Arrived! tx2500z

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by evensong, Jun 20, 2008.

1. evensong

evensong Pen Pal - Newbie

The tx2500z is the updated tx2000 series with the new Puma chipset from AMD, which includes an ATI HD 3200 with a "supposed" (unconfirmed) 64MB of SidePort memory.

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
    Processor: AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-86 (2.4 GHz)
    Display: 12.1" WXGA HP BrightView Widescreen (1280 x 800) w/Integrated Touch-screen
    Memory: 3GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
    Personalization: HP Imprint Finish (Echo) + Microphone + Fingerprint Reader + Webcam
    Networking: Wireless LAN 802.11a/b/g/n
    Hard Drive: 160GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
    CD/DVD Drive: SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
    Battery: 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
    Dimensions (estimated): 8.82 (L) x 12.05 (W) x 1.23 (min H)/1.52" (max H)
    Weight (estimated): 4.59lbs​

Initial Impressions
    1. Fan noise is quite noticeable most of the time. I don't know the exact temperature of the chipset yet. At the highest speed it's very loud. Don't plan on gaming in a quiet area (e.g. library).
    2. SpeedFan, Sandra, and Hmonitor do not detect any sensors, which is likely due to the new chipset. Need to find a new way to measure temperature.
    3. Bloat, too much of it. Already there is more installed in my Start menu than my everyday PC. Maybe I'm just really organized... or there's too much bloatware.
    4. Screen is noticeably grainy, as expected. Certain angles are better than others, as are certain colors. Grain is bad with whites, considerably better with darker colors. Good vertical viewing angle assuming no direct lighting. Horrendous horizontal viewing angles - compensated by the ability to rotate the screen.
    5. Running 3DMark05 right now. Fan just kicked to high gear but laptop, including the bottom, remains only slightly warm. The plastic is good at hiding the heat from the keyboard and palm areas. But where is this heat going? Certainly not all of it out the exhaust. Maybe that is why it reaches 96 degrees in 3DMark06?
    6. PCMark05 failed, three times. Web Page rendering and XP HDD startup failed. Required patching. Benchmark is below - slightly faster than tx2000z but still 500 points shy of an Dell M1330.
    7. Most of the heat is concentrated to the top right corner of the laptop, where the exhaust fan is located. Hard drive spin causes slight warmth on the right palm rest. Otherwise, the laptop is relatively cool. Even the bottom of the notebook is only warm, never hot.
    8. About 1/3 of the task bar is filled with icons. This PC needs a reformat, bad. I will reformat with Vista 32-bit instead of 64-bit. Benchmark scores should improve slightly should I ever attempt to redo them.
    9. IE crashed three times, once for every score I submitted to ORB. Also crashed while trying to download Firefox from getfirefox.com. If this is the typical Vista experience out-of-box, nI can see why everyone hates it.
    10. HP Recovery Manager (to make your one recovery disc) is the slowest POS ever. 30 minutes just create the files. Recovery disc spans two DVD-Rs... and stupidly spans two DVD-DLs also (you'll have about 700MB on your second disc I'd say).
    11. Screen is virtually unviewable in the daylight. The problem lies with reflection more so than glare. I purchased a Photodon anti-reflect/high contrast screen protector. I'll let you guys know how it goes - should arrive Friday or earlier.

CPU-Z v1.45
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

GPU-Z
    [​IMG]
    For those of you wondering, I still cannot confirm whether there is 64MB of SidePort memory. There are no existing tools that I know of that is able to both accurately detect the chipset AND be able to differentiate between SidePort and shared meory. I'm welcome to any ideas, I would like to know myself.

CPUID Hardware Monitor (temperatures)
    During 3DMark06 test
    [​IMG]
    Temperatures range from 64 degrees to 97 degrees, which is high. But these are not normal circumstances and normal operations have lower temperatures. Also, it is unknown which sensor this is reading from - the GPU or CPU. Typically GPUs runs hotter. Although it being listed under ACPI leads me to believe it is the CPU, which is a bit scary. 97 degrees won't kill the processor instantly, but will shorten the life span over time. Maybe it's time to order a 3 year warranty :p.

SuperPi Mod v1.5 XS
    [​IMG]
    Supposedly AMD processors typically run SuperPi slower due to less L2 cache. But the Puma chipset has significantly raised the L2 cache to be nearly on par with C2D processors. Yet this processor STILL manages to run slower than most C2D processors - almost equivalent to previous generation Turions.

