Are there cheaper EMR alternatives to Wacom MobileStudio Pro that work on linux?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Hell-Cat, May 17, 2018.

1. Hell-Cat

Hell-Cat Pen Pal - Newbie

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?

1,000 USD?

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?

No

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?

I don't prefer any.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

Above 10 inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?

I don't know

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

None

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

At least, 3 hours

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

Drawing and painting

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

I prefer Linux.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

GIMP and Krita

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

No

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?

No

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

1080p and above

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

I'll use it outdoors, but I will draw in shades.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

EMR is for drawing

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?

SSD : 128GB and above
    RAM : 16GB preferred.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

I don't know

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

I'm also considering hooking a small pen display to a laptop.

2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

3. Hell-Cat

4. WillAdams

If you're willing to give up mobility a Wacom Cintiq?

5. Hell-Cat

I was willing to accept Wacom Cintiq 13HD if its power was supplied via something like HDMI cable, but it requires an AC adaptor. Thus, I'm going to need a power outlet or two for the laptop and Cintiq 13HD. This is no good.

I want to draw outside. Requiring at least one power outlet is no good.

6. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

You could take a look at the Notebook 9 Pro 13" which has reasonable Linux support from what I have read (not perfect). There was some chat on Reddit about using the N9P 15" with Linux plus the recent thread here discussing Linux on the Galaxy Book.

You can get the 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD version for just over $1k and up grade the SSD later on with a proper NVMe with higher capacity.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...te-drive-titan-silver/6074500.p?skuId=6074500

WillAdams likes this.
  7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ahhh. Drawing outside.

It depends on where you live but...

I find it largely a pipe dream.

The sun is too bright, reflecting off white paper, blinding you. -Or in the digital age, handily winning the "Who has more nits?" contest. (A battery operated toy or a Class M star?).

Any wind or rain, heat or cold, or fog or ocean spray or dogs in the park or sharp rocks under your bum... will disturb the process.

For me it's the mosquitoes. When I spend 20% of my attention watching for biting insects, I find it hard to get into an artistic "flow" state. -Which is not to say that there aren't perfect days and "toiling on through". I've learned some of my favorite drawing and painting lessons outdoors, for sure. Mostly trying to draw subjects I'm looking right at; then you don't have to engage your imagination and you can just ignore the ants crawling up your ankle for ten minutes. (Though, I find it easier to just bring a digital camera these days.)

When it comes down to the nitty gritty, I plan my equipment for indoors where I'll be spending 99% of my drawing time, and if a feature conducive to outdoor drawing comes along which doesn't make everything unbearably more complicated and expensive, I'll tick, "Sure, why not?".

Just my two-cents.

Also.., while I admire the principles behind Linux, when I'm actually just pushing a stylus and trying to coax a line into the shapes I see in my mind's eye.., the logo on the OS start screen and the file structure philosophy ticking through the silicone wafers are both unseen and utterly irrelevant in the artist/tool feedback loop. I decided long ago to just go with the thing which works best, screw the ideology.

(Though, that being said.., fsk Apple.)

8. WillAdams

Yeah, working outside is one of the things which I _really_ miss from my Fujitsu Stylistic ST4121 and its transflective display --- the Samsung GB12 is as close as one gets on daylight viewability w/ a consumer device these days, but as @thatcomicsguy notes, it's mostly wishful thinking (though I do manage to get reading and map usage in the car out of the device, so can't complain too much).

I've been considering one of the new E-ink tablets for mobility --- if someone makes one suitably portable, but powerful enough and w/ the new Wacom EMR stylus tech (compatible / interchangeable w/ the stylus on my GB12) I'm probably not going to be able to resist.

9. Hell-Cat

No.....

I live in city. I have none of the problems associated with drawing in the nature. When I draw outside my house, I'll draw city or people in city.
    I can draw from the rooftops.
    Or, I'll draw in cafe.

I will also visit drawing sessions which will be usually done in buildings.

Can I expect to have at least one power outlet nearby in a drawing session? Not necessarily.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  10. Hell-Cat

I found https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/6r4lbx/the_new_samsung_notebook_9_pro_is_close_to_the/

It says `Wacom Tablet Technology Built into the Touchscreen`. If it is recognized as a wacom tablet, it'll probably work on linux because linux has wacom tablet driver.

But, I still need more research.

Last edited: May 19, 2018