Are you happy with your TX2500Z?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by newooub, Jul 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MiKeN

MiKeN Pen Pal - Newbie

Well as the title says, are you happy with your TX2500Z? I'm debating between a Dell XT (refurb) and a TX2500Z so I just want to know what you guys think of your machine.

Do you think that it is slow, fast, or just right for any work that you do? How do you find the build quality of the machine? Is it sturdy? Does it feel like it is made of quality material and do you find it heavy? Do you think the machine will last? Approximately how long does the battery last? Does the TX2500Z get hot so hot that you can't bear it? I've read how people feel discomfort but wouldn't a little underclocking fix that? Also how is the fan noise? Thoughts? Is it worth the money? Thanks (Sorry if thats a lot of questions haha, sometimes they just needed to be asked, and sorry if they have been asked already, I have used the search).

2. RaidenWoW

RaidenWoW Pen Pal - Newbie

My tx2500z I'm very happy with so far.
    I hate the fact that the fingerprint reader stopped working though. I am also doubtful about the build quality. I don't know if it's my imagination, but I think the frame around the screen isn't as sturdy as it may look. I think after continuous use, people might start seeing problems.

Sacrificing durability for style is dangerous. I believe that if you want to buy a tablet PC, buy one that's ugly. HP's tablet pc is eye candy. I made the mistake of buying a dv9000 and the hinges broke twice because of heat issues. I'd hate to see something similar happen to my tx2500z.

Other than the dubious build quality, I love it! Great features and great altogether style and performance!

It does get a little hot though :(

3. Parjoe

Parjoe Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm thoroughly happy with my tx2500z as well. (I've had it a little over 2 weeks now).

My fingerprint reader doesn't work either, but only after resuming from sleep. Otherwise it's fine.

Overall, the build quality doesn't really bother me. I actually like the way it looks even though it's a bit flashy compared to most laptops.

The only things that have really bothered me are the heat and the screen quality. For the heat, it hasn't been the processor heat so much as the harddrive heat. It's placed right under my right hand when I'm typing. BUT...
    what's really helped is turning off the vista feature "Superfetch". So the heat is tolerable now because superfetch isn't constantly accessing the harddrive.

The screen, however, leaves a lot to be desired. Especially with the anti-glare screen protector. I'm getting used to it, but I really wish it were clearer and had better viewing angles.

The NICEST thing about about the tx2500...is that whenever I lament something, I just think about how inexpensive it is. I was torn between this and the Toshiba m700, but it would have cost almost 1000 more for a similarly spec'd Toshiba. So, yes....I'm am very happy with my purchase :)

The Dell for me was underpowered and the fact that it currently lacks pressure sensitivity in photoshop was a deal breaker for me.

4. bobbler

bobbler Pen Pal - Newbie

Would agree with the above sentiments, but the XT is looking completely overpriced for such a dire specification, I mean its double the price of the HP for half the power!

Heat? This TX is nothing in comparison to a Dell XPS M1210, that got hot through the base across the entire left hand side, far hotter than this HP and became uncomfortable when I wasn't even pushing its performance IMO.

5. mrb835

mrb835 Pen Pal - Newbie

He is talking about a Dell XT refurb. I just got an XT refurb and it was $908 with tax and shipping. I used a 20% off coupon that they have right now. Refurb Dell XT's are about the same price as a TX2500. That don't have as many features but I was looking for something with a better build quality and lighter. I didn't need all the extras that the TX2500 has. I was also looking for something that wasn't as hot and didn't make as much noise.

6. jomodad

jomodad Pen Pal - Newbie

the big issue I have with Dell is their computers and service and support donot live up to their hype. I purchased my first Dell Desktop and they have left me on my own to find fixes and work arounds. If you goto to their on-line support forum you will find a lot of really upset Dell owners. I tried to find the same kind of discontent with HP owners and I can't. They don't feel like they got ripped off. So if a Dell outta the box has those kinda troubles I don't wanna know what a refurb does. Good luck with Dell.

