Apps for Tablet PC

Discussion in 'Software' started by lblb, Apr 4, 2013.

1. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

The touch toggle doesn't seem to work on my S7S Win 8.

I don't have a "Touch" or "Multi Touch" option under my HID option:
    Device Manager.jpg
    See pic attached.

I'm using the latest Wacom Feel IT driver

2. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hi ron2k_1,

I think you should still be able to use this. It may be any of the first five "HID compliant device", you just have to find which one it is. Here are a few things you can try:

- Look at the "Device Instance Path" for each of these five devices. Does any of them correspond to the number for he S7 that is written in the text file that opens up when you click "List of known codes" on the setup window?
    - If not, look at the list of numbers in that file: you are looking for a number similar to these. So if any of the devices has a number that's really different (for example, some HID devices have WACOM in the name), that's not it.
    - When you double-click on one of the devices, in the window that pops-up there is sometimes a better description of what it is on the "General" tab. If it says "touch" there, this might be it.
    - The sure way to determine if you'll be able to use this is to (other users on this forum have had success this way):
    1) in the setup window, save the number for the first device (follow the instructions on the setup window)
    2) exit the setup window
    3) click the tray icon (it should become red). Is touch now disabled? If not, then this is the wrong device.
    4) Re-enable the device by clicking on the tray icon (it should become white).
    5) Repeat steps 1-4 for the second device.​

Does any of this work for you?

3. lblb

Hi hunter99,

Going from the EP121 to the Helix seems like a big bump in performance! Enjoy your new toy! You're more courageous than I am in that I really try to stay away from Win8. It seems that most issues have been slowly worked out but I am completely satisfied with the very stable Win7. In addition, I really only ever use touch input when using scripts derived from Koide's so Win8 doesn't have much appeal to me.

About Tray Touch Toggle:
    - Thanks for the kind words. Good karma may not be the objective, but it's sure welcome! It seems to work well. The main challenge here was really to figure out how to interrogate the system about the state of the HID device (i.e. to know if it's enabled or disabled). It's rather straightforward with a batch file, but a little trickier with AHK.
    - Thanks for your device numbers, I'll add them to the list.
    - And thanks a lot for the links about device ID's, these have answered quite a few of the questions I had.

About TabletPC Tray Helper:
    - I most certainly missed Selofain's issue with Bluetooth so thanks a lot for bringing it to my attention. Your fix is exactly what is needed (I actually don't remember why I decided to limit the input to numbers…)
    - I will include your corrections in the next version that I will hopefully be able to upload soon. In fact, by working on Tray Touch Toggle I learned quite a lot about the HID/touch stuff and I have already made quite a few corrections to the way touch is handled for Win 8 in TabletPC Tray Helper. There are currently a few errors in Helper 1.0 that may make the touch stuff unusable for some Win8 users. Update coming soon!

About Koide's stuff:
    - I'm glad to hear that these scripts still work in Win8 and also when you turn off touch through the HID devices. Man, that script truly is amazing in the real sense of the word. Maybe one day I'll be able to understand half of how it works!
    - I didn't know that these scripts worked correctly on the Helix. That's good news!
    - Glad to hear you're still using the MultiPanel app! I still use it every day, although my current version is very different from the one I shared. I've learned a lot about AHK since I prepared that one (seems like such a long time ago)! As you mention, there is a lot of things that it does in tortuous and indirect ways that I now know how to do more directly in AHK (yeah, these DOS windows and many of the indirect shortcuts are long gone in my version!) I've just never felt compelled to upload an updated version.
    - For the screen magnification issues: Could the fact that the touch doesn’t align with the keys be due to the version of AHK you are using? If you just installed the newest version of AHK on your Helix, that’s probably the version that has the autoscaling option for GUI’s. This has proven to be problematic on the version of ArtDock for the Surface Pro. The solution was to either install a previous version of AHK (see post #38: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/microsoft/55516-new-artdock-surface-pro-4.html#post331988) or turn off the autoscaling option in the script (see post #44: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/microsoft/55516-new-artdock-surface-pro-5.html#post332715).
    - For the #Profiles information: That seemed to come from a three-step process. First, Koide shared a diagnostic tool on his now defunct blog. I have attached it in two zip files below (just extract everything out of the two zip files, I just needed to use two files because one file was too large to upload here). After the user ran the tool he asked them to send him the results by e-mail. Second, Koide would interpret the results he was sent. I haven’t tried to make sense of the tool output or even to see if it can be directly related to the #Profile data. Maybe it’s straightforward, or maybe there is an important piece of info that Koide didn’t share. I just haven’t put any time into this. Whatever the process was, it wasn’t completely foolproof as the third step was that Koide shared is new version with the user and they needed a bit of back and forth (and trial and error) to get to the final values. Sorry I can’t be of more help than this.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  4. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

