Are the convertibles worth it?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by fernando98, Jan 3, 2013.

1. fernando98

fernando98 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi everyone,
    I was eager to buy a device that combines a decent processing power, a touchscreen and portability so when I first saw the "convertibles" I thought it would be the perfect choice for me, sadly every model out there has dissapointed me until the date.

What I am searching for in such a device:
    - Big enought screen (12-13 inches preferably, maybe 11.6")
    - Wacom enabled
    - The ability to boot Linux (Ubuntu, virtualized or through BIOS)

The problem is, like many of you complain, that >11.6" devices are not wacom enabled (the fujitsu t902 is totally out of my budget) and the 11.6" devices with decent processing power are too overpriced for what they pack. I've been strugling throught the market and these are my top choices so far:

Dell XPS 12:
    Pros: Great display, great processing power, great price, I like the desing and idea
    Cons: No wacom input
    Asus VivoTab tf810c:
    Pros: Wacom input, nice desing
    Cons: Poor perfomance (Intel Atom based, would it be able to run Ubuntu through virtualization if BIOS install is not possible due to UEFI?), display rather small, a little bit too overpriced
    Samsung Ativ Smart PC pro 700t:
    Pros: decent perfomance, wacom input
    Cons: display rather small, overpriced, looks not as portable as the others, the desing does not make me comfortable

So I'd like to get some feedback from users that have already bought these devices:
    Is any of these 3 devices able to boot a Linux distro (preferably Ubuntu) throught a "classic installation" or are all three EUFI boot locked?
    If not, is possible the virtualization throught VMWare/VirtualBox or similar? How does the Asus VivoTab handle it? (I guess the other 2 could handle it fine)
    How does the VivoTab handle photo-editing/sketching software like Photoshop, Corel Paint, Sketchbook...?

Also I'd love to hear some other deivce suggestions, I'll try to give as much details as possible:
    - Budget is around 1000€, but if the device is worth it I'll pay the difference
    - I plan to use it for professional use (programming, network analysis... so that's why I need Ubuntu) and casual use (ofimatics, web browsing, movies, taking notes, photo-editing/sketching software...)
    - I don't like railed devices like the Vaio 11, besides that I don't care about form factor (wether if it's a convertible or a ultrabook)
    - Due to the purpose of using the device for taking notes and sketch I would like to have a active digitalizer
    - It should be (reasonably) portable

To sum up, do you think any of these devices is worth the money regarding the use I plan to give it? Or maybe another device not listed above? If not, are there any rumors of any device coming out that suits what I am looking for? (The Asus Transformer Book looks great, but from what I've read it looks like it won't be Wacom penabled either)

Thanks in advance.
    Have a nice day.

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

No Atom Devices will support Hardware Virtualization as it isn't enabled in the Instruction Set. Any of the Core i models in theory should support Virtualization and with Windows 8 Pro or above, Hyper-V is a role that you can enable. Another option to consider is the Sony Duo Slider. UEFI is going to be an issue on most new Windows 8 devices if you are wanting to boot to Linux.

Another option is the Sandybridge or older models that still use the legacy BIOS.