Art Programs- user reviews and preferences

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve B, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

Is there a good dedicated discussion/forum/thread/whatever to discuss Clip Studio Paint? A forum would be preferable so topics could have their own threads. There's a reddit group, but it looks fairy inactive.

2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Art_N00b likes this.
  3. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Wait, sorry I think I jumped in on this discussion a little late. I assumed we were talking about Sketchbook for Android tablets. You are working with a trial version of Sketchbook Pro in Windows??? autodesk sketchbook right?

The menu (in windows version) looks like this:
    selection in sketchbook.JPG
    Android version is similar menu with fewer options, but lasso is there...

**EDIT** Oh I just figured out you guys are talking about another version of Sketchbook Pro I didnt know existed. The windows "tablet" version or App version for windows. This is so bizarre. How could the Android version be more robust than a windows tablet version?? Why even make it different than the windows legacy version?? I'm so confused.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  5. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Exactly!! It's stupid. That Windows tablet version has certain tools the desktop version doesn't have. But the truth is that in some ways the Android version seems more fully featured. At the very least, it seems to have everything the desktop has, but also has a pen-only mode to avoid marking. A key PITA missing feature for the desktop IMO. I otherwise really love working on the desktop verison. For my needs, its the easiest and most straight forward to use as a simply sketching tool. It also has a variety of geometric tools I need for work and use in a certain way. I've got a workflow setup that I've been using for about 5 years, and I like it.

6. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member

"Sketchbook for tablet" was 2015.

WillAdams likes this.
  7. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

For artist's using Android devices.

IMHO the three best painting apps are Clover Paint, Infinite Painter, and TVpaint

Clover Paint:

Has a terrible UI, but it is highly customizable and can be set up for it to be Photoshop/Painter-like. An in-app purchase of the EFT extension highly recommended to get the full functionality out of the app. For me this app works best on tablets.

The App has plenty of great tools, and a few unique features of Clover Paint are:

A. Any brush can use the tilt/orientation of a Samsung sPen or Wacom CCH pen to affect different parameters, such as direction, size, shape, and opacity. For example, you can create a natural media looking flat brush that is wide when used straight on and narrow when used to the side.

To some degree, CP brushes can be set to compensate a bit for the offest of the cursor for when the pen tilts.

To put simply, the tilt effect can be configured to function similar to what the Apple Pencil does for some tools.

B. Almost any in-app function can be tied to hardware keys, such as stylus button, volume rocker, home button or Wacom CCH buttons.
    C. There is the option to configure the stylus button and hardware keys to have a different in app functions depending upon the state the stylus off screen or in contact with the screen?
    For example, I am able to set the Volume Rocker Up to Undo (w stylus hover/off screen) and Erase (w stylus on screen) . Volume Rocker Down is Redo (w stylus hover/off screen) and Brush Resize (w stylus on screen). Having the stylus state effectively doubles the number of hardware shortcuts and speeds up workflow.

I am not aware of any other app or application that offers different shortcut depending upon the position of the stylus in relation to the screen.

D.Clover Paint has a on-screen touch-drag brush re-size option.
    E. To me, the brush customization options rival or exceed Photoshop is some ways.

Clover Paint offers very limited image editing tools and filters. This is the only app that I know of, that all of the Wacom CCH buttons can be configured to in-app functions, aside from possibly TVPaint.

Example UI:
    [​IMG]

Infinite Painter:

Great touch screen UI, and tons of editing tools. Works great on tablets and phones.

The app has plenty of great tools, a few unique features are:
    A. Bind a select few in-app functions to hardware keys, such as eye dropper to pen button.
    B. Import a reference image that is always floating on-top.
    C. Liquify image editor tool, lots of distortion tools.

This app is available on both Android and iOS.

TVpaint 11 Nomad

Basically the whole desktop version running on Android. This has some crazy good brushes and animation tools.

Optimized for the Wacom CCH, but can be used on other devices. Very expensive at ~ $250 for a single licence

http://www.artistebot.com/2017/01/since-there-seems-to-be-very-little_6.html

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  8. crazycat

crazycat Pen Pal - Newbie

Answering some question by @okieiam , I will review some of my experiences with art program on tablet PC.

My to go winner on Windows: Clip studio Paint AKA Manga studio 5

+ High compatibility, can work with both older Wintab and Windows Ink API. That mean whether you use Wacom or an off-branch tablet digitizer, pressure sensitivity is warranted to works.