HDTune v2.55
    [​IMG]
    320GB drive seems to run faster than the 160GB drive - about 10 MB/sec average transfer rate greater.

Windows Experience Index
    [​IMG]
    It was suggested that my WEI score would be improved if I were to run dual channel with equivalent stick of RAM. This is true, as I am running in asynchronous mode. Maybe that is how the Australian version manager 4.0 WEI - not due to SidePort at all.

3DMark05: 2914 (HP tx2000 3DMark05: 636)
    [​IMG]

3DMark06: 1532 (Dell M 1330 3DMark 06: 1336)
    [​IMG]
    Previous score on an out-of-box Vista 64-bit I was able to attain a 3DM06 score of 1520. After a clean install with Vista 32-bit, I was able to achieve 1532 using the bundled drivers. I believe if I can use updated drivers (8.6 rather than the included 8.3(4?)) I may get even more significant gains. However, at this time PowerPlay is broken under the newer drivers. Goes to show there is little benefit to using 64-bit Vista right now.

PCMark05: 3875
    PCMark05 scores improved slightly over the tx2000 but still about 500 points less than the M1330. Not sure where the bottle neck is, but I don't believe it has to do with the new IGP, which is simply amazing.

None of the 3DMark tests can published because ORB does not recognize the new Radeon HD 3200 IGP. Notice the Generic VGA

Select EVEREST report
    Interesting to see frame buffer and memory size differ by 64 MB ;)
    Code:
    --------[ DMI ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ BIOS ]

BIOS Properties:
          Vendor                                            Hewlett-Packard
          Version                                           F.05
          Release Date                                      05/21/2008
          Size                                              1024 KB

[ Motherboard ]

Motherboard Properties:
          Manufacturer                                      Quanta
          Product                                           30F1
          Version                                           97.17

--------[ BIOS ]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BIOS Properties:
          BIOS Type                                         Insyde
          BIOS Version                                      F.05
          System BIOS Date                                  05/21/08
          Video BIOS Date                                   05/18/08

--------[ Power Management ]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Battery Properties:
          Device Name                                       Primary
          Manufacturer                                      Hewlett-Packard
          Unique ID                                         Hewlett-PackardPrimary
          Battery Type                                      Rechargeable Li-Ion
          Designed Capacity                                 88800 mWh
          Fully Charged Capacity                            114138 mWh
          Current Capacity                                  112717 mWh  (99 %)
          Voltage                                           8366 mV
          Wear Level                                        0 %
          Power State                                       AC Line, Charging

--------[ SPD ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ DIMM1: Hynix HYMP125S64CP8-S6 ]

Memory Module Properties:
          Module Name                                       Hynix HYMP125S64CP8-S6
          Manufacture Date                                  Week 21 / 2008
          Module Size                                       2 GB (2 ranks, 8 banks)
          Module Type                                       SO-DIMM
          Memory Type                                       DDR2 SDRAM
          Memory Speed                                      DDR2-800 (400 MHz)
          Module Width                                      64 bit
          Module Voltage                                    SSTL 1.8
          Error Detection Method                            None
          Refresh Rate                                      Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh

Memory Timings:
          @ 400 MHz                                         6-6-6-18  (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 24-51-3-6-3-3  (RC-RFC-RRD-WR-WTR-RTP)
          @ 333 MHz                                         5-5-5-15  (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 20-43-3-5-3-3  (RC-RFC-RRD-WR-WTR-RTP)
          @ 266 MHz                                         4-4-4-12  (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 16-34-2-4-2-2  (RC-RFC-RRD-WR-WTR-RTP)

[ DIMM2: Hynix HYMP112S64CP6-S6 ]

Memory Module Properties:
          Module Name                                       Hynix HYMP112S64CP6-S6
          Manufacture Date                                  Week 23 / 2008
          Module Size                                       1 GB (2 ranks, 8 banks)
          Module Type                                       SO-DIMM
          Memory Type                                       DDR2 SDRAM
          Memory Speed                                      DDR2-800 (400 MHz)
          Module Width                                      64 bit
          Module Voltage                                    SSTL 1.8
          Error Detection Method                            None
          Refresh Rate                                      Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh

