Are all R1Fs affected by the battery wear problem?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by frnchung, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Agree...
    The batteries are covered by a 12 month warranty so there should not be any issues.
    Further, you should not be paying for shipping either.

Which ASUS support centre are you dealing with cecirdr?

2. cecirdr

cecirdr Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't know which center it was. I called the number at the bottom of my RMA email. It rang for a long time and I almost hung up. But eventually a woman with a strong asian accent answered. I had a bit of a time understanding her. But she was adamant that they'd only cross ship if my laptop is no more than 2 months old. On rare occasion they'll do it up to 2.5 months.

She was so curt and wouldn't even try to help out...I was stunned. I mean it's not like I was asking for a freebie. I plan to pay for the replacement battery until they get my old one.

Anyway, I have to find the time to deal with my laptop being more like a desktop and tethered to a power supply. Who knows how long this thing's gonna take. UPS ground from the east coast to CA takes a while. Since I have to pay shipping, I don't want to pay more than ground cost.

3. DustinGreen

DustinGreen Pen Pal - Newbie

Cecirdr,

When I replaced my battery, I did the following:

1. I called them and told them what the situation was (At this point I didn't ask about cross-shipping).
    2. They sent me an email with my RMA#.
    3. I then called 1-888-678-3688 option "4". I asked them if they could do the cross-ship and then they took down all of the info.
    4. They then sent me another email confirmation.

I don't know if this is the same number you called, but I would call again and try to get someone else on the line. It is worth a shot.

4. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As DustinGreen says above; ring again and calmly state the problem you are in.

Legally, if the battery is faulty you are entitled to a replacement and that should also include any shipment costs as well.

5. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

When I got mine cross-shipped, I called them on the 1-888-678-3688 option "4" number and requested a cross-ship in polite terms. The person answering didn't know, so I got transferred to a supervisor who authorized it and sent out a second RMA email with the agreement to cross ship forms. It might be noted that I offered to put down a deposit when talking to the first person, without directly asking for a cross-ship.

I too wonder why, of all companies I've dealt with, that Asus is the only one where the customer has to pay for shipping to get service.

6. Synthesis

Synthesis Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys stupid question but what's the number you call for a North America RMA? I emailed them but never got a response and my battery is really beginning to die now...

7. Vladimir

Vladimir Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, this is my first post here.
    I am also affected by the battery wear problem and the battery life also went down considerably in the last 2 months.
    One thing I noticed however is that the remaining battery charge is not reported correctly. If I disable the option to go into Standby it runs fine for another hour or so after Windows shows 0% remaining. Like this the battery life is 3h and not just 2h.
    Recalibrating the battery in the BIOS made things worse as Windows reports it even lower than before.:confused:

8. cecirdr

Vladimir, I also noticed that calibrating the battery with in the bios didnt' help. It actually made things worse since it completely depleted the battery. Afterward, my battery life had dropped even further. There appears to be some connection to doing full depletion and seeing loss of battery life. Ever since I noticed the connection, I haven't let my battery drop below 40-50% life remaining (it's hard when you only have 2 hours tops). Now my battery life is stable. It's not dropping any more.

But if you can only use part of a battery's charge or it'll start having issues, that means that even when I get my new battery in, I should watch to make sure it doesn't go below 40% or so or it'll start suffering the same fate. This is my speculation...I have no data to prove my theory. But it just "looks that way" to me based on my experience.

I think I recall a version of the apple ipod that had to have a firmware upgrade because battery life was getting reported incorrectly *and* the software was shutting the ipod down at 0% even though there was battery life left.

FWIW, I called the number everyone mentioned in the RMA email. But I'll keep trying until I get a person who will work with me and do a cross ship. Someone there has got to be reasonable. I really hate the idea of having my laptop become a tethered paper weight while I wait for UPS to drive my battery over 2000 miles to California.

9. cecirdr

Argh! I called back and I think I got the same lady. She was now adamant that 30 days was the cut off for cross shipping! After I refused to hang up and told her that my laptop is used as a portable and 100% on battery power and I couldn't be without it, she offered to put in request for cross shipping. If approved, I'll get an email.

Geeze....I must have some bad karma to get the same service person. Then again...the only time I remember to call is in the afternoons.

Sigh....Here's hoping that somebody will be reasonable.

10. Vladimir

Vladimir Pen Pal - Newbie

Cecirdr, hope they will cross ship your battery. I will wait to see if anything happens with this. As it stands right now the battery life is the biggest probelm with this notebook. My old HP nx7000 still lasts for over 4h on the 3.5 year old battery, olny problem is that the board has a problem now. :(
    Will have to speak again with Asus, hopefully I can also swap the Matu****a drive for a proper DVD drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.