Are there good Wacom AES or MPP devices that support linux?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Hell-Cat, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Hell-Cat

Hell-Cat Pen Pal - Newbie

Wacom AES means Wacom Active ElectroStatic technology.
    MPP means microsoft pen protocol which used to be called n-trig.

I don't want Wacom EMR because it emits a lot of electromagnetic radiation. So, I'm looking for electrostatic pen displays.

I want a pen display that supports Wacom AES or MPP and doesn't have to rely on bluetooth or any other wireless technology to function properly.

I also want smooth linux support.

2. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

From @Shogmaster's description, the Lenovo Flex 5 w/ AMD's new zen 2 chips implements Wacom AES pretty well.

From Lon's review below, it seems to run Linux pretty well (or at least Ubuntu).

3. Hell-Cat

@jedah Lenovo Flex5 looks nice, but I prefer a dedicated pen display to a laptop with a pen display. Can you recommend any pen display device that satisfies my need?

What about iPad? Does apple pencil require wireless data transmission?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The Microsoft Surface Studio is the only system I can think of; huge, powerful, (and everybody loves that hinge!).

The price tag is hefty, but it looks like a dream machine; I don't think they've completely eliminated pen wobble, but it supposedly remains one of the best implementations of MPP.

As I think about it.., there is a high-resolution 20" Panasonic toughpad which uses a light pen and looks amazing, but nobody around here could afford one to test it out. The pen seemed a little thick for my liking, but without trying, who knows if it was any good?

I wouldn't go with an iPad; the 'Pencil' is quite nice, superior to MPP and Wacom AES in terms of tactile response, but Apple is in the practice of making some of the most EM toxic consumer media devices in the world. Any EM reductions you'd experience from their screen tech would be made up for in spades by it being an otherwise radioactive Apple product.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  5. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

My bad. I totally missed that you wanted a pen display. In the hardware section of the forum, I think someone mentioned Lenovo is coming out w/ a 14' USB monitor that looks like it will use Wacom AES. Details are still pretty sparse though

https://news.lenovo.com/pressroom/p...s-a-touch-of-inspiration-to-flexible-working/

I don't know enough about the other pen displays to provide good guidance. I think at one point, Huion required a battery in their pen (though not anymore), but I'm not sure if that means they were using an electrostatic digitizer for those models. I'm not so sure about Linux support, but you can probably search on a manufacturer's site for a Linux driver. I know XP-Pen had a Linux driver for some of their devices, so I would guess that other manufacturers would have one too.

For iPad, the only pen display solution I saw was Astropad, but that's Mac only. Sidecar and other 2nd monitor apps I've read about had significant lag when using a pen (though just fine if using as a 2nd monitor).

6. Hell-Cat

• Microsoft Surface Studio is unnecessarily expensive.
    • Panasonic toughpad is expensive and integrates CPU, GPU, and other essential computing components in the display itself. CPU, GPU, SSD, and all other essential computing components create EMF. I don't want my hands near CPU, GPU, and other computing components.
    • Lenovo Flex 5 at least contains computing components under keyboard. I don't have to use laptop keyboard and touch pad if I use a wired keyboard and a wired mice.
    • Lenovo ThinkVision M14t recommended by @jedah looks promising.
    • XP-PEN and VEIKK VK2200 seem to utilize active electrostatic pens, but I don't know whether they require electromagnetic radiation for drawing.
    • Appen Pencil emits a lot of electromagnetic radiation. I wouldn't use apple pencil, either.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That Lenovo ThinkVision m14t looks interesting! It ticks a bunch of boxes, and the projected price puts it within the reach of mere humans, (under $500 USD). Folks just have to be patient until the release date. September isn't too far off.

Though.., we've seen a couple of promising 14" pen enabled external monitors come and go over the years, and nobody seems to have gotten the formula right. Either they never get released or when they are, there are bugs in the system rendering them undesirable. So, fingers crossed; an electrostatic stand-alone drawing monitor, unless I'm mistaken, would be a first.

8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For what its worth, AES, MPP, and the Apple Pencil all use the same base Electro Static Pen tech method. Apple augments the performance of the Apple Pencil by incorporating a sensor in the tip of the pen as well as potentially offloading computations via bluetooth, but the pen itself is not solely a bluetooth pen. The electromagnetic radiation emitted by the apple pencil really shouldn't be significantly higher then what a MPP or AES pen would emit.

9. Hell-Cat

In this video, someone measured apple pencil. Apple pencil emits a lot of electromagnetic radiation. If it was possible to turn off electromagnetic radiation in apple pencil without losing the core functionalities, I might consider apple pencil.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  10. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Uh, y'know, the amount of radiation from any device's display is orders of magnitude more powerful than any pen, EMR, AES, MPP, or Apple Pencil. What's worse, EMR and AES emits non-ionizing radiation while displays actually emit blue light which is ionizing [--edit] ionizing-equivalent in its effects and causes cancer and degenerates your eyes. So you're worried about something that has no known harmful health effects, but you're pretty fine with something else that has proven, severe health effects.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020