Memory Timings:
          @ 400 MHz                                         6-6-6-18  (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 24-51-4-6-3-3  (RC-RFC-RRD-WR-WTR-RTP)
          @ 333 MHz                                         5-5-5-15  (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 20-43-4-5-3-3  (RC-RFC-RRD-WR-WTR-RTP)
          @ 266 MHz                                         4-4-4-12  (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 16-34-3-4-2-2  (RC-RFC-RRD-WR-WTR-RTP)

--------[ Chipset ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ North Bridge: AMD RS780M ]

North Bridge Properties:
          North Bridge                                      AMD RS780M
          Revision                                          00
          Package Type                                      528 Pin FC-BGA
          Package Size                                      2.1 cm x 2.1 cm
          Transistors                                       205 million
          Process Technology                                55 nm
          Core Voltage                                      1.0 V

Integrated Graphics Controller:
          Graphics Controller Type                          ATI Radeon HD 3200
          Graphics Controller Status                        Enabled
          Graphics Frame Buffer Size                        256 MB

PCI Express Controller:
          PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #247                            Empty
          PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #2                              In Use @ x1  (Broadcom 4322AG 802.11a/b/g/draft-n Wi-Fi Adapter [14E4-432B] [NoDB])
          PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #3                              In Use @ x1  (Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Adapter)

[ South Bridge: AMD SB700 ]

South Bridge Properties:
          South Bridge                                      AMD SB700
          Revision                                          00
          Package Type                                      528 Pin FC-BGA
          Package Size                                      2.1 cm x 2.1 cm
          Process Technology                                55 nm

High Definition Audio:
          Codec Name                                        Realtek ALC268
          Codec ID                                          10EC0268h / 103C30F1h
          Codec Revision                                    00100003h
          Codec Type                                        Audio
          Supported Sound Formats                           44 kHz, 48 kHz, 96 kHz, 192 kHz, 16-bit, 20-bit, 24-bit

High Definition Audio:
          Codec Name                                        Motorola Si3054
          Codec ID                                          10573055h / 103C30F1h
          Codec Revision                                    00100700h
          Codec Type                                        Modem

--------[ Windows Video ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics ]

Video Adapter Properties:
          Device Description                                ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
          Adapter String                                    ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
          BIOS String                                       BK-ATI VER010.088.000.002.029066
          Chip Type                                         ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics (0x9612)
          DAC Type                                          Internal DAC(400MHz)
          Driver Date                                       3/27/2008
          Driver Version                                    8.476.0.0
          Driver Provider                                   ATI Technologies Inc.
          Memory Size                                       320 MB

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. sickguy

sickguy Pen Pal - Newbie

Great! The main problem that we all concern is probably heat and battery life. Please let us know how it is compared to the previous model tx2000z (if you had one before), or just how hot it gets in general. Thanks.

3. bait

bait Pen Pal - Newbie

congrats!
    how's the fan noise/heat? those should be relatively easy to measure right away right? :p

4. christian m h

christian m h Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, I am really interested in the battery/heat differences vs. previous models. Mine should ship June 25th, I can live with the screen if it wins me over my T4220. You should try a simple game or two see if we can get any 3d?

5. forrestsun

forrestsun Scribbler - Standard Member

Congrats!!

I am desperate to see the battery performance and heat performance. Even just a little note will do but I need it asap, so I can arrange my friend, who will drive to Canada the Sunday, to pick one up for me. I have been reading about it for a long time but don't want to rush for the last minutes. So the timing is really critical.

On a side note y current tx2000 gives me about 3hours on power saving mode with wireless on (normal working condition).

Please just share some notes at your earliest convenience (better before tonight^_^). Thanks in advance!!

6. pardes3

pardes3 Scribbler - Standard Member

evensong: give PC wizard 2008 a try, that should give you the temp readings and also the "wow" factor when you minimize it :eek:)

7. tn1

tn1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Congrats on getting your tx2500. I am patiently waiting for mine. Keep us update on your power and heat tests. I was wondering is there anyway you could measure the dimensions of the screen? I want to order up a protector.

Thanks

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=17912

8. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

Congrats. I got the 2.1Ghz ZM-80. we'' swap notes when I get mine.

9. 01000001

01000001 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm with ^ him.

10. bait

bait Pen Pal - Newbie

wow awesome notes. so i take it the fan runs constantly instead of on/off. if it's anything like how my dv6000 is after the fan-constantly-on bios, i suppose it's tolerable. nice 3dmarks scores, but pcmark not running is of concern.