Are all R1Fs affected by the battery wear problem?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by frnchung, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eva04

eva04 Scribbler - Standard Member

Umm just to let you guys know, the warranty on the battery is different to the actual laptop, it is 6 months not 12 or 24. This was confirmed when I went to the Asus service centre in Melbourne (within 12months of purchase) to have my friends battery exchanged. They made us buy a new one.

Cheers,
    Will

EDIT: Sorry I've just read the R1F warranty card and it seems the R1F's warranty on batteries is 12 months unlike 6 months for previous Asus laptop models.

2. jdwilson

jdwilson Scribbler - Standard Member

I want to thank PROPortable and a few others for pointing out the error of my ways. I have readjusted my imagination. Now when my battery seems to go out after 1:50, I just realize that it is my imagination that got started again and that the battery is of course normal, and isn't actually wearing out. So I just keep working, and I have managed to stop imagining the blank screen and see the monitor as it truly is in reality, filled with impressive graphics and great writing.

Unfortunately, when it does actually come time to shut down and recharge the battery, there seems to be a glitch. The work I did during the last hour of battery life seems to be missing. Can anyone help me out here?

3. cecirdr

cecirdr Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, I just got off the phone with Asus and they won't cross ship me a battery (I already have an RMA #) to replace my bad one because I bought the laptop on Oct 20th...too long ago.

So, I've got this laptop that I can't use for the next week or so because I require running on batteries, *and* I have to pay postage. Cripes... Now I don't want to bother doing this until I know that the replacement battery isn't going to have the same problem.

BTW...I read what proportable said, but it's not my imaginantion when I was getting over 3:10 per charge when I first got the laptop, but now I'm getting 2:15 on the same setting. I've lost an hour of capacity in 3 months.

Sigh....is there any such thing as customer service any more? They all say sorry with such a "smiling" voice.

Ceci

4. The Niles

The Niles Scribbler - Standard Member

No one says you guys don't have bad batteries (even ASUS knows as they swap them out) but that does not mean there is a general problem with R1F batteries.

5. cecirdr

It was said that "excess wear is a figment of their imagination". My experience sure shows excess wear. Yes, it's likely a bad battery, and there sure are lots of people here having a similar problem. That might imply that asus got a huge order of bad batteries from their supplier. Whatever the reason, the exchange process renders my laptop useless and I have no way to tell whether they're tracking down the issue, so I risk having to go through this PITA again if I get a bad replacement battery.

So, I'm waiting to hear a finalized solution to the headphone port static issue, my fingerprint scanner is coming loose, and my battery is rapidly dying. I can't afford to send my laptop in for repair until there's some assurance that the company has *really* gotten to the bottom of the problems. So far that hasn't been forthcoming.

Now, why in the world asus won't cross ship me a battery (charge my card and credit me when they receive my battery back) is beyond me. Not allowing this is causing me a major headache.

6. Gennaro

Gennaro Pen Pal - Newbie

Err, i know this is an ASUS thread...but it has to do with battery wear, and is a quick question :D.

Anyways, I got the 6 cell modular battery for my gateway, and I discharge it down to (err, as low as it goes?) and then the power is drawn from the main battery...is this bad? Should I remove the battery when it hits, say 10%?

7. The Niles

The Niles Scribbler - Standard Member

It shouldn't matter. Older Li Ion batteries would be hurt by discharging too deeply but today's batteries have safe guards to prevent too deep a discharge. If you want to play it safe you could remove it sooner but it shouldn't be necessary.

8. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

The people that have bad batteries (myself included) have the perception that this is more than just a localized problem - that there is a batch of R1Fs that was sold that had bad batteries. To compound matters, the replacement batteries for those that RMAed their original batteries are from the same batch of batteries and exhibit the exact same results.

The symptoms are that the battery starts off at maximum battery life, after a charge/discharge cycle (I'm talking like down to 15%...not even a full cycle), the battery will now hold 95% of its original life. After another cycle, it will hold less and so on so forth. While some might argue that, in that case, do not discharge your batteries down to 15%, I feel that this should have been rectified by Asus with the battery exchange so that the problem does not persist after changing the battery once. I have had other laptops and they do not "lose" charge, even after a year or two of usage with deep discharges nearly every day. Case in point, my 3-year old Powerbook gets almost four hours of battery life still to this day with the wireless off. My three month old R1F started near 3:40 and dropped to slightly over an hour and a half in two months. After replacing the battery and finding it has the same problem - trying to keep the battery above 15%, sometimes I would go under slightly and upon recharge, the battery would have lost another 3-5% of its maximum battery life.

I just think that it is much more than a figment of our imagination and that by posting about it, I can encourage other people with the same problem to also call Asus, letting them know that there is a problem that they need to fix.

9. cecirdr

Tsukiyomi,

Thanks for letting me know this isn't my imagination. I, like you, regularly discharged my battery down to the low warning prompt....daily. My maximum battery life (same settings, doing the same things), dropped almost daily.

Now, I have to keep my laptop tethered to the charger or make sure to not let it drop too low. Since doing that, my battery life stabilized at 2:15 or so.

I don't want to go to the trouble of turning my battery in until I know that asus has gotten a good shipment of batteries. I'm also concerned about the modular bay battery. Does anyone know if it behaves more normally.

BTW, I've had laptop computers from the apple wallstreet and tibook to a fujitsu. None have shown this accelerated "wear". Whatever you want to call it, the battery life of my new laptop is less than the life on my 3 year old laptop, but it started out having longer life. I've used Li ion batts for years in my digital cameras and I've seen batteries take less and less charge (or last less time depending on how you want to phrase it), but it happens after *many* discharge cycles, not 3 months worth.

Anyway, does anyone know if the modular bay battery exhibits the same symptoms. (losing capacity after deep discharges)? And is there any way to tell when asus gets a new batch of batteries that might not be affected?

10. DustinGreen

DustinGreen Pen Pal - Newbie

Cecirdr

I can't believe they won't cross ship. I purchased by computer only about 9 days before you did and they accepted my request for a cross ship. If the battery has a year warranty on it, I don't understand what the problem would be. That is ridiculous. I myself am still a little ticked off that they wouldn't pay for my shipping.

In addition, I have had my new battery for about 2 weeks now and everything is running well so far. It is still probably too early to tell if there will be a problem, but I also haven't taken my battery below about 38% for fear that it will start to go bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.