Are there any free PDF annotators?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Frank, Jun 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThePhoenixEffect

ThePhoenixEffect Pen Pal - Newbie

Are there any useful but free PDF annotation programs?

2. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Try Jarnal. Haven't used it much, but looks like it could be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. pibach

pibach Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, I have used Jarnal quite a lot. It is a Java programm so it works on all platforms - in theory. But somehow inking under Vista is showing some hickups, so it is only a workaround if you don't have anything else. Under Linux it is working fine however. But there, I am using xournal which is bit more responsive on the pen. This one works flawlessly but does require Linux OS. I am using Xubuntu, you can give it a try with a Live CD. No installation required. Probably pen/Wacom won't work on that, so I recommend a dual boot installation. You can do that via unetbootin over some broadband connection directly from Windows with a click, no CD required. Then just uncomment 3 Lines in file xorg.conf then the Wacom works out-of-the-box. Install xournal with Synaptics packet manager GUI tool with a click. All that takes ~1h, quite easy. No Linux skills required.

4. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I tried Jarnal but I wasn't able to annotate any PDF file. What do I have to do to annotate a PDF file?
    And useful is everything except Jarnal. Slow, not pressure sensitve and one of the most irritating and ugly interfaces I've ever seen.

To the commercial PDF annotators, I tried the trials:
    PDF Annotator: Fast, easy to use, but senseless because it saves the ink as bitmap and not as curves --> Senseless
    Bluebeam: A lot of functions, saves the ink as curves but very slow and needs all the CPU power if you write anything --> Not usable while using battery or if you want to write more than a few words ;)

5. pibach

pibach Scribbler - Standard Member

Frank, just open a background file, pdf, jpg, or whatever, as explained in the online documentation:
    http://www.dklevine.com/general/software/tc1000/jarnal-back.htm

However, as I mentioned, jarnal is not really useful under Windows that's true.

I have used Adobe's software and PDF annotator an I like xournal the most. Very responsive and resource friendly. Does not have pressure sensitivity though, but I do not know of any annotator that has that feature.

6. Frank

Ok, thanks, it worked. PDF importing is ok, PDF printing also. Nice. It saves the ink as curves. Perfect. But it's still worse than Bluebeam or even PDF Annotator, because it is almost impossible to write something small, nice or fast. It converts your ink to curves and the result is crap. Nice tool, but far far away from usable.

7. Frank

After the XP:TE right click pen fix, writing in Jarnal is ok. Not perfect, but ok.
    Still it has some limitations. Annotating a large PDF (>700MB) is impossible, sometimes the ink has some failures and the GUI is awful.

The best PDF Annotater is Bluebeam PDF Revue, not freeware, but if you study or so, not really expensive: Bluebeam PDF Revu - Standard Student Edition - Price: $30.00 @Cadopolis
    It is thousand times better and is not only a PDF annotater but also almost an Acrobat replacement.

PS: Cadopolis doesn't even want a verification that you're a student.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That link... is that the full program, or just one of the extensions/plugins? It looks like all it does is convert CAD files to PDF...

9. Frank

I bought it and it is the full version:
    Bluebeam PDF Revue Standard Edition 6.2

You get a mail from Cadopolis with the product and license key and a download link to PDF Revue, which you download from the Bluebeam website.

You're only able to install it on one PC, because it has some sort of activation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.