And yep. I found it. It was the forth one down the line. The first 3 under location in the device properties said "on wacom device".

The ID under the 4th HID is the same as the one you already included in the code document.

Thanks for your work

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

5. lblb

Excellent!
    It's good to see that this tray icon method to turn touch on/off seems to be working on all Win8 systems so far (at least Wacom systems). Thanks for confirming that it works on the S7.

6. hunter99

hunter99 To Old Now

Hi lblb:
    Yes, I'm not too fond of Windows 8, it wants to control too much what I want to do. Seems to have a nasty habit of changing file permissions. Anyway I'll keep the Helix for a while and then probably give it to one of my grandkids. Like you, I rarely use touch and that Metro interface looks like it was designed by Mattelsoft. But some like it and love it, to each their own. For me Win7 is the best there is from MS. Never a BSOD.
    Maybe the old method of touchgate will work in Windows 8.1, and we can stop using the HID's. These can be very dangerous (for me anyway), twice I disabled all of the devices and if it wasn't for controlpanel-->troubleshooting-->Hardware and Sound-->Hardware and Devices I might have had to reload the OS. As it was it took 20 minutes to get it back. All the hardware devices were disabled except for the touchpad and keyboard.(off the BIOS). Anyway check out these links if you can find time.

Microsoft-Windows-TabletPC-Platform-Input-Core -TabletPC-Platform-Input-Core
    TouchGate -Touchgate -specifies whether touch input is turned on
    TouchUI -TouchUI -removed in win 8,back in win 8.1 (why the old regwrite not work?)

As far as the scaling problem, I had just started to look at, and naturally I zeroed in on the exotic. The -DPIScale command was used in the "Hover Icons (mod. for new AHK 1.1.11.0-h99 v.1A)" zip file that I replaced in post 20 on June 25. I had put a edit on post 25 about the red frame being fixed and should have mentioned I updated the zip file in post 20. Had it all fixed by the time I read your post. Touch and key alignment now seems perfect. Here are a few links related to scaling:
    Scaling links:
    DPI - DPI
    DPI
    http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/blue-automatic-desktop-display-scaling
    http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/hands-windows-81-desktop-display-scaling

The basic problem with scaling partly lies with Microsoft. It does appear to be a very hard thing to handle. The other trouble is the physical size and logical DPI of the different screens. There really is no DPI in screens, it's PPI (pixels per inch). So a GUI made on a low-resolution screen shows smaller on a high-resolution. If we didn't use -DPIScale the GUI would appear huge on a high PPI screen. I made some changes in hover icons to work with helix 1080 screen. Up to about 140% the new buttons look good, over that figure they kind of crunch in together. So I added a test so when that limit is reached they turn to radio buttons, and it still looks pretty good. This problem exists in Windows 7 and Windows 8. I will be replacing the zip file post 20 shortly.

