Are you happy with your TX2500Z?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by newooub, Jul 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PCgirl

PCgirl Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm a non-gaming, non-techie and I mainly purchased the notebook because I wanted a small/lightweight portable notebook for travel. It is my first tablet/touchscreen PC. The fact that it is a tablet/touchscreen was just a bonus for me (since I'm not a note-taker and I've been out of school for a long time :p) and the fingerprint reader came standard on the 2510 so that too is a bonus. I use Firefox (3.0 works great now, btw) and not IE so I don't use the reader anyway except for startup. The low price was also a bonus since I was prepared to spend twice as much on an ultra-portable notebook.

This forum has been great. Drtigerlilly and many others have been so helpful. I've learned a ton of stuff, like Norton is a resource hog and how to tweak Vista and get rid of bloatware. I've discovered piclens and other cool things to play with. And I learned to make my notebook run cooler by changing the usage settings in power save mode. When I'm sitting at a desk I use a cooling pad so the notebook fan is never on so it is very quiet and the fan noise isn't an issue for me anyway. And I learned that certain things plugged into your USB port can make the notebook not work properly! :rolleyes:

Yes, I am happy with my notebook. The build quality is fine since I am very careful with all my laptops anyway. Yes, the fingerprints show easily on the cover, but that's why they provide that little wipe. ;)

And as soon as I get used to writing on the tablet and learn how to use all the features (one-note, etc.) I'm sure I'll love it even more.

2. newooub

newooub Pen Pal - Newbie

Not really; I got mine with defective sound card, but I decided to just keep it coz it's a rather minor problem. So, I think with TX2500, you get what you pay for. Also, there are horror stories/rumors about HP repair and customer service on this forum.

The price is good, but if I consider the cost of trying to fix my TX2500 or talking to customer service instead of using my time to get extra job & extra $$$ , TX2500 price is not that much better.

3. PCgirl

PCgirl Pen Pal - Newbie

If you're not happy with it, you should exchange it for a new one. I don't know what a sound card is, but if you listen to music or watch videos I would think it would be important to have one that worked. HP gave me no trouble whatsoever when I exchanged mine. In fact, they were the ones who suggested I do an exchange since I didn't know it was an option. I had only contacted them to try to fix a screensaver issue (which they couldn't figure out but it ended up being caused by the wireless mouse). :rolleyes: But it was a good thing that I got a replacement since the first one also had internet and tablet issues.

4. newooub

newooub Pen Pal - Newbie

They don't have 2.4 Ghz processor anymore, and processing speed is the one thing that I need the most, not memory, graphic card, sound system, or anything else, so my only option is to send it for a repair, which I can do later, if I get annoyed enough. &, HP customer service said that I could lose the discount if I exchange it.

5. jsnorman

jsnorman Chicago Lawyer

90% happy :)

Just passed the 21st day (return period is 21 days) and was considering whether to return. After a thorough review of new Fujitsu tablets, x61t, and the now very outdated toshiba m700, I decided to keep.

FYI, I have had a LOT of a tablets so this is hardly my first: TC1100, Samsung Q1 SSD, Fujitsu P1610, IBM X41t (qty 2!), and my trusty Fujitsu T4215 which is now going on sale.

My use of all of these is 70% business (for which the old x41t would be fine), and 30% entertainment especially during business travel (movies and music, some gaming).

With all that, I think the tx2500z is currently the best overall tablet though it could be improved.

Pro (I have starred the ones that put together really differentiate this from any other currently available tablet):
    Widescreen
    Speedy processor (I have the 2.4ghz)
    *Windows x64 Ultimate works without a hitch, all drivers available from hp and fully supported
    *Active digitizer (a must for me)
    *Dedicated HD full frame rate capable video processor
    *Built in optical drive
    *Weight under 5lbs with 6 cell - barely
    Decent, though not great, battery life (certainly as good as its competitors though)
    Touchpad (thought I would hate it but I love it)
    Dual stereo mics
    *Outstanding sound (best i have ever heard on an ultraportable class machine)
    *SATA drive interface (faster the PIDE which the cheap Dell XT has, and also enable use of latest generation SSDs)
    Screen feel and accuracy of writing with pen (subjective but I like this better than both Fujitsu and almost as much as the x41t - still the x41t takes the gold)
    Built in webcam
    *Expresscard (for my broadband connection)

Cons:
    Somewhat cheap build though not as bad as I thought it might be - I ended up buying the extended warranty just in case
    BIOS locked Mini-PCIe card (yes, its true - you can only replace the wireless card with one from HP; I tried and was immediately locked out of my computer, and that just sucks - 2 thumbs down!)
    Poor battery placement (extended battery is forced to stick out too much to be easily placed in a smaller travel sleeve); HP should have designed a battery wedge like Dell, Lenovo, Toshiba and even its own 2710p.
    No real docking station (XB4 is okay but I really miss having a pop-in dock that does not require any cabling)
    Large-ish power brick
    Low screen brightness
    Low screen contrast
    No outdoor readable screen is available even as an option
    Built in wifi card, which cannot be replaced with different model/brand, has buggy 64 bit drivers (may be fixed - I just downloaded brand new Broadcomm drivers so hopefully no more BSODs)
    No blu-ray drive (that would rock! - should be a natural fit given capability of video processor)
    No built-in broadband option
    No built-in GPS option
    Heaviest of all the tablets I have owned to date at almost exactly 5 lbs, though certainly not the heaviest on the market

Of all the cons, the only one that really troubles me is the lack of a decent brightness/higher contrast screen. I gladly give that up for all of the pros for now however.

