Are 8" windows tablets still being made?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by spinedoc77, Oct 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm not really seeing any new 8" tablets out there, but I haven't really scoured very hard. Lenovo as usual has an awful website, but I don't see anything new, only 2 yoga models. Dell seems to have the same venue pro as last year. Asus still has the vivotab note 8. Acer still has the tab. What's comical is they all still have windows 8.1.

I'm giving away my asus note 8 to a friend who had her ipad mini stolen, so I'm in the market and wanted to buy the latest 8" gadget. But it seems as if the 8" windows tablet market has been abandoned.

2. dprice7

dprice7 Scribbler - Standard Member

IMO, Win10 stinks for 8" tablets... It seems like the first round of them dropped down to $200 or less pretty quickly, so there's probably not much money in it. It's a shame, dell makes a pretty swanky android tablet and a meh windows refresh.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Toshiba makes the Encore Write 2 in an 8" model. Probably the newest model on the market right now despite being six months old.

4. Jeff1

Jeff1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Can you explain specifically why?

5. spinedoc77

I've been doing some research and I saw that one, looks pretty nice. I also saw the HP Pro Tablet 608 G1 which looks VERY nice, 2048 x 1536, cherrytrail, stylus/digitizer (Atmel...bleh), 128gb/4gb, LTE, front facing speakers, USB-C, etc. $699 though for that model, but it's the nicest one I've seen so far, definitely on my very short, short list.

6. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

To my knowledge it is the only model currently in production. All the rest have been discontinued, and I haven't heard of any impending refreshes.

7. dprice7

Wow.. That HP tablet... Looks like they threw the kitchen sink at it.

8. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I think they designed it from the ground up with corporate business users in mind. Hence, a price geared towards a corporate IT budget.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

9. spinedoc77

Hmm the Yoga 2 8" doesn't look bad on first glance. 1920x1200 is a step up at least. I'm curious if it gets better battery life with that battery hump. +1 also for the kickstand, I never understood why no one else likes kickstands, to me I don;'t think I'd buy a tablet without one.

10. dprice7

Win10 is the answer to mouse users who bitched about Win8. Now all of the UI elements are less touch friendly... Context menus, tabs, no gestures, persistent taskbar, gimped functionality on the charms replacement. I ditched my 7" android tablet when the dell venue 8 pro came out.. I upgraded it to Win10 and now I just get pissed off and use my phone.

Starlight5 and efjay like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.