About Koide's stuff:
    I guess I wasn't too clear on using his script; no touch on the GUI does not work with the touch turned off.Sorry about the misunderstanding on that.
    EDIT: Problem is no profile for Helix. Still needs the HID run commands for the on/off keys.
    But DO NOT USE unless you have one of the 6 tablets listed in the AHK script as you lose all
    touch. So no need for the dock.
    End EDIT.
    Thanks for the zip file but I had that, as well as the other one he posted "tool_RawInputCheck2.ahk". That's the one I was interested in as there seems to be quite a few inputs to it. I looked at those last fall and could not make any sense, still can't. Don't need them now so they may look at it in a later date. Again I wasn't too clear.
    I really never wanted to touch his script, as I believe Koide's intent was that any changes would be made in the control file(text files) except for new controls and such. Nothing specific to just one use, like push key prints time. But he seems to be no longer available. I hope he is in good health and doing well. Hopefully Windows 8 will go the way of Millennium and Vista.
    Happy Programming

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  7. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

So that whole HID hardware thing- on my T901, at least, the touch ID seems to change when I install different Wacom drivers. I saw this when upgrading from Fujitsu drivers to Wacom ones, and again tonight when I installed Wacom's newest driver (yay no more memory leak!). I made sure to take a really close look, and the change was literally from a 1 to a 2. Tiny change, but enough. It's the single digit between &'s right at the end before the 0005. Actually, I just had a look at the one I posted in this thread, and it looks like that number was a 0, back when I was on Fujitsu drivers.

Not that it really matters, but I thought I'd post so that it's out there in case other people run into this issue.

8. vitor

vitor Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

Just for the sake of sharing information:

Tray Touch Toggle (64bit) instaled and working flawlessly.

Details:

- System + computer see signature.
    - HID-compliant device:
    - Device type: Human Interface Devices
    - Manufacturer: (Standard system devices)
    - Device Instance Path: HID\VID_056A&PID_010D&MI_01&COL01\8&2E63F50D&0&0000

Thank you SOOOOOO much.

9. hunter99

hunter99 To Old Now

We have been hunting for a way to toggle the touch in Win8 and keep the touch working for the
    various Docks that are around; all the ones using Koide's masterpiece. The ones that change
    the registery won't work in Win8. Disabling the HID works but its like turning off the the master switch
    and you lose the touch in the Docks. I tested this one in my EP121 (Win7) and Helix (Win8) and seems to work fine.
    It works by hooking into wintab. Just in desktop, not Metro. If you are using it and go in Metro to launch, say Taskmgr;
    you may have to hit the touch key twice when back in desktop and taskmgr still active. After second touch you are good to go.
    With touch off the hot points (in desktop) still work so you can bring up the charm bar, or you can always use the pen.
    Big thing, if you forget and leave touch off, and shutdown the restart brings it back. But when running it puts
    a icon on the system tray and you can toggle it from there. As always, you can put it on the task bar if you wish.

In Win7 I'm using Wacom's ISD_DualTouch_702-21, Win8 is ISD_DualTouch_711-12
    I first heard of TGuard here: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/microsoft/55516-new-artdock-surface-pro-5.html post 45 by zacly.
    So here it is right under our noses.

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/samsung/54246-art-dock-software-windows-8-a-print.html

See gahfe's post (a great find), page 1 2nd one down 12-10-2012
    The link is here:
    butimaru

Last post there was May 2013 --- but many thanks go to the blogger/programmer:
    Tabby (Butimaru) who says he is "Obsolete Burnout programmer Tablet PC idiot"
    He must be related to Koide.

Go to the 2012 archives , about half way down, dated 12/2/2012 Sunday is this:
    TGuard.exe Ver0.4
    gives you this link --https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17137175/TGuard.zip

I didn't need the dll in either machine, just put TGuard.exe in the AutoHotkey folder.

I'm posting it here in case the link is down, also the key changes for Artdock.
    The #Controls were changed to Key and DownCommands added.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; Menu TouchOn
    #Control:Key
    Name=TouchON
    Pos=10, 0, 50, 50
    DownCommand=C:program Files/AutoHotkey/tguard.exe -on
    Image1=img\AD_TouchON.bmp
    Image2=img\AD_DownButton.bmp
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; Menu TouchOff
    #Control:Key
    Name=TouchOffName
    Pos=130, 0, 50, 50
    DownCommand=C:program Files/AutoHotkey/tguard.exe -off
    Image1=img\AD_TouchOFF.bmp
    Image2=img\AD_DownButton.bmp
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attached Files:

10. lblb

Thanks everyone for your feedback, much appreciated. I've been away on vacation for the last two weeks and will be back next week. I will reply more appropriately then. Cheers!