Are there any Asus reps here?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Loaf., Oct 3, 2006.

1. storebror

storebror Scribbler - Standard Member

I have sold my desktop (sooner than I had expected) and desperatly need to replace it with a tablet.

I have had some difficulties getting some specs from Asus and hopefully I´ll get a faster response here, if there is anyone from Asus here.

I need to know the batterylife and I need to know for sure that it is Wacom Penabled.

Thank you.

2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't know if we have any here yet, but we have several resellers in our notebook forums. I'll post over there and see if we can get a couple to come over.

3. yogi

yogi Pen Pal - Newbie

Tjena storebror. Well I could be wrong but are you from Sweden? I wasn't even aware of the possibility that the R1F might not be Wacom penabled. Keeping my fingers crossed.

4. storebror

Yes I am from Sweden.

well, I am totally new to this tabletthing, so I don´t know if any new tablets come without wacom penabled feature...I hope not.

Brian, Thank you. :D

5. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

Greetings Guys and Gals... Brian asked if we'd come over from the notebook side to help out with the new Asus Tablet and UMPC questions that seem to be popping up now that we're approaching their releases.... Anyway, for those who don't know me, I'm Justin O'Dea, president of PROPortable.... we've been importing Asus notebooks, ppc's, wireless for over five years now and although most of you won't remember Asus' first tablet (because it never made production), they've been tweaking this format since before centrino. Anyway, on to the help..

I haven't specifically seen anything in regards to language like "wacom penabled", but it is pressure sensitive, but then again I haven't used a good tablet that wasn't...... I'm familiar with Wacom and familiar with "wacom penabled" a bit..... I've had an R1f demo, but that has since gone back as the release is already more than a month behind schedule.. In terms of battery life, it was similiar, but a little better than the W7, which will pull in about 3 hours on the 6 cell battery... but that does have dedicated graphics. The screen on the tablet though uses a bit more power than that on the W7, and although I never benchmarked, I think I'm fair in stating the life was better than that, but I can't see by that much..... life at about 4 hours would be pretty good for the stock setup.

6. storebror

Hey Justin.

Thanks for the info.

3+ Hrs sounds like something I can live with (I can always get a modular extra battery)

The thing is I really need to have it expressably be wacom compatible. (just feels safer for me, as I am primarily going to use it as an art-tablet)

I have downloaded and read the entire manual from asus website, but didn´t find any signs of it.

7. PROPortable

True, that unit does have the modual bay which is really nice for a tablet.....

Yeah, basically though what I wanted to know from you was in terms of the pressure sensitive digitizer.... because I have a couple Wacom tablets and a few tablet pc's... and the digitizer on the asus is just as good as that on the Tatung we used to import (which electrovaya mainly only imports now), but diffinately the nicest convertible I've seen...... I never liked that form factor, but I think it's because I never saw Asus's take on it and never at 13.3" which is great.... for a slate 12" is great and for a convertible 14" is way too big, but 13.3" is really nice for tablet and notebook use.

8. storebror

does this say anything about possible wacom-penabled;

"Together with InfoPen software, users can record and edit images or documents as easy as on a piece of paper with color and highlighter options. The DigiPen stylus also has an eraser end and mouse control buttons so that users can now navigate a wide range of applications with single-handed ease!"

Info taken here: http://notebooks-plus.com/2006/asus-r1f-tablet-pc/

I am emailing wacom right now, since Asus are not reachable.

EDIT: I found out that someone already emailed Wacom and got this response:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Brian:
    I got this answer from our Sensor Board Technology manager, so it is
    true that the new Asus R1F Tablet PC will use our pens.
    Regards,

Sue Ovall
    Senior Customer Service Rep
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote taken from tablet PC buzz http://www.tabletpcbuzz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=36547&#218615

Hopefully I´ll get the same answer from Wacom....YAY!!!

Now the only thing that I am a little sad about is the graphics...but hey you can´t have it all and it´s bound to not get as heated without a dedicated graphics card and batteryperformance would probably be poorer with a Nvidia. :D

Now, let´s just hope I can find a swedish store that stocks this baby.

9. PROPortable

Oh right..... here's the main ad for the R1f..... notice the third picture in... I realized today exactly what you're talking... I've been spoiled because I've been using pressure sensitive tablets for at least two and half years now.. The R1f is deffinately pressure sensitive and the rear end can be used to erase... I just didn't notice anything specifically different than the Tatung we used to sell and I still have one to compare.... Basically, the pen does everything I could do with my wacom tablets... most certainly.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. yogi

yogi Pen Pal - Newbie

Storebror let me know when you find a store in sweden that has the R1F in stock....looking for the asus myself. I've been thinking about getting the FS T4210, but I think it's going to be the R1F for me. I saw that prisjakt.nu showed a couple of stores that will sell the R1f with the 1.8Ghz processor, however I'm looking for the 2Ghz. Well, if you hear anything I would appreciate the heads up