6. mcdull

mcdull Pen Pal - Newbie

Before I got the TX2500Z, I was also debating between Dell XT and TX2500Z.

The only reason I got the TX2500Z is because of pressure sensitivity support in Photoshop. The better 3D graphics card might give me some fun to play some FPS when I'm on a trip. The grainy touchscreen is very obvious a turn down, compared to my lovely Dell 700m.

IMO, refuribshed Dell XT is a much better deal, lighter, better built, excellent LCD and multitouch screen.
    If you don't play hardcore games and don't need pressure senstivity in Photoshop or using other painting software that uses Windows Ink driver, Dell XT is the one to get.

7. Cadaeic

Cadaeic Scribbler - Standard Member

Very happy with mine, especially the graphics prowess. Didn't specifically buy it for the tablet goodness, but it was priced right for the features. The only thing I would change if possible would be the platform based on an Intel chip... but I wouldn't want to relinquish the GPU just for the privilege.

8. delvestoodeep

delvestoodeep Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm only on my first day of ownership, but I'm quite happy with the TX2500 so far.

*Knocks on wood*

I've got a 2.1ghz ZM-80, 4gb RAM 250GB hdd and 64 bit Vista Home Premium. I've got the 6 cell battery. There is a learning curve involved in owning this, I think - but I chalk that up to me never having a laptop (or tablet) before, and never using Vista before.

I've not had any terrible heat issues. I'm not really sure what the "norm" is for laptops of this size, as this is my first, but I've not had any particular problems with the heat output. The fan on the back, while it does run often, isn't terribly loud - much quieter than my desktop, certainly.

The machine feels sturdy enough for use around the house, office, or taking on vacation. I plan on using it for note taking at meetings once I get Office 2007 Installed.

Battery-life wise... That I still need to do some more testing with. The battery charged up to full fairly quickly, and in power-save mode (which is fine for web-browsing, note taking, music playing) I *think* I saw a drop from 100% to 91% in about a half out of wireless internet use on the couch this morning.

Wireless works very well, in my opinion. I was set up this morning across the house from the router - with two walls in between, and I got very good connection. In fact, I've walked all around the house and not found any problems yet.

It feels pretty snappy and responsive in general use, though I plan to give some games a try tonight - Probably HL2 and Portal tonight, and Maybe NWN2 this weekend.

Webcam, microphone, and headphone jacks work well also. No setup was needed for anything, really.

The only thing I want to solve is this: WEI score of 3.8. I've read that I should be looking at a 4.0 with this model. The lowest score is the gaming graphics of 3.8. Dunno why, and I'm not sure how that will manifest itself in my gaming tonight. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

9. WallyM

WallyM Pen Pal - Newbie

got it yesterday 7/23. :D

I don't know if people are getting used to vista or what, but doesn't anyone feel that out of the box this thing is slow as molasses with the areo interface? Yes, turning on best performance is an option (no it isn't).
    After 2 years of vista being out there.... the options of the 2.1 up to the 2.4 processor...would that have really made a difference?

Doesn't it still load for 1-3 minutes after you have gotten to the windows screen (hardrive light flashing, opening browser & such right off the bat very slow in loading, sometimes seconds before it responds to clicks until evvverrryyythinggg that is vista is loaded?)? After everything is running for a while I still get frustrating with the milliseconds of waiting for the pen to pop up the type insert and other things.

It has already shutdown out of the blue on my lap at the coffee house after 20 min or so. (yes I know on a hard flat surface...but come on..)

3 DVD disks this morning doing the recovery disk creation, all ruined. I am now doing a 1 dual disk I just bought at staples, and it better work...grrrrr.

That quickplay stuff as my other laptops drives me crazy with the accidental turn on, especially when you have the tablet facing out..there this this wierd configuration for the touch buttons(such as quickplay) that doesnt really seem to jive at all with the picture they show in the utility and what we actually have on the tablet. anybody have any luck? I'd really like to configure those buttons for something useful....

but that saying LOL,....

I am glad I am able to afford a tablet...to do photoshop and painter directly on the screeen with an active digitizer.....YAY!!
    I am looking foward to asking tips and such here, and hopefully contributing in the photoshop/3d aspect.

I know I will be able to speed up this thing with hints and tips and such. but I was really hoping for something out of the box to have menu response time instantaneous by now. vista interface should be fast on any computer today....

Wally

10. newooub

newooub Pen Pal - Newbie

If you really need faster boot speed, I heard-I'm not sure- Intel® Turbo Memory can make booting faster, so you might want to search a tablet with it.

If you have problem with making recovery disk, I think you can just order the recovery disk from HP website.