I have been buying PC's since before color and we had to chdir and chkdsk. Macs, Amiga, IBM, Sony etc....

7. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

my experiences w/ dell have been different, if i had software issues, yes their tech support was clueless...but these are people who are not necessarily technically proficient, they're reading off a script.

Re physical issues, anytime i had one they had a technician at my apartment the following day w/ the replacement part (w/ the international warranty service which at the time i paid like maybe an extra $200 for) or w/ the limited warranty they'd ship out the part to you & you'd have it w/in a couple days. ( a little longer for me since i'm in the caribbean and have to use the whole US mailbox bit)

In the past i've had good experience w/ HP's and getting them fixed, but in the last 2 years, i've realized that they've closed alot of their service centers particularly outside of the caribbean, and they've changed their warranty terms.

Previously i had no problems getting US purchased notebooks serviced in the Caribbean, in recent times, that happens no more, you have to get the machine serviced in the region in which it is purchased, which might be a non issue for those of you that are state side, but is definitely an issue for people who are back & forth between the states.

Right now my major concern w/ HP, is the issue that they've been experiencing w/ the DV series notebooks and though unconfirmed at present, it is seeming like the same issue might exist in the tx1000/2000 series. There is the hope that it doesn't extend to the tx2500 series since the chipset is different, but then users have been mentioning issues like the fingerprint reader dying and it gives me cause for concern.

I was really excited about the lower price point of the tx line when they first came out, and even considered getting one to supplement my x61t (b/c it doesn't have stereo mix or a built in optical drive) and i've been following the threads and after actually using the tx1000 (which essentially has the same body)...it's made me a little wary.

I'm beginning to think you get what you pay for, and i know that the x61 isn't w/o fault, but i at least feel that i can get some sort of response from Lenovo when things go wrong.

just my two cents.

8. mrb835

mrb835 Pen Pal - Newbie

I am not to worried about support and such because I work in the MIS department at an accounting firm and all we have are Dell computers. My new XT refurb will be my secondary computer as I already have a MacBook Pro. I have heard really good things about the dell refurbs.

9. bobbler

bobbler Pen Pal - Newbie

Ah sorry, didn't realise we needed to be finding discount codes and rebates in order to make the price match. Even then the specification is shockingly bad for the money no matter what price you get it for. It needs to be around half the price again to make it worth the money IMO. Running Vista on 1GB of RAM cannot be fun which is what you get in the base spec (at £1100 on the UK site right now!).

Build quality I would expect it to be different and it is. The Dell is aimed at the business market who demand build but don't care about features on a tablet...they would be buying it for a specific purpose such as mobile survey taking, kitchen planning or as a EPOS/Stock terminal for "queue busting" - I speak with a touch of experience of setting up tablet based machines (HP/Compaq) for just this purpose in a retail environment , the HP is a high spec'd home user multimedia machine which just happens to turn into a tablet.

I take it you haven't tried a laptop with a performance processor and graphics? The noise/heat issue is no different than any other performance laptop I have used from the Dell XPS range (M1210 which I have owned for 2+ years, M17 something). I can barely hear the HP which I am typing on right now and noise is a complete non-issue when choosing a machine from my point of view - though I do understand it may be on others radars.

I just find it hard to put the two machines in the same comparison, they just both have a tablet form factor and thats where it ends IMO.

10. twistntouch

twistntouch Pen Pal - Newbie

I own a tx2500z and its fantastic. The build quality is pretty far below what you would find in a new dell XT, but I have no experience with their refurbs however. Even though it may have some flaws though, for the price and features of the tx2500, I couldn't go wrong. I'm very happy with it. I think the hinge seems pretty sturdy but the top case/ bezel collects fingerprints really easy and seems to scratch just as easily. The lower chassis is very well designed and constructed though; easily the best 12.1" keyboard ive typed on