Are you happy that you bought your Asus R1F?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by shawbridge, Feb 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shawbridge

shawbridge Pen Pal - Newbie

Are you glad that you chose the Asus or in hindsight would you have preferred to buy another? If the latter, knowing what you now know, what laptop would you buy?

I am trying to figure out what to buy. Thus Asus is highly recommended by the reseller I've dealt with in the past, but reading the posts on this site, I hear some concerns about design flaws not being fully worked through. I'd love to get your opinion. Thanks.

2. dantheman

dantheman Pen Pal - Newbie

what you read on this site will be pretty much only the concerns and problems that we all have with our laptops. so this isn't a very good representative sample of the pros and cons of an r1f.
    i love mine. i use it everyday for school, a lot! i have been lucky and after a month and a half i only have 2% wear on the battery. but others haven't been so lucky.
    when i was doing the research to buy a tablet i came across a few that were contenders, but to be honest they were way more expensive than the r1f. the price, the r1f offers a lot more than the competition.
    it is still a solid machine (despite what is listed on this forum :eek: ) i have had very little problems with it for the amount of use that i put it through.

here are some positive points:

-price (already talked about)
    -screen size is perfect and not as grainy as some tablets
    -it is light; doesn't weight much
    -compatible with almost any other hardware that i've used.
    -the screen is durable.
    -the warranty is longer than most manufacturers
    -and last it is just an awesome laptop

i don't think that anyone on this forum would like to get rid of their r1f. so that should speak for itself.

hope that helps:cool:

3. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Absopositively.

The R1F is hands down the best of the seven or eight different laptops I have owned.

> Love the tablet form factor. I am way more organized. and being able to search handwritten notes is a god send.
    > Love the size and weight. My last laptop was a 15.4 behemoth and this 13.3 really didn't cost me much in viewing area and is much easier to carry.
    > Core 2 Duo: Yay! The processor is socketed: Bonus Yay!
    > The modular bay is something that will come in handy.
    > Screen is bright and readable.
    > Warranty and customer support: Better than industry average.
    > Laptop bag: Use it every day.

Cons:

Mouse: Functional but my hands are too big for it. I use the new Microsoft BT 8000 mouse.

Battery: sucks but it hasn't hurt me. I'll probably check out a fix mentioned in other threads and then RMA if it doesn't help

Static: More annoying than the battery issue. Been fixed pretty well by the driver, but I still carry a Turtlebeach external card ( very very small ) that uses USB and sounds great.

Scratched pen: Non-issue. Mine looks fine. If you want to complain about scratches, the top of the laptop seems more susceptible to this.

Put it this way: If my R1 got run over by a bus, I'd replace it with ...another R1.

Highly recommended. Very good value for the money.

4. Vladimir

Vladimir Pen Pal - Newbie

I will be very happy once Asus fixes the problems with the battery otherwise I will sell mine as this is not acceptable. My 4 years old HP nx7000 still gets over 4h of batery life and the Asus barely makes it to 3h.
    If battery life is not that important buy it, otherwise you should wait or buy the Fujitsu tablet.
    The Asus has a pretty good screen and the size is great. It is pretty fast and the other specs are also good.

The biggest problems are with the battery as mentioned, the fan runs all the time (quiet but it's there), the sound is not good and the pen scratches when you put it in the holder. And the Asus support is really bad here in the UK and Germany where I called.
    This all said I would probably buy the same again if they fix the battery issue.

5. cecirdr

cecirdr Scribbler - Standard Member

Not really. I have the battery problem, static, a fingerprint scanner than needs to be better attached, and if my laptop is recharging the battery while I'm on wireless, it turns off the wireless by itself. (it only happens if charging, not if on battery life or when on power but not charging).

If Asus can fix all of these issues, I'll like it just fine. But until then, it's not as useful as a portable, laptop is supposed to be. It's more like a tiny desktop...not at all what I was looking for when I bought it.

6. deek

deek Scribbler - Standard Member

I really enjoy my R1F. I use it to take all my notes in my university classes. This is the first portable device that I have used. While my battery got 13% wear in the first month (going to RMA it sometime soon) I still get about 3 hours with my configuration. If I were to have to replace my R1F I would replace it with another R1F as well.

7. Loaf.

Loaf. Scribbler - Standard Member

the only tablet that has given me the slightest bit of regret is the new thinkpad tablet. but then after you see the price tag, almost all the regret disappears.

I think the biggest selling point of this tablet will be its size. 13.3" is pretty much perfect for a portable.

Only problems i've had are the static, fingerprint scanner, and battery. The new drivers have reduced the static to where I can only hear it if nothing is playing. The loose fingerprint panel thing is a non issue as i just glued it back and also cuz i find it largely useless. The battery is probably the most annoying problem. I RMA-ed my first battery in a very easy process and am on my second one now. Windows is showing 15% wear on it already which is troubling, but since I can't be without it till school is over I bought a modular battery just in case. Together they provide me with about 5 hrs of battery life.

8. weinilourson

weinilourson Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes.

My only real complaint is the battery life. But I've bought a modualar bay battery, and I have over 5 hours per day now, which is plenty.

This machine is very very fast, considering that I run it at 50% on battery saving mode. The screen size is perfect. You can work on it for long periods of time.

I think my alternative would be the Fujitsu P1610, which is more expensive. But then the screen is much smaller (though it is a lighter machine).

Which tablet you buy really depends on your needs. My R1F is my everyday companion now.

weini

9. shawbridge

shawbridge Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks. I've ordered an Asus. I hope that they fix the problem with the battery, which according to one of the posts here is in the software built into the BIOS so that you don't actually get the true battery life.