Are You Having Pro 3 Problems; Did You Change Something?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Jul 8, 2014.

?

Am I Having Pro 3 Problems or Not?

Poll closed Jul 22, 2014.
  1. I changed something and I'm having problems

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. I changed something but I'm not having problems

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. I didn't change anything and I'm having problems

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. I didn't change anything and no problems!

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

I would suspect the next connection would go much faster.... let us know.

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

That post is something like a year old, I believe. Since then I've been forced to unplug and replug all the items and while faster it certainly isn't instant.

Balbutio ergo sum

3. crashnburn

crashnburn Scribbler - Standard Member

What Updates/ Firmware updates etc have you installed and what issues have they fixed? I just got an SP3 thats dated 2014 (Costco Stock)

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...What Updates/ Firmware updates etc have you installed and what issues have they fixed?..>>

crash: Firmware updates are cumulative; that is, each new update contains all previous updates. Therefore, you can't "pick and choose" what firmware updates you want or don't want. It's all (update) or nothing (don't update). I strongly advise you to update.

With regard to Windows updates, there have been so many over the past year that I think picking and choosing doesn't make much sense. Suffice to say that although there have been problematic updates in the past, those will have been weeded out by now. Running Windows Update will simply gather all the past updates that are still relevant (or that haven't been superseded by newer updates) and install them. Again, I advise you to just do it. The Pro 3 forum has been fairly quiet lately, and I don't think that anyone is complaining about any recent update-related issues. In fact, the most popular topic in the entire Microsoft forum has been Bronsky and Mesosphere arguing about whether the best mini-Surface tablet should be 8.3" or 8.4"...!

excalibur1814 likes this.
  5. crashnburn

crashnburn Scribbler - Standard Member

Hmm.. So good ole Windows System Update and life should be good? Let me post back what I find coming up on my system before I go it.

PS: This is what I posted on Surface Forums a little while back.

6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Here is some new and rather strange problems after upgrading to Windows 10 on my Surface Pro 3, and only on that machine.

1) Video driver seems less than stellar. I will suddenly get bib black blotches on my external screens. If I move my cursor to that screen it begins to flicket but if I click on an empty space on the screen it stops.

2) Internet connection (Ethernet/wired) will drop after about 200 Mb has gone back and forth. Other Machines on the network are not affected.

7. Barstuck

Barstuck Pen Pal - Newbie

So, after 10 months or so of great performance, I had my first (real) problem with by SP3.

A couple (few?) weeks ago, my coworker who has the same model, told me he had a yellow streak on his screen. Something to do with the way the screen or something was glued on.

Not 2 days later, but I see a yellow streak on my tablet as well.

Fortunately, when I took it to Microsoft store, they told me they would replace it as it was a manufacturing defect (the gluing process).
    Unfortunately, it took almost 3 weeks for the new unit as they had none in stock, and every time I'd follow up they "had no record of a unit being ordered for me".

But I now have the new unit, no yellow streak.
    My coworker meanwhile, is still waiting for his new unit.

So, in the spirit of the topic of this thread, yes, I had a problem. No, I did not change anything (except the unit to fix the problem).

Still the best computer I've owned though. :)

excalibur1814 likes this.
  8. GiGo

GiGo Pen Pal - Newbie

Same problem as Barstuck (had mine almost 12 months), mine is too the i7 256gb version of the SP3, my fans also make a loud whinning noise :( Just filled out an advanced replacement as I can't be without my SP3 for upto 3 weeks!

Yellow Haze around left, right and bottom on the screen.
    The fan whizzs up when hot and when you move the surface round it makes all kinds of sounds.

9. Barstuck

Barstuck Pen Pal - Newbie

So I finally got the replacement device.... and this one is WORSE.

Irregular fan noise is louder, and occurs when the fan is on low.

Previously, it was a low sound like maybe the fan was vibrating, and only when fan going full out.
    Now, it sounds like the fan is rubbing or such, and as said, any time it is on.
    (note: noise occurs for both when fan is on, and the device is moved, such as tilting it).

Very frustrating.

I wonder if they will let me trade it for a SPro4? o_O

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

They will resist. My experience with MS warranty service is limited to "in store" service. But, I have found that speaking your mind about the inconvenience this is causing and how the repeated shipping of defective refurbished units makes you wonder about the quality of the work and suggest that you would like a credit to purchase an SP4. Be polite but persistent. Phrases like "would you be happy if you were treated like this?", spoken in an almost pleading note pulls at the heart strings of even the most stone faced tech reps. "I paid a premium for quality" was another phrase that seemed to hit home. You might have to politely escalate your claim as well. I once wound up speaking to the store manager and she refunded not only my purchase price to be applied to the new S3, but reissued a full complete care policy to cover a full 2 years. Good luck.

Barstuck likes this.