Are all R1Fs affected by the battery wear problem?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by frnchung, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frnchung

frnchung Computer Enthusiast

Are all R1Fs affected by the battery wear problem?
    When do they plan to fix it? Because I'm looking to buy this laptop this summer, but if it has this battery wear problem, I might look elsewhere. Any advice?

2. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Welcome to the board.

It seems to affect more people more than others. To me, it's not bad at all and I would highly recommend an R1F.

On the plus side, the battery is covered under warranty so if you do have problems, you can get support for 24 months.

3. kudoskun

kudoskun Scribbler - Standard Member

More like 12 months under asus warranty for the original battery. They make it a point to let you know.

4. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

12 months for just the battery? I didn't know that.

5. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

what i wanted to know was the users that have been complaining about a problem with the batteries, what has their use with the batteries been like.
    Have they been draining the batteries & then charging up to full, or charging them when they haven't been drained, really concerned about the battery complaints, coming from a toshiba, which i've had impressive battery experience with.

6. The Niles

The Niles Scribbler - Standard Member

Most manufacturers only give six or even just three months warranty on batteries. 12 months is pretty generous.

7. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes... As far as I know ASUS are the only manufacturers who offer such a generous (and dangerous) warranty.
    Full marks to ASUS for this.

8. cecirdr

cecirdr Scribbler - Standard Member

My R1F has wear issues. It's lost 1/3 of it's life in 3 months. I use my laptop on battery daily and discharge it to the low battery warning frequently. I charge it up fully overnight.

I have an RMA number and intend to call Asus to see about cross shipping the replacement battery since I don't want to be without one while shipping out my old battery.

I hope the new battery doesn't mind being discharged completely. Given how I use my new laptop, it's impossible to avoid doing that. I've had laptops in the past that lost 1/3 of the original battery life....but that was after 2-3 years! The big difference is that I bought the R1F to be portable and to that end I use it's battery *much* more frequently than I did my other laptops which I tended to use the battery only occasionally...often leaving it plugged in. With my old laptops, I seldom used the batteries past 1/2 discharge and I only used battery power 1-2 times per week.

Ceci

9. The Niles

I have to admit all these reports about bad batteries has made me worried again. I had finally decided on going for the R1F over the M7 but reading so many people having the same problems is making me look at the M7 again and for a very unexpected reason.

I had decided on the R1F for two main reasons. The first is price, standard price for the R1F is €170 cheaper then the M7. The second was the better battery life of the R1F.

I will use this tablet as a mobile workstation for my final year of university. The year in which I need to write my thesis which will carry me far and wide. Having good battery life is essential for that. Being in the middle of my thesis research with a €1650 tablet that has a battery life of 2 hours is not acceptable. So even though the M7 has poorer battery life to begin with is seems like the safer bet now.

10. The Niles

Okay, after getting a little scarred by all the stories I messaged PROPortable about this issue and got this reply.

Pretty clear cut to me. I then contacted ASUS Holland and asked them about the issue. They claimed they have absolutely no knowledge of any problem with the R1F battery and that any battery showing excessive wear can be returned to ASUS.

Probably going to order my R1F tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.