Are you buying a new iPad Pro?

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by COGBABY, Jun 9, 2017.

Tags:
?

Are you buying a new iPad Pro?

1. Yes, a 12.9 inch.

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. Yes, a 10.5 inch.

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Thinking about it...

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Nope!

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  1. COGBABY

COGBABY Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm thinking of replacing my Cintiq Companion 2 with iPad Pro, as the things I do with it when mobile are things I could probably do more comfortably on the Apple device. (Sketchbook Pro, Email, Excel, viewing STL files). Then get a desktop for heavy duty stuff.

I'm a bit frustrated with the weight, poor battery life, fan noise and screen ratio of the CC2.

Haven't been too impressed with MS/Wacom's latest offerings either. Despite their collaboration, you still have to buy a Wacom EMR device to get the most responsive stylus, and put up with the weight and poor battery life.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  2. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I was going to get the 10.5 one... but I wont be using it for drawing, note takeing sure....

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

COGBABY likes this.
  3. COGBABY

COGBABY Pen Pal - Newbie

Why not drawing? Or you just don't like drawing...

4. metalsiren

I can't draw, so that's the main reason why :)

Bronsky and COGBABY like this.
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Nope. I have the unwieldy iPP 12.9 already, and while I like the idea of something lighter and more compact, the jump down to 10.5" is a lot. I'm also hesitant to jump onto yet another device with a screen resolution that might not be supported any time soon by the big apps. Case in point (repeating myself here): The NYTimes app still doesn't support the 12.9" iPad screen size / resolution.

What I'd like personally is a 12" iPP with small bezels and force touch. And given how Apple is adding new screen sizes willy nilly it might actually happen! :)

COGBABY likes this.
  6. steven

steven Pen Pal - Newbie

Yep. I'll buy the 12.9 version.
    My partner and I (she's an illustrator as well) debated on wether to buy a MSP, the Yoga 720, Surface Pro (2017) or Samsung Book or the ipad pro 12.9.
    In the end we've decided to go for the ipad pro 12.9 mainly for two reasons:

a) I won't travel as much for on site jobs anymore so buying a mobile workstation isn't necessary right now.

b) Out of all the devices we tested the (old) ipad still was the most easy to use, comfortable sketching device with procreate.
    Sketching on a windows device always required an additional keyboard/controller/shortcut-bar or some software like toolbar creator which sometimes works, sometimes doesnt.
    The ipad just works (at least it did when we borrowed one from friends for 2 weeks).

And so for the first time i will purchase an apple device myself, i just don't know yet if i go for the 512 or if the 256 will be enough.

COGBABY and WillAdams like this.
  7. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I have the 128gb and I never filled it.
    Whatever you'll choose, you're really going to like drawing on it: I did most of my illustrations with that in 2016.
    That obviously as long as you don't need tons of layers or too large files. :)

I also considered selling it in the past days and get a 10.5 but nope, in the end I'm fine with it.

COGBABY and steven like this.
  8. steven

steven Pen Pal - Newbie

Thx. Then i'll go with the 256gbyte version. I was already leaning to that already but your comment made the decision.

COGBABY likes this.
  9. metalsiren

yea thats what I did sold my 12.9 and went with 10.5. I was using for games, videos and notes so didnt need the 12.9 space.

COGBABY likes this.
  10. AmandaOsborne

AmandaOsborne Pen Pal - Newbie