+Have a pen Mode which register one finger touch as panning, very useful and make palm rejection perfect. pinch to zoom and rotation is really smooth and natural, perfect for touch device.
    [​IMG]
    +The UI is highly customizable. You can stack windows on the left and right side bar to have it hidden to maximize drawing space and open it when you need it. You can also move small windows around to make it float on top of your drawing, very useful with sub view windows. You can also save different layout profile to use in different situation. All windows are fully touch enabled, you can scroll through layer list like you scroll on your smartphone instead of having to pull the tiny scroll bar on the side of the layer windows like older Photoshop or less touch oriented drawing program. You can also customize keystroke, modifier keys, make the tablet button and layout bigger to fit fingers.
    [​IMG]
    +Amazing brush engine.On tablet I often have problem with oversensitive pen which is a non issue with this program, line is nice and steady but also feel natural, as opposed to the stiffness on some other program's stabilization feature. It is also really smooth with virtually no lag even on low power Atom chip. Very power efficient. The only program I find with on par brush engine is the older Paint Tool Sai which is a nightmare to use on small tablet due to its outdated UI.

+ Low price. The program is frequently on sale. A few years back I managed to snag it for 15$ during a sale which is an incredible value. Now since the program got more popular, you might not be able to buy for as low, but you can still snag it for around 25$ during some of the sales.

Next up, my Android winner: Medibang Paint.

As someone so used to the convenience of a full featured desktop program, using a mobile app feel incredibly limiting. Unfortunately, no windows tablet can beat the portability of an android tablet (and I used to be an Asus Note 8 owner). Thankfully, Medibang Paint will offer you 90% of the feature of a desktop program, and it also have a desktop version which I will mention later.

+The best part of Medibang Paint is its UI. It's really similar to CSP with sidebar feature which you can open or hide
    [​IMG]
    +When side bar is hidden, the color wheel is replaced by a color bar so you can still pick color without the sidebar open, and the drag to change brush size button is something I wish Clip Studio Paint had. If only they adopted this UI on their desktop version, it would beat CSP in regard of best tablet PC UI in my book.
    [​IMG]
    +As you can see, it looks really similar to a desktop program and is also similar in functionality. You can do function select lasso, free transform, rotate, use most common layer blending modes, use ruler, do some filters ...which are very rarely offered in mobile app.
    +It has a cloud service where you can download brushes and save your artwork to, then retrieve it later on the desktop version to further refine your artwork. The desktop version can export PSD file so you can even edit your work with other desktop program.
    +And did I mention that all of those feature come with a FREE price tag? For both desktop and android version and cloud usage?
    -There is ads, but they only ever appear after you have already saved artwork and closed the canvas. With the seer functionality of the app, I would happily pay a few bucks to buy an ad free version if it ever come out, honestly.

Honorable mention: Medibang Paint Pro - desktop version.

This is the desktop version which is a rebranded Fire Aplaca with added touch and cloud feature. While not as feature packed as CSP, it offered most functionality a digital artist might need: layer blending, lasso, transform, ruler, common tool set, stabilizer feature, PSD Export, some basic filters...

+Medibang paint Pro is more desktop oriented, but it does offer two finger panning, pinch zoom and rotation. Touch a bit lag and doesn't feel as smooth as CSP on my Atom tablet, but it works. The UI also have automatic scaling when it detect being used on tablet PC. The UI while not as touch friendly as CSP, is pretty manageable.
    [​IMG]
    The brush engine is not as smooth and power efficient as CSP. There is noteable lag when sketching on Atom tablet, and some inaccuracy when sketching zoomed out, which I guess because the program is not as good at calculating position as CSP.

Despite that, the program offer a lot of creative cheating feature that not in any other program, such as the depth pen and rotation symetry tool. Depth pen help draw thing such as corridor a lot faster, and rotation symetry pen make drawing pattern child play, which is very useful for ground tile or decoration windows.

If I hadn't managed to get CSP at its lowest price, Medibang paint Pro would have been my to go desktop program. It's a fully functional program for art, only lack some bell and whistle. There is an ad windows popup when you open the program, but it never appear again until you close the program then open it up again. And those ads mostly advertise manga contest, art contest, other paid art program such as open canvas or art course in japanese, so it keep me informed and doesn't really bother me.

Some of my drawing proceed on Medibang Paint:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    Marty, Art_N00b and okieiam like this.
  9. okieiam

okieiam Scribbler - Standard Member

Very useful and informative thank you

10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Koryand'R, Marty and czm2000 like this.