how other people who actually use software in anger configure things. I have learned a lot over the years from reading and watching various peoples work flows etc.

I presume your AHKMenuBar is similar to ArtDock? I spent hours creating icons and configuring functions for GIMP and Krita when I first got my X700T, in fact I still have it set up on it. I seem to remember it not working too well on my Companion 1 iirc? I really liked using that it made such a difference to productivity. I still make use of lblb's Tool bar creator as well which is another great tool to have in the box. I look forward to seeing what you have done in your script?

I have a feeling I will have a few questions...my normal approach is to wear the machine down into submission, which probably isn't the most efficient approach - but hey I spent years figuring stuff out before there was an internet hive mind. Old habits die hard and this geriatric dog has trouble learning new fangled interwebness. I have found that If you point and click randomly and often enough you normally get a result, just as the dawn chorus strikes up.

I have family who will demand entertainment again starting early in the AM. At least I have this to look forward to once things return to normal (whatever that is?).

Thanks again to both. :)

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  7. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Isn't that the beauty of CSP though? ;)

The entire western world is stuck on the Apple paradigm of simplification at all costs: utterly severing UI parity to underlying software parameters.

All those wonderful knobs, sliders and nested menus the developers use to fine-tune their own software get stripped away, all in the name of some mythical air-headed "creative" who is incapable of learning or exploring.

Archaic menus? Quirkily-translated hidden tabs/buttons? Bring 'em all on! This is the fun of using new software! :D

Selofain, Koryand'R and thatcomicsguy like this.
  8. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I really dislike cluttered, over-complicated software. And as a 3D guy from way back, I've seen them all. I think Clip Studio Paint's UI is genius. It's so malleable, so easy to get out of the way, move around, make fit to your workflow. It's the first software that I saw running on the Surface Pro that convinced me that we were on the right track with this pen and touch paradigm. And it's fitting that CSP becomes the first app on the iPad Pro that feels 100% worthy of the "professional" moniker.

9. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Sorry for the late reply, this completely slipped between all the things I have to do.
    I use version 4.4.316, but this profile should work: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Anzbh3g9MKANht4LqQKMDVYDPOEfZQ
    Mind you several commands uses customized shortcuts so they won't work straight away in Clip Studio, but at least you can make yourself an idea of what I find most useful for my usage.
    I'm not sure how to export shortcuts in Clip Studio, I probably need to copy a file from inside the Celsys folder.

By the way, a couple days ago I made a quick video comparing performance of Clip Studio on the iPad Pro 12.9 first gen and the Galaxy Book 12. It's in Italian but the general things should be understandable. :)

cspaint, Marty and thatcomicsguy like this.
  10. thatcomicsguy

I was, (but certainly shouldn't have been!), surprised to see how much slower the iPad Pro was in comparison to the GB. -But then, the iPad is running a fanless machine on low-power mobile chips, where the GB is running a full-on Intel Core processor.

Given that, CSP performs amazingly well.

Maybe I'm just really bubbled off from the rest of the internet, but it would seem to me that CSP being the first full art software on iOS should be much bigger news than it is..? Are all the Apple Jacks out there smiling broadly and placing their orders?

Oh, also, how is it with file-structure stuff? Can you save and export your documents without wanting to upset the Apple cart?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017 at 7:09 PM