Art and note-taking tablets with some other features

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by bupp, Mar 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bupp

bupp Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been looking at the HP tx1000, but I'm a tad iffy with the passive screen. And the t4215 has vista business.

This is what I'm looking for in a tablet pc and what I'd mostly be doing with it:

- I don't want to replace my desktop so I'd want it relatively light
    - I don't need a huge hard drive (customizable options are fine)
    - A built-in webcam would be cool (I know the tx1000 has this)
    - Is active better than passive for drawing? A friend I have uses a Wacom tablet for her drawing purposes.
    - Decently powerful and fast (2gb ram with Vista preferably since I have XP on my dektop)
    - However, the laptop would not be used for business purposes since I'm a college student so a version of Vista Home would be better. Maybe I'll just get Home and take off Business if it's on there
    - Battery is of no concern (I'm used to short spans since my cell phone is stupid)
    - 12.1 screen, but over 1024 resolution (I currently use 1650 on my desktop so that should give an idea)

This laptop will be just for carrying around to classes and drawing in my free time as well as just laying in bed talking to people and browsing sites before sleeping. Everything else I can do with my desktop like music, movies, WoW, etc.

Thanks! :)

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Most certainly.
    With an Active Digitizer you get one of two types ~ Wacom or Finepoint.

With Wacom, this will allow you to use your Tablet PC similar to a Wacom Tablet, in that you will have the benefit of using 'pressure sensitivity' on your Tablet PC.

With Finepoint, found with Gateway Tablet PC's. Although it utilizes an Active Digitizer, you will not however have the benefit of 'pressure sensitivity' as found with a Wacom Active Digitizer.

3. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Tablet Functionality is not available with the Home Basic Edition of Windows Vista. However, it is available with Home Premium, if that's what you're referring to. :)
    As an aside, it's also available in Business/Enterprise and Ultimate Editions as well.

I'd advise you get the SXGA+ screen then. With the 12.1" at SXGA+ it will have a maximum resolution of 1400x1050.

4. bupp

bupp Pen Pal - Newbie

Awesome, thanks.

I'll probably take off Business and get Ultimate to put on there. :)

Is there any way I can try a tablet pc out or are there only regular notebooks in stores?

Also, I was looking on the Fujitsu site and they have their tablet pc section split into Pen-based Notebooks and Tablets. What is the difference?

Any recommendations so far in what I should get? I know the t4215 is popular, but are there any others?

5. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Actually, Finepoint digitizer used in Gateways DO have pressure sensitivity (more than Wacom ones in paper @ 512 levels vs 256).

The problems are that:

1. Pressure sensitivity in EMR pens like Wacom and Finepoint are done in the pens, and Finepoint's pens are, pardon my bluntness, pieces of crap. They get broken WAY too easily (specifically the pen nib assembly that senses pressure). Half the Gateways on display I've come across at Best Buy that have the pen still tethered had busted tip.

2. Only Wacom's digitizers are supported by all the major art programs out of the box. With Finepoint, getting your art programs to use the hardware properly (e.g. with pressure sensitivity) is a struggle if not impossible in certain cases.

6. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Pen-based notebooks, like the B6210, does not have a single hinge; but instead two hinges - like a regular notebook. With the B6210, unlike the T4215, you cannot convert the screen from notebook to tablet (we sometimes call it "slate") mode. Since you are an artist, this is probably something you're not looking for, as it will be quite a struggle to sketch a drawing like that.
    Another pen-based notebook is the P1610, however it has a single hinge allowing it to be converted into tablet mode. The difference, it is a touch-based (passive) Tablet PC.

Tablets, as the name ensues, is a Tablet PC. There are two types of a Tablet PC: convertible and slate.

Convertible: Looks just like a conventional laptop, but has a single hinge to convert from notebook to tablet mode (T4215).
    Slate: The computer is in the screen, no onboard, physical, keyboard (ST5111/ST5112).

7. bupp

bupp Pen Pal - Newbie

Ah..

The slates are a lot more expensive too

8. Sassafras

Sassafras Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes slates are more expensive. However, if you're planning to use a tablet the majority of the time in slate 'mode', you may want to consider the added mobility of a slate. I'm writing this reply with voice recognition so I don't have to use a keyboard. It's great! I can use voice recognition to chat and write e-mails and dictate to word or any other program. They are something to consider if you don't necessarily need an internal CD-ROM drive. By the way, I do have a slate.

9. bupp

bupp Pen Pal - Newbie

Wait, you just wrote that by speaking to your slate? That's awesome.

10. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Voice recognition has come a tremendous way since it's early conception.

These days it is the mainstream of many business's and extremely handy for the disabled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.