Arrived! tx2500z

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by evensong, Jun 20, 2008.

1. evensong

evensong Pen Pal - Newbie

I have no tested H.264 acceleration, although I plan to soon. It should be much cooler than whatever temps I get from running benchmarks. Most hardware is built to withstand 150F easily these days. It should be no problem at all.

I have a feeling Hardware Monitor is not giving the correct temperatures, but NOTHING else seems to be able to read from the laptop's sensor. Either this new chipset is radically different than any other AMD chipset or they are using new sensors.

When Idle the laptop is very cool. As I said, the only hotspot is isolated to the top right corner near the exhaust. The bottom of the laptop remains only warm, with no heat at all coming from the keyboard. During HD tune the right palm rest got a little warm, but that's due to hard drive thrashing, which does not occur on normal use.

Because the exhaust is on the corner, you can avoid it entirely in tablet mode. It's not much of an issue at all.

Screen is grainy, where whites are VERY grainy and darks are much less so. In the daylight, the screen is pretty much unusable in tablet mode (direct sunlight). The viewing angles are decent in the vertical (above and under), bu the horizontal viewing angles are pretty bad. Luckily the tablet screen can rotate clockwise to make up for it.

There's an option in the BIOS to have your fan on at all times. This was the default option for me. Check that this is the case for you. Otherwise ask for an exchange. It shouldn't reach those temperatures normally unless you're benchmarking.

2. pff1029

pff1029 Scribbler - Standard Member

Are you going to post a full review in the next few days?

3. eoplocust

eoplocust Pen Pal - Newbie

can u pls verify either through included docs or bios if the tx2500z cto also has the 64mb sideport memory like the retail ones do?

4. pardes3

pardes3 Scribbler - Standard Member

it seems they all have it. based on the gpu-z screenshots posted by members on the other threads.

5. mas5acre

mas5acre Pen Pal - Newbie

The 64mb ddr sideport memory helps to explain some of the HD3200 iGP power in 3dmark06.

6. bakdai

bakdai Pen Pal - Newbie

How was the clean install? Were you able to get everything up and running? I don't like the bloat myself, but I don't think it's that big of a deal. Clean installs I usually find are a pain in the butt.

7. evensong

Not a pain at all! Or maybe I just enjoy doing stuff like that. Whatever agony you put yourself through to clean install is worth it after you see the results. Out-of-box Internet Explorer crashed on me constantly. Using the Quick Play button crashed Explorer also. No such problems after clean install. Worth it!

8. jared2

jared2 Scribbler - Standard Member

I still don't get what all the hype with the HP tablets are.. I bought both the HP 2000 and Toshiba and then returned my HP. What makes this better than the Toshiba M700 other than it has a 2nd headphone port and a remote control?

I find the outdoor viewing and no grainyness of the Toshiba to be a much better deal!

Please enlighten me.

9. ocharry

ocharry Pen Pal - Newbie

Fairly cheap with better performance. A little better in the multimedia department and it's lighter than the m700, i think. Oh did I mention it was cheaper?

10. evensong

Aesthetics. That and the M700 uses a more than three year old GMA 965.