Art Programs- user reviews and preferences

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve B, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Well, part of it is definitely my machine, which, despite supporting 2 points of touch, somehow only registers one point of touch. But I couldn't pan either, so I'm guessing Krita doesn't have single finger pan?

Honestly, that would be my guess. I wish all these art programs weren't so Wintab dependent, but I guess it takes time to adapt the programming to new APIs.

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What are people's impressions of the latest ClipStudio Paint update? 1.6.7

I just downloaded it, but after reading through the release notes, I'm not sure it adds anything I'd really notice. I'll try running the upgrade patch (or whatever it is; it's BIG), after I'm finished working on my current project.

They seem to have made numerous upgrades to improve 3D work and to have gotten their software to play nice with N-Trig tech and the Surface Dial. Seems like a smart and timely release in terms of staying up to date with current hardware trends.

Still no mention of updating their selection tool so that it works as well as Photoshop's. -And no mention of any work done on their font engine. Those are really the only critical areas for me. (By 'critical' I mean, things CSP does so poorly that it's easier to simply keep Photoshop running in the background for certain tasks.)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

As far as I'm concerned, I don't notice any difference with the older version. :D

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

I believe they mentioned CSP now works with the Puck (Surface Studio and related devices). It would be interesting to see if someone discovers it as a megaton, or if there's nothing supremely advantageous it can bring to the table over anyone's traditional workflow with the program.

I also thought maybe being able to register and publish workspaces as a material would be huge, if it is what I think it is. I've been preparing to move to a new computer and, to my knowledge, I basically have to upload the whole 11 gig "Common" folder, and overwrite the one that is created when I install CSP to my new computer, in order to transfer all my brushes and settings. There's also a minor thing you have to do afterwards to get the program to start correctly, so the whole process is a tad cumbersome. So, I had this all set up for when I can return to digital painting on a new device, but maybe it will be even easier now that this update is out.

Full details of what I'm trying to describe here: https://forum.smithmicro.com/topic/702/transfer-brushes-workspace-settings-to-new-computer/6

5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Just install Clip Studio, run it a first time, close it and then substitute the Celsys_En folder found in your Documents folder with the one you previously backed up. ;)

artistebot and neongolden like this.