Are you having the screen bezel problem?

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by bobp, Nov 7, 2011.

?

Are you having the screen bezel problem with your S7S?

Poll closed Jan 6, 2012.
  1. No, my S7S appears to be OK

33 vote(s)
    33.7%
  2. I see a small amount of separation, but it's not a big deal

33 vote(s)
    33.7%
  3. I have enough separation, I'm concerned

19 vote(s)
    19.4%
  4. I returned or exchange my S7S because it was too bad

13 vote(s)
    13.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timpaatkins

timpaatkins Scribbler - Standard Member

Tabletartist, if you read other posts you'll realize its only a matter of time until you get dust, hair or more problems with this. Its unacceptable to pay premium price and them have something as important as the damn screen lifting off the thing!

2. timpaatkins

So far out of the votings, we have 26 who see screen separation and 13 who seem to be fine. Not very good numbers...

3. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

It's true that it doesn't look good, but remember that this is an extremely small sample size. Also keep in mind that most people with problems go looking for answers. People who don't have a problem don't go looking for answers :)

I'm not discounting anything, but it's still early. I sent mine back and I've decided to find something as a transition slate until Win8 comes next year. To each his own.

4. nonentity

nonentity Pen Pal - Newbie

That's also counting every reported range, including ones that aren't bad enough to worry the owner. I voted the "not a big deal" option, but all I'm seeing is a minor lift on the left side that (so far) doesn't seem to be getting any larger, it just raises the glass slightly higher on that end. I squeeze it down from time to time out of paranoia, but I don't know that it's doing much.

5. area52

area52 Scribbler - Standard Member

Got an A04 from a retail Microsoft Store three days ago. I think it had a very very slightly raise bottom-left corner out of the box. I would have not noticed it right away if I wasn't looking for it most likely--perhaps even now. It lowered I think when I pressed it down, and it stays down. Mine is so minor I would vote "not a big deal" right now. I'll wait and see if anything happens before voting.

I talked to multiple sales people and a service tech, and they were not aware of build quality issues. While it could be true that they don't know anything, it seemed to be disingenuous to not acknowledge rumors, especially by the service guy. On the otherhand, my slate is fairly solid for a mobile pc (no creaking, no flexing), and while there is evidence of a possible glass issue, I have only a minor concern about it so far. My more pressing concerns are the ergonomics or the safe hold-ability of the device because of the initial slipperiness, and lack of grip. I didn't think about it at that time, but I hope they gave me a well-inspected unit because of the concerns I raised.

6. Coyote

Coyote Pen Pal - Newbie

I've noticed this along the bottom of my unit. It is concerning and certainly shouldn't be happening on any product, let alone one in this high end range. It seems very un Samsung like.

Nonetheless, I'm contacting the MS Store to arrange an exchange when they can ship one out. I certainly am not going to be incovenienced by being without while this gets fixed.

They need to provide an exchange with a corrected product and Samsung needs to take resposibility. They should also send us a free Samsung keyboard for our trouble.

7. bobp

bobp Scribbler - Standard Member

Just came back from the Houston MS Store to pick up my dock (yeah!!!).

They had a lot of the S7S's on the floor for demo - including units being carried around by the staff.

When I asked about returns - they said they had sold a lot of pre-orders and only a few of them have come back for returns.

8. timpaatkins

I asked a guy on ebay who was selling one about the screen bezel and linked to that Youtube vid, and he said his company had sold hundreds of these, and he hadn't heard of a single lift, except once but that was the Xoom. They do have a "no returns" policy though, so maybe thats why he hasnt heard anything, hehe. But they guy had no reason to blow smoke up my butt since he wasnt able to ship to Sweden anyway. I dont know what to do now. Wait until Samsung does a recall? What if they dont and this was just one batch? Sit here forever twiddling my thumbs waiting for something to happen?

It still seems strange that we hardly hear from people with flawless devices. Even if most people aren't vocal with anything but problems, one would think that they frequent the forums anyway, and follow the bezelproblem threads with interest.

Bobp, did they mention what the issues were with the people who had returned them?

9. Mac Wilson

Mac Wilson Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, i'm scared to sell mine on Ebay. As a matter of fact, I just won't do it.
    It's a problem waiting to happen. Mine is fine (the unit I would sell) but I handle it with kid gloves.
    I would expect any buyer would not, and therefore I would be worried that I would get an email a week out saying that the expensive computer I sold them has severe issues. The numbers suggest that the probability is very high that a machine I sold would fail (in structurally integrity) almost immediately. These are bleak numbers indeed.

10. timpaatkins

Mac, does your machine have any flex? I think you should handle it without the kid gloves for a bit, because if there is a problem it will become apparent quickly and you can ship it back to Samsung and get a replacement that doesn't have the problem, but if you keep handling it like an egg, it'll just take longer until it happens, and worst case scenario, youre out of warranty,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.